World Figure Skating Championships unlikely to produce a big haul for U.S.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

2. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

It's an article by Mr. Hersh.
    Remember, if nobody clicks on the link, he loses his job and goes away.

Though seriously, he makes some good points.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I wish people would quit posting his articles.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Yeah but there is going to be a gold in Dance!

5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Why? His assessment may not be what fans want to hear, but he's not blowing smoke. He simply stated facts. There isn't a hope of a pair team getting top 10 much less medalling with 3 Russians, 2 Germans, 3 Chinese, 2 Canadians all of whom will easily score higher than either of our two teams. His assessment of the mens and women's teams is correct. He said there's an outside chance for Alissa and Rachel to be in the top 10 and even to medal depending on Asada and Kim. That's true. The chance for the men is somewhat less, but not impossible. The only reliable medal is dance and that color depends.

6. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Seriously? First of all, who are the "3 Chinese" teams that will be Y/C and E/L? The Zhangs have been injured, and IIRC, Sui/Han aren't age eligible for ISU Championships this year. The two American teams scored well on the SGP -- certainly well enough to be top 10 in Tokyo.

7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Sometimes you have to wonder if Phil wasn't Hitler and Sonya Henie's love child.

Nomad and (deleted member) like this.
  8. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Like Witt?

Nomad and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

I agree that 2 other chinese pairs other than P/T are very unlikely to finish that high, I would wait till 4 cc to see if Chinese team can actually maintain 3 teams. P/T hasn't had a stellar season, so is very likely if the other 2 Chinese pair continue to score in the same range as they have been doing whole year they will be able to maintain their 3 teams status for 2012 world championships.

Teams who are likely to do well are
    S/S (GER), V/T(RUS), B/L(RUS), K/S(RUS), P/T(CHN), M-T/M(CAN), so 6 teams.

Then it seems, Duhamel/Radford(CAN), Berton/Hotarek(ITA), Takehashi/Tran(JPN), Haush/Wende(GER), Evora/Ladwig(USA), Yankowaskas/Coughlin(USA) will skate it out for 7-12. For US to not to have at least a pair in top, a lot things have to go wrong, plus don't have the option of maintaing 2 teams by having combined position total of 27? However US gaining an additional spot (3 teams) for next world looks highly unlikely.

There is no guarantee of them winning it especially if V/M returns. The GPF champion does not mean you automatically win the title. In addition there is the new European Champions who are becoming more and more a contender for the top spot.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  10. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

And the US not winning a lot of world medals is a problem because.....?

Oh, that's right, it's not a problem because it gives Phil a chance to spout more BS.

11. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I don't know - V/M lost a lot of training time and didn't compete at all this season. I guess 4CC will give us an idea of how beatable they might be at World's.

12. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

V/M are a great team and the best team in the world but just looking at P/B and D/W it takes several competitions to get things sorted out. Like say levels on the GW in the SD that they will be doing for the first time. I mean I have no doubt at all that V/M are great but 4CC and then worlds-Gold? And I like V/M more than D/W-though that is based on last season.

13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

So, if the US doesn't produce a big medal haul, what's the big deal? :shuffle:

14. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

When was the last time the US won lots of medals at World's? Why is a big medal haul even a hope/expectation?

15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

"Lots" is subjective but 3+ seems like a good enough number. At 2006 Worlds, the US won three medals--gold in ladies, bronze in dance, and bronze in men.

I don't know why people don't know why an American would want American skaters to earn a lot of medals.

16. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Death of Figure Skating as we know it ...

17. DuckLikesSkate

DuckLikesSkate New Member

Not to nitpick, but the US won four that year. In addition to the ones you mentioned, Cohen won a bronze.

In 2007 the US won one, 2008 it won one, 2009 it won two, and 2010 it won one. If Davis and White medal (which is basically guaranteed), that will be right in line with other recent years. Czisny might very well give the US another, but that's only if her comeback year continues. Her previous worlds appearances did not go well.

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What's the big deal? He is speculating given the current and recent standings and realistic chances. I thought his Carroll/Nagasu article was a lot more provocative (mooning the audience?!?!?!).

19. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

I just wanna say we're being quick here to write a bunch of people off... I say let's see them skate at Worlds and then complain. :)

I also wanted to point out that I heard on IceNetwork commentary this weekend during Ice Dance that one of the commentators said V/M are not competing this season.

Don't know if that was a mistake, but I'm just saying.

20. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I think that the US will place in top 10 in all disciplines. I doubt that the men, ladies and pairs are suckilicious enough that they won't at least maintain 2 slots for next year. I am really interested to see if they can get 3 spots in ice dance. In ice dance, it really is a calculations game. If V&M don't go, then they have a far better shot at getting the 3 spots. If V&M go, even if they don't win, the Shib's still place one slot lower in the standings and it is about number crunching.

21. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

It seems people enjoy posting his articles, and then attacking him. :lol:

ETA: I agree with Hersh on this one.

22. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Even less and less television coverage perhaps? Because that's what seems to be happening with each passing year, and fans have been forced to resort to paying for subscriptions to watch skating on the internet.

I'm just saying. :shuffle:

23. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Of course there isn't any real big deal. But as an American sportswriter he's lamenting the fact that the U.S. isn't medaling. I believe there was a bit off :wuzrobbed from the Russian press after Vancouver about the lack of medals for the Russian team (especially overall, and not just in skating).

Take the article for what it is: nationalistic sports griping writing. ;)

24. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Dear Hosni Mubarak: This is a land of free speech. Thank you!

BRAVO, Mr. Hersch! Spot-on, as usual.

25. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

:rofl: American are all for world domination in everything. They want gold, silver, bronze, steel, tin, aluminum and all other colors. lol I'm surprise why alot more american didn't try to get on 'guiness book of world records'. There are certainly alot of subjects to be written off. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

26. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Right, like all the other countries are saying "Yes go to worlds and place 15th or 16th, we'll be proud of you". Every country wants their people to do well, America is just a little more vocal about it. I won't even read Hershey-burgers article, but some people are so stupid with their America hate.

heo-wikki and (deleted member) like this.
  27. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

I agree with Hersh for once in this article, especially about Pairs. I am a fan of Evora-Ladwig but Mark's statement about the U.S getting close to a medal in Pairs @ worlds is ridiculous.

28. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Hersh must be related to Rosie DiManno (Toronto Star)! Do these two people enjoy anything? Two clear cases of glass 3/4 empty (and 1/4 isn't even single malt!). I intend to ignore them both and watch the rest of the season with enjoyment. I love to see the struggles for perfection and the development of new skaters. I'll root for Canadians (2 medals at most) and I'll root for Alissa and D/W. This new group of skaters is refreshing; enjoy their development! I bet you'll be seeing more medals in the next few years; just give them some time to develop. And Hersh and DiManno, couldn't you just ease up a bit and enjoy this sport like many of us?

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Nikki Lee

Nikki Lee Active Member

1) Ice is slippery.

2) Anything can happen....and does.

3) We have to wait to find out the results. How often have we been surprised at results? How often has the favorite not won? How often has the least favorite won?

4) Everyone has an opinion. No matter what the foundation for the opinion, it is at best a guess.

5) If wishes were horses, we'd all be knee deep in horse poop.

30. Libertango

Libertango New Member

And platinium :p ?