With a loud Jodel: German skating news

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Hedwig, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

They got amazing tech scores - only one non level 4 element
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

3. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

they're listed in JGP Germany too !

so if they medal there again and get a better scoring
    it will be added and they have a higher chance of going to
    Grand Prix Final than Edwards/Pang of Canada ?
  4. sus2850

sus2850 Member

They are listed as substitutes (which I actually don't understand, as they already did their two competitions)
  5. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

JGP Germany entries were submitted before they competed in Turkey. On the newest list they are no longer listed as substitutes
    http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2012/jgpsdance.htm
  6. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

this is really great (for german figure skating!)! congrats to them.

maybe there´s a small chance for making the jgpf, let´s see. but, well done!
  7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

8. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

they can, they have a higher chance of going to JGPF
    than say Edwards/Pang of Canada, they already won silver medal and had higher scoring, they just need one
  9. la.louise

la.louise New Member

10. Hedwig

Hedwig New Member

Thanks for the link. Short summary:
    Ingo says that the ultimate goal is Sochi and that it is hard at the moment after having won the World title 4 times as everyone is expecting a fifth title but the world title is not that important to them.
    Aljona says that rest is hard for her. 3 days without ice and she get nervous and her head gets full of thoughts and after one week of holiday she is totally restless.
    This season they get costumes by a designer duo and they say that the costumes will be totally different from other costumes in skating. We will see. :)
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  11. kapriza

kapriza Member

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

You can trust Aljona, Robin and Ingo to always come up with something new and different. I love that they are not shying away from trying out something "risky", something that might be controversial.
    Now I'm really curious if these will be the costumes for the long or for the short program.
  13. Jeschke

i totally agree; but i would be pleased to see more innovative lifts of them.
    although they changed their 'typical' lifts for the 2011 season completely and changed few things afterwards, they always seemed a little bit conservative compared to some spectacular lifts of other pairs.

but i hope, it´s just tactics. and ingo will just hold his superb ideas off, to let them 'bomb in' in the olympic season for a hopefully, hopefully, golden end for those three!!!
  14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks for the links, but how do I find the news clip in the original link you provided?

Enjoyed viewing the practice sessions. I have an idea for S/S and S fp for the Olympic season -- something old with a modern twist. But they probably already have ideas they are thinking about.
  15. la.louise

la.louise New Member

I guess they took the news clip offline :(
  16. aftershocks

^^ Ohhh, too bad. If you can locate it anywhere again, please re-post. And thanks!
  17. aftershocks

In new season programs thread, FP for Savchenko/ Szolkowy is reportedly:

Flamenco Bolero by Gustavo Montesano

Is this then what Aliona was referring to when she said, "Everything has to grow and now we are ready to interpret this music."
  18. Eislauffan

This is correct. The ISU bios have been updated.
  19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:wideeyes: Didn't expect this from S/S. This is so gonna be fantastic!!
  20. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

WOW :D

I am super excited see them skate!
  21. Macassar88

I am too! They are my favorite pair competing, and IMO one of the best pairs of all time (even without an OGM which I really hope they win in Sochi even though I have a bad feeling that Volosozhar and Trankov will win it due to home court advantage). I hope they bring it to TEB because that's where I'll be seeing them.
  22. aftershocks

^^ Definitely S/S are one of the best pairs of all time. It will be difficult for them in Sochi due to "Russian tradition" and the games being in Sochi, Russia. V/T are a good pair that clicked and they have solid support from judges and their fed, but seriously I think S/S are right now still the team to beat. V/T are most obviously emulating S/S style, especially re particular moves (Tatiana also previously trained with Aliona and has consciously or unconsciously picked up some of Aliona's mannerisms). It is always a compliment for champions to be emulated.

I sense a great deal of respect and competitiveness between S/S and V/T. I hope the politics and home-court advantage and "Russian tradition" don't play into the final outcome so much.

S/S were partly hurt in 2010 due to the push for S/Z to deservedly finally win Olympic gold (which they should have procured over Tot/Mar at 2006 Olympics, if not for Zhao's injury hampering their training; among S/Z other disadvantages in 2006 was Tot/Mar "Russian tradition" to win gold in Olympic pairs). S/Z's compatriots, P/T, were amazing at 2010 Olympics winning silver, and they skated S/S style in Vancouver better than S/S.

Best of luck to S/S/S going forward, and I wish to enjoy their journey and stop worrying about the final destination.
  23. Macassar88

I agree that Savchenko and Szolkowy are much better than Volosozhar and Trankov, but their scores are often a little too close for comfort. I want to see how they match up when they both go clean because that hasn't happened yet.
    Also, what do you mean by Pang and Tong skating in Savchenko and Szolkowy's style? I didn't notice any of that in Vancouver.
  24. aftershocks

Yes, ITA that V/T scores are often "too close for comfort," because of the great support top Russian pairs teams that are good often get from ISU judges (the Russian fed has strong influence, do they not?). V/T had an unexciting sp last season which they also skated very poorly at Nice Worlds with uncharacteristic technical mistakes, so judges had no choice but to drop them, but not so far that they couldn't make it up with a fab fp. I give V/T credit for the way they came out and skated their fp at Worlds, but still the marks, IMHO, were over-generous for their fp (as if the judges wanted to be absolutely sure they would challenge S/S for the top spot).

Because S/S had some flaws in their fp, especially toward the end with a combo spin when they got off their music, their fp score was lower than expected and I thought they had lost, as did everyone, even them. S/S won by a hair. IMHO, V/T were over-marked in fp, so it should not have been quite that close, especially due to the major mistakes V/T made in their sp.

Re Pang/Tong, I simply mean that IMHO, top pairs generally look to the champions they are trying to beat and often are inspired by to emulate their moves (i.e., hand holds and unique movement dynamics of S/S, even program structure). I think I see S/S influence more in P/T sp, but of course P/T style of skating is not exactly like S/S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Gyit2bMiE P/T 2010 Olympic sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xOKuJ28puk P/T 2010 Olympic fp
  25. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I really enjoyed the SP of Prölss & Blommaertat JGP Chemnitz, where they were second. It was nice to see an up & coming junior pair from Germany (well Germany & Belgium).
  26. Jeschke

i agree; in all disciplines (except the men) the juniors had good results during the jgp;
    koch/nüchtern really take one step forward, prölss/blommaertat and nathalie weinzierl in singles.

it´s a long way to seniors, let´s hope the best
  27. Macassar88

Anyone going to TEB considering bringing a poster or something for Aliona and Robin? I am thinking about it.
  28. Eislauffan

Mari Vartmann reports on Facebook that she broke her partner's (Aaron van Cleave) cheekbone while they practiced a triple twist. Therefore they will be unable to compete at Coupe de Nice and Cup of Russia, but hope to be back for NHK Trophy.
  29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:(

Wishing them a speedy recovery. The triple twist is such a high risk element. :/
  30. Jeschke

oh no; their double twist always looked so high and sure, but triple twist is a really hard element.

Hope he gets well, soon!!!
  31. aftershocks

Great fun seeing S/S Kismet sp debut at SC. Certainly their pairing and partnership with Ingo is kismet! I simply love how S/S and S always succeed at trying something new and different with an edge and a twist. They always focus on challenging themselves artistically and athletically. Not everyone could pull off those colorful body suits -- S/S can. They were definitely in top form in the sp, and I hope the cold Aliona contracted overnight improves, so they can be at their best in their new fp.
  32. Macassar88

I'm so happy that their SP is so amazing. I can't wait to see it live!
  33. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

agreed.
    You're so lucky! Enjoy TEB!
  34. Hedwig

Hedwig New Member

Not really in love with their programs this year. :(

But maybe they will grow on me...Aljona was sick for the free so maybe the lack of excitment can be explained by that...
  35. Jeschke

oh, isabel drescher is still alive :D she´s on the entries for nrw. planned content for sp 3t3t,3lz,2a, free skate including 3f
    wow, have my doubts about that but maybe she will teach me wrong. she was my favourite german junior skater.
  36. Jeschke

today there was a german press release that savchenko/szolkowy found their first big sponsor in thomas llyod investments.

http://www.sport1.de/de/wintersport/win_eiskunstlauf/newspage_636235.html

it´s just mentioned, that s/s are happy, that they don´t have to worry about their finances every month and can concentrate on training and competitions.
    the contract is headed for three years.
    (i don´t know what that says about their competitve career after sotchi?!?)
  37. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information. I am glad for them. And I don't think that it says something about their competitive career after Sochi. Famous skaters continue having sponsors after they have retired from competitive skating. For example, last season Yuna didn't compete, and no one knew whether she was going to contine competitive skating, or retire from it completely, but, as far as I know, her sponsors didn't break their contracts with her because of that. Of course, she is a special skater - very popular, and a celebrity in her own country. Bu she is not the only one. Even Stephane Lambiel still has sponsors, like the swiss watch company 'Hublot', the 'Ford' Dealers company in Switzerland, and also some mobile phones sellers (I don't remember which exactly). Of course, they don't provide him with money, but he doesn't have to worry about bying cars, elegant watches and mobile phones for himself :). I think that S/S may also continue to receive some support from their sponsors after they retire from competitive skating, especially if they will continue skating professionally in shows and will keep their popularity in figure skating world up.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  38. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I thought S/S had Audi working as their sponsor, didn't they? I'm a bit surprised to know they had some matter of difficulties getting proper finances. They're four-time World champions, for god's sakes!
  39. Jeschke

don´t know about AUDI. Thomas lloyd is mentioned as their first big sponsor.

problem is: skating isn´t much popular any more in germany despite s/s success.
    in winter, when the are euros and worlds f.e. the main german tv channels show 8h wintersport a day, s/s can be happy if they summarize euros and worlds in 15minutes in the show, if at all.
  40. Marta24

Marta24 Member

Unfortunaly, figure skating doesn't matter in Germany.I am glad that Eurosport is showing figure skating even if only recorded,otherwise we wouldn't have the chance to watch figure skating at all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.