World Medalist, no GPF

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by icellist, Sep 30, 2012.

1. icellist

icellist Member

It just dawned on me that Laura Lepisto is the only world medalist of any discipline to never have made it to the Grand Prix Final in her career (can someone check?). Albeit, I know her career was cut short by an injury, but are there any other rare skaters like her?

I have to say she's really lucky that she brought "it" at the right time and event.

2. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Vanessa Gusmeroli, 1997 World bronze medalist, never made the Grand Prix Final.

3. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Artur Gachinski, 2011 World bronze medalist, has also never made the GPF as a senior.

4. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Stefan Lindemann (2004 World bronze medalist) never competed in the GPF either.

5. icellist

icellist Member

:D I love to be proven wrong. (but IMHO Gachinski didn't really deserve that medal)

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Gachinski brought it at the right time and event. He didn't zayak for all a lot or single any jumps and was on. Sure lots say he should only get 3 or 4 in PCS but that's not the norm for the last flight of skaters.

7. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Brought what? She doubled three triples in the free and landed only three triples. Her bronze medal was a fluke and was hotly debated around these parts if I remember correctly. ;)

8. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Agreed if Mirai hadn't had a meltdown Laura would never have been on the podium.

9. misskarne

misskarne #408

You can't exactly count someone who a) is only just about to start his third Senior season and b) someone who is only 19 years old.

10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Did Gusmeroli ever make it to GPF? What about Elena Sokolova?

11. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

As stated above, Vanessa never made the GPF, and if I recall correctly Cupcake made it 3 or 4 times, the last being back in the 05-06 season.

12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yes, for Elena Sokolova, it's the contrary. IIRC, she made the GPF, but didn't make World team, in 1999 (???) !

13. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

What about 1995 World Bronze Medallist, Nicole Bobek.

There is also footage of Bobek in her last season as an eligible skater competing at the 1998 Lalique Trophy where she skated her long program to Evita.

She won the short ahead of Maria Butyrskaja (who went on to win the World title in 1999) but she doubled three of six triples in the free skate.

Other than that, it was a pretty good skate.

14. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I almost hate to bring this up, but Sonja Henie won 10 Worlds and never skated in a GP Final! :rofl::yikes::scream::lol:

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

So who should have medalled instead.

16. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

I would've loved for Michal to get bronze :D but he didn't exactly do wonderfully with falling on two jumps.

17. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

Carolina Kostner had not yet made it to the GPF when she won her first world medal in 2005. She obviously has since, but her first GPF wasn't until the 07/08 season.

18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

If Herma Szabo, Fritzi Burger, Cecil Smith, Hilde Holovsky, Fritzi Burger, Vivi-Anne Hultén, Megan Taylor and Cecilia Colledge hadn't had their meltdowns, Henie would have zero gold medals to her name.

Just sayin'.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  19. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Why not? At the moment, he is a World medalist who has never made the GPF. Of course, this could change or it could not. However, at the present moment he is part of that group.

20. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

I know it's slightly off subject but I think Tara Lipinski won two Champions Series Finals/Grand Prix Finals but never won a Grand Prix event.
    But I thought she should have won the 1997 Laliique Trophy.

21. briancoogaert

Based on reputation ? :p

22. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

No, I just thought Tara had done enough to win. It was a very average skate from her but the program was better IMO. Hubert skated really well but the choreography did nothing for me.
    I liked Tanja Szewzenko's free much more than Tara's in the Champion Series Final.
    The 1997 Champion Series Events were fantastic. I have fond memories of it.
    Chen Lu, Szewzenko & Butyrskaya at the NHK Trophy a high point.

23. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

The criteria that makes up someone getting into the GPF doesn't mean someone is lucky to have a world medal and not a never a GPF appearance.

The selection process alone is daunting. If you are coming off an injury in the summer, if your luggage is lost and you can't compete so you miss one of the competitions, you can't get a visa, you skated the short but were too sick to skate the free, etc...all of these are reasons to be kept out of the GPF even if you won the first GP you were assigned.

You could have won all competitions all year. Has anyone even made the GPF with one competition? I doubt it. So being a world medalist who never went to the GPF is really no big deal, especially if you are still young. you could be that good and just unlucky in the beginning of the season. Even two seasons in a row.

24. briancoogaert

I don't remember exactly, but I think Michelle Kwan could be at the GPF in 2002-2003 after her win at Skate America.

25. julieann

She did win Skate America in 2002-her only competition, and I don't know why she wouldn't have gone to the GPF if she could have-she didn't (it was 10 years ago I can't remember if she was injured) I don't see point wise how anyone today could make it even if they win a gold.

26. screech

screech Well-Known Member

All this GPF talk is reminding me of the year EMANUEL won the GPF because Plushy Nobu'd his LP by doing an extra combo (before they changed the rule to allow 3).

Oh how I miss Eman.

27. Nours

Nours Active Member

Plushenko made it to the GPF in 2005 and won it, if I remember correctly, with only one event : 2004 COR.

28. julieann

Plushenko was actually the first alternate that year and only got to go because Johnny Weir dropped out.

29. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Michelle was taking the "GP" season off that year (she did it after Nagano Olys, also); she only did SA as a "substitute" at the request of the USFS, after OGM Sarah Hughes withdrew (I suppose they needed a really big name after Sarah's withdrawal). So, she refused her chance to go to the GPF.

30. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Rudy Galindo 1996 World Bronze Medalist? Did he ever make a Champions Series Final? Or Phillippe Candeloro?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012