With a loud Jodel: German skating news

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Hedwig, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Junior Dance at this weekends Nationals is the second qualifier for Junior Worlds. so skating at the senior level would mean 1. no chance at a spot at junior worlds and 2. placing last at Senior Nationals :D

2. marsden

marsden New Member

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  3. grandma

grandma Active Member

Rumors are that Frohberg / Giesen are not coached by Rene Lohse anymore can anybody confirm?:confused:

4. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

would be no surprise after that disappointing season so far.
    but i am not a fan of switching coaches so quickly

5. LLOS

LLOS New Member

A bad season is not necessarily the fault of the coach ;)

6. Jeschke

Annette Dytrt is out of the Nationals, she is no longer in the entries.

does anyone knows something exactly? is there a chance to see her ever in competetion again?

it´s no surprise, that she is out of competiton, since there was no ability to qualify for europeans or worlds anymore. but i just hoped she would have the ambition to challenge and bother hecken :(

7. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Annette Dytrt has been struggeling with a back injury for months now and couldn't really train. I think a comeback would depend on her health, but it becomes more and more unlikely, unfortunately.

8. shah

shah Shhh...

:fragile:

9. sandra_persch

so is anyone brave enough to predict the outcome of Nationals this weekend?

10. Jeschke

i don´t think you need much courage to predict the winners, the podium predictions are much tougher though.

men
    1. liebers (peter of course)
    2. streubel
    3. dotzauer

ladies
    1. hecken
    2. paulinus
    3. drescher (much more wish than real expectation, but let´s see)

pairs
    1. savchenko/szolkowy
    2. hausch/wende
    3. gierok/just

ice dance
    1. zhiganshina/gaszi
    2. kolbe/caruos
    3. frohberg/gießen

andy more predictions?

11. sandra_persch

its really tricky to get the top 3 right ... here are my guesses

Ladies
    1. Hecken
    2. Paulinus
    3. Drescher or Füssinger

Mens
    1. Liebers P.
    2. Wiecorek
    3. Dotzauer or Fentz

Pairs
    1. S/S
    2. H/W
    3. G/J

Dance
    1. Z/G
    2. F/G ... thats wishful thinking I know
    3. K/C

12. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

I am not good at predicting, especially as I don't know in what shape some of the skaters are. With the ladies for example I think it is a shame that Julia Pfrengle cannot compete (she is injured). And I don't know how Katharina Häcker is doing, late last season she was quite in a good form, at least according to the scores (but these were no international competitions).

13. Jeschke

so, the german federation announced the team for the european championships:

men:
    peter liebers
    dennis wieczorek (qual.)

ladies:
    sarah hecken

pairs:
    savchenko/szolkowy
    hausch/wende
    gierok/just

ice dance:
    zhiganshina/gaszi

does someone know (hopefully sandra ;) ) why the german federation chose gierok/just instead of vartmann/van cleave? vartmann/van cleave came in second at the nationals behind s/s with obviously more points than gierok/just.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Posted in the German Nationals thread in Kiss and Cry:

15. Jeschke

thanks sylvia, i thought the previous difference was not that high, but that explains everything. maybe the bette choice; at the intarnational competitions the program components for gierok/just were obviusly higher than those from vartmann/van cleave.

16. grandma

grandma Active Member

It doesn`t really make much difference which of the two pairs are sent to Bern. Both are no way near to Hausch /Wende and certainly a million years away from S/S. In the Bern the field is not very strong.... apart from S/S, K/S,B/L,G/E, B/H,H/W.... and my "junior" favorites Kadlekova /Bidar (CZE)
    At Nationals :
    Vartmann / van Cleave showed stronger nerves than before although they were under pressure. For the first time Mari knows hat she can`t take anything for granted any more and has to fight and work in order to be accepted again. Mari is avery gifted skater , but just playing the diva as she has for many years has brought her into this very unsatisfying position:glamor:
    Gierok/ Just
    Their Free program at nationals was without any technical difficulties apart from the 3T. In the short she fell on the 3SThr and in the free they didn`t even attempt to do 3 throws and only doubled them.:rolleyes:
    Europeans are not the problem, if one of them were sent to WC either pair would probably have difficulties to qualify for the free.

17. LLOS

LLOS New Member

Well, Hausch/Wende started low too, they did not had over 130 points the first year, so we just have to wait and see how they develop. All three won't reach the level of S/S but does that really matter? Just a few do. They will work hard and get better with time, we should not expect to much. G/J will be very happy to participate at Euros what they did not expect at all this season. I do belive they have more potential than V/C.

Really? The protocols do say some level 4 elements, can't be that bad :p

18. grandma

grandma Active Member

Both pairs would have been foolish not to expect and work for a participation at least for EC, after all what have they been training for? They need the qualification and participation in order to have a mere chance for the national squad for next season. They will surely not acquire the points, so the participation at a major ISU championship is the only way.
    If Vartmann / VanCleave are not nominated for WC ( and I don`t believe they have a chance ) Mari will be out of the squad the 2nd year round.
    As everyone knows Vartmann / Van Cleave have left Dortmund and have changed their training base to Berlin taking their trainer with them, till the end of the season, according to a newspaper article on the german figure skating web site he will still commute between Berlin and Dortmund, but it seems as if Gierok / Just will have a fresh start with a new trainer after this season, which I think will do them good:)

19. sandra_persch

The German Federation has not used its 3rd spot in the past. Also maybe they were thinking Vartmann / van Cleave both very experienced pairs skaters would beat them by a mile

I have a feeling they might still make the Team despite the fact that they are not send to Euros or Worlds. I see both Teams improving from competition to competition and it would be foolish to exclude the Nationals silver medalist and include the bronze medalist just because one went to Euros and the other one didn't.

Mari & Aaron still have 3 ISU Senior events to improve and show the federation that they deserve to be on the team after their first season together. Does anyone know if they plan to compete at Bavarian Open, Mont Blanc Trophy or Challenge Cup in March?

Katharina finished school at the end of this season and it will be interesting to see what they decide. As long as its not one of the Gnilozubovs (Katharinas old singles coach and nightmare). I wonder if they would even consider going to Norman Jeschke who started coaching this season.
    Somehow I can't see them moving to Oberstdorf aKa worlds end or cows village.

20. marsden

marsden New Member

Actually Gieroks former singles coach does not do pairs training, as far as I know. His wife does.
    Why on earth did the poor girl stay with them for so many years and didn`t switch to one of the other top trainers in Dortmund, if she felt unhappy.
    As I understand you it must have been her parents who didn`t let her.

21. grandma

grandma Active Member

The german federation would be foolish not to use the third spot this year, as I wrote before either of the two pairs can skate between 8-10 place. Giving German 3 pairs under the first 10.
    Do you really think that Mari and Aaron as much as I like them as a pair can mange the points they need for securing a position on the national squad?
    What you do not understand that the problem lies within the history of the pair Vartmann / Just , the disaster starting with the unfortunate press conference after the
    German Nationals in Dresden 2008.
    Steuer was rightly unsatisfied at that time that the working ethic of his counterpart in Dortmund was financially supported, whereas his pair had to struggle to meet ends

22. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Let's not get back into that discussion, okay? :scream:

23. grandma

grandma Active Member

You are right Lisa:D
    But in order to understand why one pair is given the preference and the other not, one has to go to the roots.... as life before this incident was bliss and happiness for the pairs seeded in 2nd or third place after S/S with only their travel arrangmennts and shopping lists to worry about:shuffle:

24. sandra_persch

I really hope so! Plus there is always this little exception clause in the criteria whereby the coaches can suggest to admin additional skaters / team even if they haven't met the criteria.

A similar scenario might apply to Landgraf / Wenzig. They are in their first year as juniors and doing really well, but because Matti is already 18 they have to reach scored of 113 twice. So far they have score 98.92, 110.69, 104.23 and 101.83. Should they leave the best/only? Junior Team competing right now off the team because they might not be able to reach the score twice? She is too young to do ISU event this season so they only have 2 competitions left

I sure hope the federation will be smart enough to see improvements and potential over some silly scoring requirements on a piece of paper.

25. marsden

marsden New Member

I agree with you regarding Wenzig/ Landgraf, as they already made an exception last year as he was already too old for D/C. Here the rule goes that they want to support a young team which undoubtably has potential, which is also due to fact that Frau Scheibe is an exceptional trainer., who knows what to look out for in a pair.
    Mari carries the burden that one is highly unsatisfied with her former behavior and work ethic. She has to do a lot to regain the confidence.

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I feel like Groundhog Day and it's very possible I asked this question like 5 times already (or maybe I'm just crazy :p) but are Zhiganshina and Gazsi married?

27. sandra_persch

Nope :D but they are romantically involved and living together ;)

28. grandma

grandma Active Member

Well PIrouette says they live together in order to save the costs as Zhinganshina has no financial means as she is not allowed to work in Germany because she does not have a permanent residency permit which would allow her to take on a job. If I am correct it is clearly stated that they are not "together, together " , but then sandra might have a more insight news.:D

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's a shame because if they got married, maybe she could finally get German citizenship to compete at Sochi.

I mean they've been living in Germany for almost 2 years already now.

It would be such a shame if they could never do Olympics. :(

30. Jeschke

what a performance of nelli&alex today.
    if they go on like that, the german federation won´t hesitate to fight for her passport :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.