With a loud Jodel: German skating news

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Hedwig, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Great fun seeing S/S Kismet sp debut at SC. Certainly their pairing and partnership with Ingo is kismet! I simply love how S/S and S always succeed at trying something new and different with an edge and a twist. They always focus on challenging themselves artistically and athletically. Not everyone could pull off those colorful body suits -- S/S can. They were definitely in top form in the sp, and I hope the cold Aliona contracted overnight improves, so they can be at their best in their new fp.

2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I'm so happy that their SP is so amazing. I can't wait to see it live!

3. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

agreed.
    You're so lucky! Enjoy TEB!

4. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Not really in love with their programs this year. :(

But maybe they will grow on me...Aljona was sick for the free so maybe the lack of excitment can be explained by that...

5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

oh, isabel drescher is still alive :D she´s on the entries for nrw. planned content for sp 3t3t,3lz,2a, free skate including 3f
    wow, have my doubts about that but maybe she will teach me wrong. she was my favourite german junior skater.

6. Jeschke

today there was a german press release that savchenko/szolkowy found their first big sponsor in thomas llyod investments.

http://www.sport1.de/de/wintersport/win_eiskunstlauf/newspage_636235.html

it´s just mentioned, that s/s are happy, that they don´t have to worry about their finances every month and can concentrate on training and competitions.
    the contract is headed for three years.
    (i don´t know what that says about their competitve career after sotchi?!?)

7. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information. I am glad for them. And I don't think that it says something about their competitive career after Sochi. Famous skaters continue having sponsors after they have retired from competitive skating. For example, last season Yuna didn't compete, and no one knew whether she was going to contine competitive skating, or retire from it completely, but, as far as I know, her sponsors didn't break their contracts with her because of that. Of course, she is a special skater - very popular, and a celebrity in her own country. Bu she is not the only one. Even Stephane Lambiel still has sponsors, like the swiss watch company 'Hublot', the 'Ford' Dealers company in Switzerland, and also some mobile phones sellers (I don't remember which exactly). Of course, they don't provide him with money, but he doesn't have to worry about bying cars, elegant watches and mobile phones for himself :). I think that S/S may also continue to receive some support from their sponsors after they retire from competitive skating, especially if they will continue skating professionally in shows and will keep their popularity in figure skating world up.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  8. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I thought S/S had Audi working as their sponsor, didn't they? I'm a bit surprised to know they had some matter of difficulties getting proper finances. They're four-time World champions, for god's sakes!

9. Jeschke

don´t know about AUDI. Thomas lloyd is mentioned as their first big sponsor.

problem is: skating isn´t much popular any more in germany despite s/s success.
    in winter, when the are euros and worlds f.e. the main german tv channels show 8h wintersport a day, s/s can be happy if they summarize euros and worlds in 15minutes in the show, if at all.

10. Marta24

Marta24 Active Member

Unfortunaly, figure skating doesn't matter in Germany.I am glad that Eurosport is showing figure skating even if only recorded,otherwise we wouldn't have the chance to watch figure skating at all.

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Isn't standard funding for top athletes in Germany through military (reserve) positions and salary? S/S gave up theirs when they were told they'd have to give up Steuer as their coach or their positions. I would think that having corporate sponsors in Germany is relatively new territory.

12. Marta24

Marta24 Active Member

Top athletes in wintersports are most of the time funded by military.Szolkowy made a big sacrifice when he stayed with Steuer.There are wintersports that have corporate sponsors like biathlon,which is very popular in Germany.

I am glad that they have now a sponsor since they have so little recognition in Germany.

13. aftershocks

^^ Was figure skating always disregarded this way in Germany, even when Anett Poetzsch, Woetzel/ Steuer, Katarina Witt, Jan Hoffman, Norbert Schramm, and Tanja Szewczenko were competing?

What S/S and S have accomplished in pairs skating is that much more amazing since they obviously don't receive much political backing.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  14. iris81

iris81 Member

15. aftershocks

^^ Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Hope Aliona recovers soon and feels stronger.

If S/S don't make TEB, then they'll have more time to recover and prepare for Europeans and Worlds, but will miss GPF. I hope they might also rethink a bit their fp costumes and choreo. I really enjoy their costumes and music for their sp, but I haven't warmed to their fp. There just seems to be something about the repetitive beat of Bolero that requires something unique and out of the ordinary, plus the tension in the choreo must build as the music does. Altho' their costumes were unique for fp, they too closely echo the sp costumes and seem to have nothing to do with the flamenco theme, plus the fp choreo isn't exciting enough, as yet anyway.

16. Jeschke

By the time I wonder about German ice dance couples kolbe/caruso and hermann/hermann.
    how is their status?

k/c have repaired and were scheduled to skate at nrw trophy, but haven´t. does this team still exist or broke again?

and what about hermann/hermann? last word on their blog is from june.

anyone has news?

17. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

In this interview Barbara Fusar Poli said that Tanja injured her ankle and could not skate for a while, and that their first competition is going to be in December. I don't know if she means the National Championships. She also talked about the music for their programs, but I don't remember if they have already been mentioned.

18. tut88

tut88 Member

Tanja broke her foot in late August and then had a injoury at the ankle.
    They should compete at Nationals.
    They are now in Milano to train.

19. LLOS

LLOS New Member

In times of online tv, for us fans, it doesn't matter if TV or a download. I prefer to watch the complete coverage of Russian TV, I mostly don't care if Eurosport shows or not. I can even get HD videos online and I don't have own HD TV. But it is good that they do show skating that people can see it who don't go online. But for me as a fan I don't need it on German TV.

20. Jeschke

thanks tut88 and pingu for the news.
    hope she will recover soon. will be nice too see, that next year in german there will actually be a battle again for the euros spots with z/g, k/n und k/c

21. Jeschke

News of Savchenko/Szolkowy:

Unfortunately they´re likely to withdraw from TEB as it´s said in a german press release

http://www.sport.de/medien/wintermi...von-savchenko-szolkowy-in-paris-ungewiss.html

Aliona is still suffering from her cold, takes antibiotics and hasn´t been on the ice since.
    yesterday they started with off-ice-training again.

as it´s said in the article, steuer made a bid at isu council for a kind of bye to the grand prix final (if not taking part at TEB) , but this was declined (wonder wonder :cool:)
    the doctors prefer her staying at home and getting healthy, so we just have to wait and see.

steuer mentioned additionally that the marks for v/t in russia were kind of scnadalous and doesn´t favour the sport.

22. Lis

Lis Active Member

Oh no soooo want to see them at TEB !
    but health is more important ...

I agree with Steuer about V/T s marks at CoR ,that did not feel good at all when considering the OG will take place in Russia too.It left a rather bitter taste of what could come but hopefully wont.

23. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:( for S/S.

24. tut88

tut88 Member

The battle for Sochi is already started I see !
    I think Ingo is doing fine protecting his athlets.

I'm sorry if they'll have to withdraw from Bompard and miss the final, but health is more important !

25. tut88

tut88 Member

K/N ??
    I 'm sorry, I m not really into german ice dance work, could you refresh me ?
    :)
    K/C SD is on a french music
    FD on Beethoven last night + moonlight serenade

26. Jeschke

thanks for the music infos.

k/n is koch/nüchtern; still a junior pair, but very promising last season and jgp medallist this season. so they´re on a really high level and will mix the other seniors teams up next season.

27. Jeschke

german pairs seem kind of cursed.

s/s are out of TEB, and vartmann/vancleave out of NHK.
    Really sad for V/vCL after gaining two spots due to last season.

So maybe we will have those pairs together with h/w at german nationals.

28. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

rayhaneh and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Sorry to hear about their withdrawal.

About sponsors: They were not sponsored by Audi but received some financial backing by a local car dealer. That was of course not nearly enough.

About other famous German figure skaters: Some of them that were mentioned above competed for the GDR (former East Germany) where the whole system was different and athlets received a lot of financial support.
    The rest had to make due with being in the German army and receiving support from them.

30. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

S/S is on the senior pairs entry. Did they officially announce it or is it just for precaution?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.