Woman barred from Disneyland for dressing up like a princess

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

2. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

They would never have kicked her out of The Peel or The Exchange. Her kind would be celebrated or fought over (for the outfit).

3. Aussie Willy

Only if she was the purple tellytubby.

4. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Could be worse, what if she was dressed as Barney the Dinosaur?

5. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

The Laird is a different story. That would totally be a "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore" moment. Unless she line-danced, then she would be a goddess.

6. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

7. silverstars

silverstars New Member

:lol:

One of my friends (she's a bit of an artsy, eccentric person) actually dressed up as a princess and hung around Belvedere Castle in Central Park in NYC for an afternoon to see what would happen. Quite a few tourists actually came up and asked for photos...

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That's so weird- I thought people dressed as princesses all the time to go to Disney.

Or maybe only kids can... (the article says age 9. Is that just for Paris? Or all Disney?)

9. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

She doesn't even look like any of the Disney princesses. Little girls know the difference between a REAL Disney princess and a fake.. trust me :lol:

10. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

I believe it's all Disney parks. You have to be 9 or under to wear a costume unless you're an employee.

11. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Which makes sense, from a safety perspective. The last thing Disney wants or needs is for some little kid to think that a costumed adult works there, when in fact, they do not, and are in fact wearing that costume for evil rather than good.

12. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I did not know that.. ya learn something new everyday :lol:

I would love to take my nieces to Disneyland.. they are all about the princesses right now. I think my boyfriend would be totally up for it if we had the money. We're taking my eldest niece to see the Lion King musical in July.. very excited!

13. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

You can wear a costume as an adult at the Disney "Halloween" parties that they charge extra for.. Otherwise no go!

14. Aussie Willy

But if you were evil you would have to wear the Wicked Queen costume. It really is quite easy to tell who is good and bad.

15. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Disneyland has lots of regulations regarding these things. Children up to I believe 10 can wear costumes and blah-blah, not adults as they have a strict image to maintain. I don't have a problem with it.

16. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

She'd be more than welcome to borrow my Wicked Queen costume. Wearing it is the only way I can get a seat on the train to work each morning.

17. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

Seems pretty reasonable.

18. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Disneyland's costume guidelines

I like it, makes it a bit safer IMHO. I shudder to think of pedophiles dressing as Mickey Mouse just so kids will run to them and give them hugs.

19. icedance21

icedance21 New Member

:rofl:

20. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Well if they have standard guidelines it makes sense- disappointing that the woman was told otherwise (possibly) over the phone ahead of time.

I've often see Mom's in princess-style ballgown dresses at events with their daughters (who are usually full out disney princesses) it makes it more fun for the kids. This woman wasn't trying to look like a Disney princess, just enjoy the day with her daughter.

But it's smart for Disney to have safety guidelines.

So non-violent costumes, huh? Does that mean little boys can't dress up as pirates? Pirates are as big for disney as princesses are. Mickey is meaningless in today's world.

21. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

22. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I think I am more stunned that the woman in that picture is 36 (or 35 - the article says both). When I first saw the pic without reading the article, I thought she was the girl's grandmother.

23. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Ah, the bitter angry girls of jezebel.com....As a Disney shareholder, I say more power to the Disney wedding line, plus if the average rate for a gown from it is $1100 it's WAY more sensible than some of the couture prices! Talk about pressure to buy into the fairy tale--a $10k dress isn't any better than the Disney Princess line just because it has a designer tag on it. (And really, is there any difference between playing dress-up princess and actually following fashion trends obsessively? Besides one not requiring you to update your wardrobe every six months because emaciated hags at Vogue say so?)

And I agree with most posters, it's a sensible rule. When you have that many kids running around you need to know who's really an employee. Plus, Disney has VERY harsh rules for employee conduct, especialy for the costumed characters. They don't want anyone running around that might be presumed to work for them who could do something embarassing or dangerous.

24. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I don't think that wanting to look like a princess on your big day translates into not understanding what marriage is about. I've seen some of the dresses.. they're quite pretty and $1100 isn't bad for a wedding dress. I've seen dresses for 10 times as much on Say Yes to the Dress haha.

25. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Some people just need to get a grip! :lol:

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

See that story just confirms what I knew all along.

Disney = fascists

27. Aussie Willy

Hey Ziggy - here is a clip just for you. It was on a TV show here many years ago where some young film makers Raced Around the World making short documentaries. One of them visited Disneyland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2mMehK3cy8

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If I ever go to Disneyland, I am totally coming in drag in a frilly pink dress and I'm suing for discrimination if they don't allow me in. :drama: :p

29. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Therapy?

30. Autumm_wind

Autumm_wind New Member

I thought you were a figure skater! :drama: