World Ladies Medalist Poll

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jan 30, 2011.

?

Who will medal?

1. Cynthia Phaneuf

3.9%
  2. Alissa Czisny

51.9%
  3. Rachael Flatt

1.9%
  4. Miki Ando

51.5%
  5. Mao Asada

59.2%
  6. Kanako Murakami

12.6%
  7. Yuna Kim

82.0%
  8. Carolina Kostner

9.2%
  9. Sarah Meier

0.5%
  10. Alena Leonova

1.5%
  11. Ksenia Makarova

1.0%
  12. Kiira Korpi

6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

You knew it was coming...multiple choice allowed- pick up to 3!

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Kim will win.

The silver and bronze will come out of some combination of Asada, Czisny, Ando, Korpi, Kostner, and Murakami, depending who rises to the occasion.

Zero chance of Meier, Phaneuf, Flatt, Leonova, or Makarova being on the World podium.

3. krenseby

krenseby New Member

But which one of these do you see possibly finishing in the top 5?

4. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Best of the competition will win because ice is slippery as you know.

I just want everybody can do their best as they prepared for the game.

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Didn't Meier announce that Euros was her last competition?

6. judgejudy27

Leonova or Makarova of those have the best chance of top 5 IMO.

7. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Thank you very much. I just want to see Yuna skate again. The bots might care about the result but I don't. :D

Alissa is carrying the momentum, she's having a great season. Mao is getting her mojo back, Miki is always going to be a threat, and there's always one European girl will challenge the podium.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  8. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I picked Alissa, Miki and Yu-Na.

I wish Alissa to be on the Worlds podium. She’s a lovely skater and having a great season.

Miki is a consistently excellent jumper and always has been strong at Worlds.

I’m a big fan (no secret) of Yu-Na and just happy getting to see her new programs. Win or lose not important.

I want to see Sarah at the Worlds one more time. Congratulations on her major championship title. She more than deserves to have her swan song on the bigger stage.

9. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I hope it's Miki, Mao and Yu-Na. :D I'd love to see Alissa or Carolina, as well.

Yes, she did. :(

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think it'll be Miki, Mao, and Yuna. I accidentally voted for Kanako because I didn't see Yuna on the list at first. The order will probably be Yuna, Miki, Mao, the reason being is that Miki has been skating better than Mao all season. I know I haven't seen Yuna all season but she's so perfect that I can't help but guess she'll be in first, especially with no lady really being a bright light this year (except maybe Czisny in on kind of an emotional level). Kiira, Carolina and Alena are too inconsistent, ie. they won't lay down two clean skates back to back, or at least I don't think they will. Cynthia, Rachael and Ksenia are also prone to making small errors that could take them out of contention. Sarah Meier won't be there as she said her last competition was Euros.

11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Yuna, Miki, Kanako. Mao's jumps likely won't be totally together by then and Alissa I'm expecting to have a few bobbles where it's worlds, and could also get dinged with URs. Carolina would have a shot were it not for her injury and limited content. Kiira if she's on, could sneak in there for a bronze, but after seeing what she did at Europeans, it doesn't seem the most likely.

12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I said Kim, Asada, and Murakami. It's in Japan so I expect the Japanese girls will be fighting hardcore and Murakami is better than Ando. Kostner has added back triple flip which means consistency is gone and she won't be near the podium. Czisny has a shot at a medal.

13. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Worlds may be a 4CC affair:

I picked YuNa, Mao and Alissa. But, Miki could really spoil the party.

Kanako - too young and unpolished right now. But, no expectations.

Euro ladies -

Kostner - would probably threaten for a medal after the SP if she goes clean [3t - 3t, 3l], but she's hobbled in the LP w/ lack of harder jumps. Plus, she still has shown herself to be a headcase.

Korpi - see above

Meier - will not compete.

Lepisto - going to even compete? If so, Worlds would be the debut for a skater that is also pretty shaky in the jump dept.

Wild card - Do we even know what shape YuNa is in? She's a mystery and she's not infallible. She will debut at Worlds, and if she makes a couple of major errors, Mao might take her

14. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I think Mao is as much of a wild card as Kim. At this point I'd say that Ando is a podium threat but every one else is a question mark. I don't see a medal for either of the Russian ladies, though.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  15. pinky166

I think Miki will likely be on the podium, it's just a matter of color. She'll play it safe in the SP like she did at Japanese Nats and do 3lz-2lo and 3lo, and she'll be a little bit behind the leaders but then make it up by skating her FS clean with all those backloaded jumps. Her issue this season has been the SP, but that was because the 3lz-3lo and 3f were giving her trouble, if she avoids both and goes clean which it seems like she's bound to do, she'll be on the podium. Mao, Kanako, Yuna are the most likely to join her on the podium but Alissa, Carolina, and Kiira have a shot to sneak up there as well.

16. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

I think it will be Mao, Yuna, and Alissa. Worlds are in Japan, and Mao always seems to skate her best in Japan and when it counts. Yuna hasn't competed yet, so I predict she will make at least one major error in the LP. If Alissa skates the way she has these last two competitions, she will podium. Ando and Kostner can play spoilers, but I don't think it's Kanako's time yet.

17. ninadel

ninadel New Member

Kanako
    Yuna
    Alissa

I'll predict Alissa for 3rd. Sounds about right. The other spots will be Yuna and one Japanese skater...

Kanako is pretty fearless so she could surprise everyone. Isn't a youngster skating a blinder typical for a post-Olys year?

Although I'd love Mao to medal, she was disastrous not so long ago and may need more time. On the other hand, if Yuna isn't trained I would expect Mao to overtake her.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  18. icellist

icellist Member

Can we do a 4CC poll before we get serious about this one?

btw does anyone know if Mirai Nagasu is going to 4CC. I was so disappointed that she isnt going to Worlds this year. Hope she gets NHK next season so she can see her family!

19. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Just a quick question...Yuna couldn't win Worlds after winning the whole last season, what makes you so sure she can win after not skating all season?

20. pinky166

Miki will win. I just have a feeling. Yuna will be on the podium somewhere, and the final spot will be up for grabs between Mao, Kanako, Carolina, Kiira, and Alissa - but most likely Kanako will actually medal and the rest of them will be headcases as usual.

21. judgejudy27

Since she has no competition this year. Last years Worlds was her worst competition ever almost and she still would have won easily if Asada was at this years level. There is no reason to think she would even skate as bad as last year where she was coming off the major high and all the attention after the Olympic Gold only a month earlier. Who is going to beat her, Miki Ando, Alissa Czisny, ROTFL!

Lets put it this way it is totally hers to lose. She has to make alot of mistakes to lose regardless what anyone else does.

22. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the judges are going to be a lot stricter on Alissa at Worlds, not just on the jumps but also on PCS--plus, as well as she's been skating, that run is probably going to come to an end at some point. She could win a medal, of course, but I'm expecting an all-Asian podium. I also wouldn't be surprised if Flatt turns it up a notch and gets near the podium as well, even though the judges aren't usually that kind to her.

23. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I think it will be Kim, Czisny, and Murakami.

24. Amy03

Amy03 Member

I think it will be a fight between asada and kim, and the bronze will probably be between miki, crizny, murakami,

25. judgejudy27

Ando easily beat Asada at Nationals. So it is interesting to see the support stronger so much for Asada in this thread. On the other hand Asada can still improve alot from Nationals while Miki hit her limit there, and international judges will not compare them in PCS the way the judges at Nationals did I am pretty sure. Even Suzuki has been beating Ando in PCS this season.

26. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

I think 4CC will tell us a lot. If Asada does two 3A and 3-3 combination (like she plans) she will be my main favourite to win the worlds. With her "new" old jumps, new rules about UR, possibility of doing 3A instead of A in SP she will be a very strong rival.

On the other hand it's hard to predict what Yuna will show us :) No matter what she does, she will be the biggest surprise for me.

27. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This is going to be SUCH an interesting Worlds for the ladies. Mao has been awful all season until Japanese Nationals. The question she will have to answer is "was that a fluke or a turn around?" Yu Na is a favorite but how can anyone be considered a heavy favorite when they haven't competed since the Olympics, over a year ago. The SP will be very telling for both Mao and Yu Na. Miki is my safe pick for a medal, she has been doing better and better and she should grab a medal, it could be anything from gold to bronze, though. Alissa is my hope for a medal, but you never know with her consistency issues and I think the judges look at her as a choice only if they have no others, but her GPF win should give her a reputation boost. Kostner doesn't have the difficulty and I don't know if the judges will put another lady on the podium without the full arsenal of jumps. It would take meltdowns from quite a few others before she got on the podium, at least I hope.

28. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Yuna, Alissa, and Ando.
    I'm unsure whether Yuna will win the gold, but she will certainly medal if she would be half as good as she was in Vancouver.
    For Alissa, it would be natural for her to capp off a dream season with a world medal.
    Home terf PCS buff will guarantee a medal for Ando despite her empty Morozov programs if she goes clean. I don't think highly of her skating but at least she deserves to be higher than Asada for being consistent this season.

29. pinky166

Where nationals are in Japan I'm not too worried about Miki's PCS. Her original SP this season was just not a good program, so the low PCS made sense. The new SP is better, and if she plays it safe and goes clean, which I assume she will, her PCS should be better than if her jumps are off like they have been in the SP this GP season when she was going for the 3lz-3lo and 3f. Her LP already scored 122, and that was skating second at the GPF, so a clean Miki LP at Worlds is probably gonna score around 125 if she's clean in the SP, so that should be enough to get on the podium, it's just a matter of color. Her jumps have been big, gorgeous, and fully rotated this season so I'm sort of expecting they'll stay that way by the time worlds comes around. I actually think Miki has a good shot at winning again, although you never know with Miki.

30. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

There is no reason to think she isn't going to crack under the presure of being gone either. A new coach, new training, no competition, she may win but they won't make it easy for her. Who is going to beat her? Who knows; but I would never count any of them out either.

Who would have thought a year ago Ryan Bradley would be the US National Champion? Anything can happen.