With a loud Jodel: German skating news

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Hedwig, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's what I am really worried about as well. :/

2. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Many top skaters have kept programs for two years and it didn't hurt them (Patrick Chan comes to my mind). Of course the Russian side is politicking quite a bit and maybe they'll try to use this as an argument against Savchenko/Szolkowy. But even if they do, it will depend on the judges whether they'll go with it or not. There are some judges that will vote against the German couple no matter what, even if they came up with a new program for each competition. Savchenko/Szolkowy need to be brilliant in order to win and they know it.

I think keeping "Pina" can turn out to be a very good move. If they refine it further and perform it to its full potential it will be a big plus for them. The program can grow and develop even more. Also, not having to work on a new program might give them more room to develop something extraordinary for the Olympic season.

As for the throw triple Axel, they plan to do it in the short. I don't know about the free.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There are a couple of awkward places in "Pina" that would look fine on a dance floor, but don't have the same impact on ice, that I hope are the ones that are changed, but for the most part, I think "Pina" is brilliant. The only thing that concerns me is that refinement has never been Ingo Steuer's strong point, and I think that's what the program needed.

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I feel about them keeping Pina. On one hand they never perfected it but on the other hand, they're repeating a program and I'd rather see a new, even more innovative program.

5. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Good news from Germany: Stefano Caruso told me that he teamed up with Tanja Kolbe again. Barbara Fusar Poli will be their main coach. They will train in Milan with her, in Berlin with Rene Lohse and also work in Oberstdorf with Martin Skotnicky. They plan to go to Detroit in the middle of August to work with Shpilband as well (not definite yet).
    He said that they are happy to be skating together again and maybe needed some time off to understand how much they miss skating together. They found a good compromise to be happy in their private lifes and to progress in skating at the same time.

6. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

that is great news. thanks for letting us know.

7. tut88

tut88 New Member

Wau !!!! Welcome back !!!
    I'm really happy !!
    I hope they'll find a good balance between their lifes and skating together !!
    Good News !

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Galina Kukhar interview excerpt, l'etoile. :) I guess there are always strong reactions to people in any field who shake things up a bit and don't fit the usual mold. Ms. Kukhar nonetheless does seem to appreciate S/S and their programs.

Yes, "divided against," is not the best choice of words, altho' I was repeating the word you originally used: "divided reactions." Probably "mixed reactions" is a better way to phrase it.

This reference to "worst" and S/S/S I'm not getting. I think what these unique three have accomplished together (with hard work, determination, inspiration, fierce loyalty, and a generous measure of magic) in the sport of pairs skating is nowhere near the vicinity of "worst." You're right that there are some people who incredibly fail to recognize, much less appreciate their brilliance.

9. IceDanceFan1

IceDanceFan1 New Member

On ice-dance.com:

http://www.ice-dance.com/news/general-articles-announcements/1374-kolbe-caruso-reunite

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

'Their worst program' means the worst free program out of all the free programs they've done.

11. aftershocks

^^ Ah yeah, sure, right, okay Ziggy. Thanks for the explanation. We all have our good days and our "worst" days eh? ;) But there's "worst" for us, and then there's "not so great" for champions and athletes such as the caliber of S/S (and champion, former athlete and choreographer of the caliber of Ingo Steuer).

I don't associate "worst" in any context with what S/S and S have accomplished over the years. I personally would never describe any of their efforts with the negative term "worst." Uh but OTOH, it's probably fair to say that they are their own hardest taskmasters and "worst" critics. They continually challenge themselves and always strive for perfection.

12. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

By using the term "worst program" is like calling any of the Miss Universe contestants ugly; or the World Strongest Man competitors unfit, it just doesn't match. :rofl:

13. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

The German Federation will hold 3 test skates aKa monitoring sessions for the JGPs.

They are
    28. / 29. Juli for Courchevel & Lake Placid
    18. / 19. August for Linz, Istanbul & Bled
    08. / 09. September for Zagreb & Dresden

though going by this interview
    http://www.figureskating-online.com/joti-polizoakis.html
    the initial JGPs have been assigned already so I guess the monitoring really comes into play to decide if the skaters are really ready to go

14. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

thanks the lord for that. the last few years it often seemed lik some of the junior skaters were totally out of or form or not in form yet, so let´s hope the number of 'bad' performances will get reduced by that

15. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

they did monitoring last year as well but with so many injured skaters and so many not wanting to do the first few we still got a lot of weak performances. but last season it seemed that a lot of the younger ladies did really improve and push the older ones so fingers crossed they will do better.

16. skatingfan26

skatingfan26 New Member

Does anyone know if the JGP in Dresden, Germany will take place as planned?

At the moment the roof of the Ice Arena in Dresden is under repair and according to the newspapers this is expected to be finished at the end of October. But the JPG is supposed to take place Oct. 10 - 14. Or will it be at another place (i.e. Chemnitz) or even cancelled?

17. aftershocks

It will be cool if when S/S bring Pina fp back, they have brought some interesting changes/ additions, along with some rockin' new costumes. Perhaps Aliona in something black with red flowers as at :27 - :30 in below clip (with Robin in all black with red accents on his top, or Robin in all light blue like the man in the clip who catches the woman in the black/red dress); or Aliona in the deep orangey short dress seen at about :56 (with Robin in white pants and sleeveless deep yellow top); or Aliona in deep red dress patterned after the one at 1:10 (with Robin in all white).

For movement additions to Pina: Perhaps a version of the running move and leaping into arms; and/or the toe-tapping on pointe while turning in a circle by Aliona, with an abrupt grabbing of her arm and pulling her to one side by Robin as she holds onto his arm and he turns her around and around in a spin with her legs open and feet pointed. Maybe even some version of the unusual move with Robin leaning briefly on Aliona's back, but done quickly with her not exactly carrying him as in the clip at :50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNuQVS7q7-A

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The Hermit the Frog costumes definitely have to go! :mitchell:

19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:rofl::rofl: What are you talking about?! It's so cute!

20. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

The costumes could be more contemporary, but '"Hermit the Frog" :confused:? Although the costumes are simple and classic, the colour is really beautiful and unusual for figure skating (which, in my eyes, makes it even more beautiful). It seems that most figure skating fans (at least here on 'FSU') are simply incredibly conservative. Anything that is not quite classic, and departs from the usual/standard is considered tateless and weird :rolleyes:. Such a pity.

21. aftershocks

:lol: Their costumes were not exactly "Hermit the Frog" green. They are more accurately aquamarine, or teal, with Robin in black pants:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=J7DKgzp_NQc&NR=1
    :cool:

I agree with lauravvv that the teal colour is unexpected and interesting for figure skating. The costumes actually gave me a sense of modern dance in the colour and styling, and perhaps that is what they were going for, as modern dance is their theme.

I suggested that they come back with some different costuming (which they probably will) so as to make the program fresh and different for the new season. I only suggested some of the colours in the Pina clip because of their program having been inspired by the film. I don't see the teal colour in any costumes worn by dancers in the clip (but then again, unfortunately, I have not seen the entire film).

Whatever happens, I'm stoked.

A trip down memory lane 2006 GPF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBRKR8y9GPs

The above so innovative (and they are still innovating).

The 2007 European championship version: :swoon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ipkwkZBK2Q ... goosebumps (they were skating near home country and were just in such a zone together on the ice!)

The first time I ever saw or heard of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRioQnGihlo Worlds 2005 Casablanca

The Canadian commentators in the above clip mentioned the lasso lift S/S did as being one of the most difficult pairs lifts. I don't see it being done that much now, altho' commentators seemed to indicate that it was coming back then under the new scoring system because of the ability to get credit under the new system (that is if you have the ability to perform it well). It is a pretty lift visually.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  22. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Loved the costume but he needs to shave his armpit. :EVILLE::EVILLE:

23. aftershocks

^^ Yeah I recall that Robin's underarm sweat was visible on his costume during Worlds, but so what! He's an athlete, he's human -- they won anyway. :lol:

And how do you know for sure he doesn't shave his armpits, btw? ;)

Whatever, with a sleeveless or black top, sweat might not show as much. I don't recall ever seeing Robin with sweaty armpits during a performance, but again, so what. They overcame their nerves.

(V/T overcame their sloppy sp too, and deserved excellent marks, but I think V/T were slightly over-marked in fp to ensure they would be pulled up enough from their disastrous sp placement to challenge S/S. V/T's overly high scores in fp almost gave them the win, which I didn't think would have been quite fair due to a poor sp. I never liked V/T's sp last season.)

24. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

in their home country? the 2007 euros were held in warsaw:D poland is not exactly their home country.

but i wish we would have a big figure skating competition again in germany, dortmund 2004 is so long ago.

by the way, the jgp in germany was moved from dreseden to chemnitz, because the rink in dresden is under repair and wil not get finish in time

25. aftershocks

^^ Sorry ... :eek: Although I love geography, I guess I fail at it this time, and I'm reminded once again that it always pays to check and not assume.

In any case, isn't Poland located next to Germany? So, pretty close, no? Is Warsaw close enough to German border for S/S German fans to have made a fairly quick trip, or is it long hours away from S/S home base?

In any case, S/S were obviously very inspired when they skated at Europeans that year. They had been dealing with so much at that time: injuries, funding issues, Ingo's political problems. Another reason why I love this team is their fierce loyalty and determination.

Yes and S/S weren't skating in Dortmund in 2004. So, with S/S multi-winning champions, it is too bad that 2013 Worlds is not in Germany instead of Canada.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I thought that the shade of green was ugly and the design really tasteless.

It wasn't 'simple and chic', it was just bad. :p

:rolleyes:

27. aftershocks

^^ Ahhh, so you're 28 Ziggy .... yeah, I know: "What's age got to do with it?" :lol:

And yeah, perhaps geography had little to do with S/S inspired skate in 2007. ;)

IMO, just to reiterate, I don't feel S/S Pina costumes look anything close to that Muppet frog's colour -- and his name is "Kermit" btw. :D

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ok so let's spell it out for you then:

1) No, Savchenko/Szolkowy's costumes weren't light green like Kermit. They were dark green like a corpse that has been rotting in the water for 4 weeks. A hideous colour.

2) Overuse of illusion fabric isn't stylish or elegant, it is a crime against humanity.

3) Roman's outfit was simple and wouldn't be bad if not for the top tucked inside the trousers, Simon Cowell style.

4) 'Hermit' was obviously a play on words. As in nobody should actually leave the house wearing that shit. :p
    Also: this.

P.S. Warsaw is in Eastern Poland, nowhere near the German border which would take you no more than 3 seconds to google.

29. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

While you are at it - I suggest you not only google geography but also history. Then you would know that Germany and Poland had a lot of issues in their history and that to call S/S competing in their home country when they compete in Poland could even be considered in insult in Poland.

And for your information - just because a country in Europe may be close to another it does not mean that they are similar or that they feel the European spirit in a way that they root for people from other European countries in sports. That is such a strange concept that Americans have.

30. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

I can't believe that anyone can see green in their costumes, it is a blue shade. And a great one, I think (well, that is personal taste, but definetely no green. Unless you also call turquoise a shade of green instead of blue...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.