Woman faked cancer to raise money

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by algonquin, Aug 6, 2010.

1. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Woman faked cancer to raise money

She is probably not the first person to do something like this, but cancer is horrible, horrible disease and this IMO goes beyond the pale.
  2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Wow. That girl sounds like a complete mess.

And it's too bad, because the Change for a Cure idea is a really good one. Perhaps some of the people who were working with her could turn it into something legitimate.
  3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

It's just beyond me how some people are capable of faking such a horrible thing.
  4. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I'm on a message board where last winter, a popular and long time poster faked her husband's illness and then DEATH to get money from the people on there. It worked too, I don't know how many people actually sent her money but it was a good amount. Some people figured it out a couple weeks later when they couldn't find a death announcement in her hometown's paper. She made some lame excuses and then dissappeared. It was a really sad situation all around.
  5. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I did a story about 6 years ago about a women in Racine WI where a women did this. She got about 70K before some of the fundraisers figured it out. She lived across the street from the fire dept. Fooled even the paramedics.
    Whenever someone questioned her about her illness (I think it was cervical cancer) she would lose weight, shave her head. She even went as far as asking people to drive her to the hospital for Chemo. I can't remember what she used to throw up (some type of sryup). She had 2 really young kids and a husband.
    She was arrested and found guilty. Very sad.
  6. algonquin

Same here. Just read a Facebook post from the teenager that used to babysit me son. She gave money to this women.
  7. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

There have been a few cases like this. One woman did it to get off work.

There was also a case of a woman who went to great lengths to fake cancer, but not for the money. In fact, she didn't pocket anything, as she told anyone who wanted to give money to instead donate it to charity. She simply wanted the attention and sympathy.
  8. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I think this happens more than people realize. We've had a case here in my state too. I'm not sure how much money she stole from people. The big problem is that these people didn't have much themselves but helped her anyway. It got ugly when the truth came out.
  9. mkats

mkats New Member

I agree with mpal2 - I've seen this happen several times on another forum I used to visit (no money involved, but people would do it for the attention). Needless to say, it really pissed off the people who had actual, very serious, health problems. And it makes me really angry too - I work with a lot of cancer patients and it is a horrible, horrible disease. Reading this girl's story seriously makes my blood boil :mad:
  10. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I had a cousin who faked cancer and several other traumas to get money and sympathy out of family members. The lies went on for about 5 years before people found out.
  11. algonquin

The Globe and Mail newspaper did an investigation piece on cancer a couple of years. There was a statement in the piece that I will never forget. It went something like this, "People in our society have become so accustomed to cancer that some have forgotten what truly horrible disease it is".
  12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

This is why I never give money to strangers. I will give to the red cross and united way through work, but otherwise, I don't give money to people I don't know.
  13. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit New Member

Karma on this would totally suck!
  14. mkats

mkats New Member

:( One of the nicest ladies that I've ever known was diagnosed with cancer recently and it was horrible and shocking to witness her deterioration. She literally went from being cheerful, confident, and beautiful to at death's door within a couple of weeks. I visited with her just a few days before she passed away and she was entirely a different person.

Which is why this article just makes me want to :lynch: maybe I should stay out of this thread, because every time I wander in here I can feel my blood pressure shooting up.
  15. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

As someone from a very cancer-prone family, and who has dealt with it twice, I think this is totally and utterly repulsive. And unfortunately, probably goes on more often than is ever brought to light (especially the "attention-seeking" kind, since that isn't considered criminal). For anyone who felt invested in this b*tch, I am sure it feels very much like emotional rape.
  16. Orable

Orable New Member

What a terrible person! :mad:
  17. Michalle

Michalle New Member

I know it's bad to take advantage of anyone, no matter their age, but somehow it feels especially bad that she was tricking young people for whom this would really seem to be their first major experience with organized giving. I hope this doesn't put them off completely.
  18. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Granted, this was an awful thing to do. But this woman has got some really serious problems and needs some help.

Just heard on the news that she's in jail on three counts of fraud.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  19. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

Heard on last night's news that her "reasoning" for doing this was her awful childhood.

I am so sick and tired of people using that as an excuse when they get caught for something like this. Especially for what she did though.

Cancer runs in my family and I've lost friends to it. It is beyond a horrible, horrible disease and anyone doing something like this...It's repulsive!! :mad:
  20. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

Couldn't agree more. Sadly there will always be these pathetic persons who'll exploit anything and any disease to get attention, fame or money. It's despicable.
  21. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I view the people who fake cancer for money differently than those who fake cancer for attention and sympathy and don't profit monetarily. The people in the latter case are clearly mentally ill and have an empty void that they're so desperate to fill that they would fake cancer.
    agalisgv and (deleted member) like this.
  22. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

23. Michalle

Michalle New Member

Also, given her history of lying, why on earth should anyone believe that she even had an awful childhood?
  24. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'm reminded of a syndrome - can't recall the name of it - of women who hurt/harm their children to get attention. They'll do things like put stuff in their kid's food to make them sick, so that the kid has to go to the emergency ward - they want to get treated like special, long-suffering, saintly mothers.
  25. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/factitious_disorders/hic_munchausen_syndrome_by_proxy.aspx

26. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. People who do things like this in the first place tend to tell lie after lie after they're busted (because of course it's never really *their* fault that they did these awful things), so I suspect we're only at the tip of the BS iceberg with this one. I also read somewhere that she was claiming to be bipolar and that was why she did this.
  27. algonquin

Yep. If I were the judge on her court case, along for jail time for fraud, I would sentence her to community service in either a cancer hospice or a children's oncology department. Some justice would be served, but she would probably still play the victim card.
  28. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing!! I can't help but think she is mentally ill but bilking people and lying about cancer is absolutely heinous.
  29. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

On Toronto news last night they talked to her Father, who was blacked out to hide his identity, and he said that she's put them through Hell over the years and this isn't the first time she's pulled a stunt like this. Due to that, none of her Family were present at her Hearing yesterday or posted Bail.

While public service at a Children's Oncology Unit is a good idea for some, and in this case that would at Sick Kid's in Toronto, there are certain people that this type of a punishment wouldn't make a dent w/them. I think this person is one of those.
  30. Michalle

Michalle New Member

Also, in all honesty, is this really the kind of person you want to be exposing sick kids to? She sounds awful, so I doubt she would take the work seriously, and she would probably end up being an unpleasant person to have around.
  31. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yes, but there is also Munchausen Syndrome, where the person feigns their own illness (physical or mental) for attention. The by Proxy is when it is done to a person other than themself. Some of these cases could be more than just trying to scam money, it could be mental illness.

Munchausen by Proxy was illustrated in the Movie The Sixth Sense.

Regardless, this is a horrible thing. They should take whatever money is left and give it to a cancer organization.
  32. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but this girl just sounds like a sociopath.
  33. algonquin

You have a point.