World Team Trophy 2010?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Mar 21, 2010.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Is this event happening this year? Or was last year just an experiment?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I remember reading somewhere last year that it would not be held this year. Guess it will all depend on which (Asian?) country might be able to afford to host it in the future?

3. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Wasn't the original plan to hold it every two years (as not to conflict with the Olympics)? So we may see it in 2011.

4. Squibble

Squibble New Member

http://www.isuskating.sportcentric....-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html

I remember someone's posting something to that effect somewhere on FSU last season, but I couldn't find any official announcement. Perhaps the ISU hasn't decided yet whether it will stage the event in the 2011-12 season.

5. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I think it takes place every two years, like Winter Universiade.

:)

6. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

From what I remember it is supposed to take place every year EXCEPT during Olympic year because the calendar is too crowded.

AFAIK the Team competition will take place next year, probably in Tokyo [but somewhere in Japan, because the Jap TV company is paying for it.]

7. draqq

draqq New Member

The World Team Trophy will be taking place every year except during an Olympic year (so as not to extend the season too far for such a year). Japan will be the host of the event for several years under contract. Beyond that, who knows. But I can get behind any competition that gives great skaters more money, because hey, they need it.

8. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I BELIEVE the WTT is intended to be held every year except Olympic years. There is another thread on how the ISU doesn't follow their own rules. Last year, the ISU sent an invitation to Yu-Na to skate in the WTT exhibition, even though she did not qualify for the actual competition. That would normally be against ISU rules, but I think there is a loophole in the WTT rules that allow such invitations.

9. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Deleted!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  10. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!