With a loud Jodel - German skating news part 2

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Jeschke, Jan 28, 2014.

1. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

There is an MDR news report saying that there will be a meeting on July 18th where some officials will decide whether Ingo Steuer might get some sort of compensation for his work, apparently a compromise is possible. Ingo is quoted as saying that instead of an official salary it would be possible that he can get compensation for travel expenses and other expenses.
    It also says that Ingo wants them to compete for Germany.
    The report also quotes Aljona as saying that skating conditions in Chemnitz are way better than in Caen. But it is also mentions that France signalled to them that they probably won't release Bruno to skate for Germany.
    Ingo is then quoted as saying that this would not be too bad; they would have to sit out 2 years instead of one if he does not get released.

Then the article also quotes Ingo saying he has another offer from a different federation. It would be a four year contract "and his life insurance".

My question: Is he right with the 2 years? I mean Lubov apparently still is not released by Russia.
    And I think messing with the French federation is not a good idea. I again wonder whether the absence of German skaters at next seasons's TEB has something to do with this new pairing.

Here is the article
    http://www.mdr.de/sport/andere_sportarten/eiskunstlauf162.html

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It depends on what the policies of the French Fed are. If they are specific and he meets the criteria for a release in two years, then, presumably yes, until Gailhaguet changes them. If the criteria are vague, then if denied, after two seasons out he can apply for an exception under Rule 109, clarified in Communication 1420 (old, but still referenced) under the "hardship" track. There's no guarantee the ISU would grant one, especially if Gailhaguet is running the ISU, but he can try.

They've got to settle on a country, because they can't have competed for another country within three years of the Olympics, and the Olympics are the only reason she's doing this.

3. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

now she's doing dance? last i heard was she was trying pairs under fajfr, but that was a while ago, i thought she vanished then...

4. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Thanks so much for the info!

They talk about choosing a country as though getting citizenship for either won't be an issue. Does anyone know anything about how difficult it would be for her to get French or him to get German citizenship in time for the Olympics? Would one be easier than the other? I really want this to work for them, but I'm starting to get worried!

5. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

something tells me it would be easier for him to get a German one coming from a French one that for her to get a french one with the history of changing from Ukraine to Germany already

6. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

France normally requires 5 years residency for citizenship, but it can be reduced to 2 years for someone who has "rendered exceptional service to France through their talents and abilities", which perhaps could cover an elite athlete. There is also a provision for it to be waived completely, but only in truly exceptional circumstances. Germany normally requires 7 years residency, but that can be reduced if the individual can demonstrate sufficient ties to justify their claim to citizenship & there must be some provision to speed things up for athletes because Savchenko got her citizenship after only 4 years.

7. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Thanks for explaining, morqet!

8. sandra_persch

WOW they must really have fastracked Aaron van Cleave, Ruben Blommaert and Stefano Caruso then.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Making Azerbeijan (or is it Kazakhstan?) clearly the way to go? :p

10. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

For European Union citizens, it is not too difficult to receive German citizenship. They can apply after three years of residency. Pair skater Ruben Blommaert, originally from Belgium, applied for citizenship in March as soon as he had his three yeras of residency. He became a German citizen on July 1. So it effectively took him three years and three months. Bruno Massot should register now in Germany, just in case, so he can apply in time for citizenship and he should receive it in time for February 2018. He also would have enough time to study German. :)

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Kazakhstan is one of the few left in the running for the 2022 Olympics, no? I could see them throwing a bunch of money at Olympic training, but it would also mean they have remarkable foresight if they were locking in a great coach now.

The issue with another Federation, unless it's the Ukranian Fed, is that Rule 109 states that skaters can be barred from switching Feds if the ISU feels they are being bought (ex: by an unrelated country).

12. Eislauffan

In fact, yes, Jennifer Urban switched to ice dance and is training with Sevan Lerche. I just was in Oberstdorf yesterday and the day before yesterday and spoke to her. I think she looks good as an ice dancer and I hope it works out for her.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Video Interview of Annabelle Prölss/Ruben Blommaert (Oberstdorf, July 2014) - thanks Eislauffan!
    http://www.figureskating-online.com/proelss-blommaert.html
    Excerpt:

14. sandra_persch

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If I understand this correctly with the help of Google Translate, the two competitors in each discipline for Euros will be the two who meet the ISU qualifications, including the minimum scores by 21 days before the first official Euros practice, and whose two best scores from international competition category 1 (JGP and GP; the rest are held after Euros or are Euros) and category 2 (the Challenger Series competitions, except for USIFSC) and the German Championships are the highest. If there's a tie, it's broken by ISU WS rank after German Championships.

In singles and Dance, the top scorer at Euros goes to Worlds, and both Euros Pairs go to Worlds, if the ISU minimums are met.

If I'm following it correctly, there are similar selection criteria for Jr. Worlds, with at least one JGP required?, but also if there is one German skater/team at JGPF, that skater/team gets the spot, except for Ladies, where Germany has two spots. If more than one, highest placement at JGPF gets the spot. I couldn't understand 3.3, though.

For GP, Weinzierl, Liebers, Zhiganshina/Gazsi, Wende/Wende and Vartmann/van Cleave have two each. Prolss/Blommaert are in the Top Five alternates group, with B/H's spots at SA and RC to be assigned, and they'll be eligible for any withdrawal spots until they are assigned two. In Dance, Koch/Nuchtern are SB 62 and Schiffner/Salatzki are SB 65, with many between them and the Top Five alternates group. Similarly, Streubel is SB 67 and Bock is SB 68 (if any plan to skate Senior). Anyone else who wants the senior spot in singles or Dance will have to do well in the Challenger Series and be a German Championships spoiler.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  16. sandra_persch

For Junior Worlds (3.3) the scores of the 2 highest scoring junior events count. If any junior age eligible skaters compete at senior nationals and are in the top 6 highest scoring junior age eligible skaters they will be invited to compete at junior nationals too. there scores will not count toward determining who is junior champion.
    junior nationals is the final qualifier for junior worlds.

as far as I know but Lutricia Bock and Maria-Katharina Herceg will skate Juniors this season, though Herceg seems to be injured right now.

with the age requirement changes reversed Schiffner / Salatzki could skate juniors one last time and I wonder if they will or not.

kwanfan1818 likes this.
  17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

So that means they are comparing the scores that a Junior earns at Senior Championships to the scores the juniors earn at Junior Championships, even though there is a required jump in the Junior SP and one less element in the shorter FS and FD.

I guess it might be a good strategy for a junior to pick up additional points.

Thank you, sandra_persch!

18. sandra_persch

they only take senior nationals to determine who will be allowed to compete at junior nationals, which is normally not permitted, but for the qualifier only the scores from junior nationals count.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    kwanfan1818 likes this.
  19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thanks again: I didn't read your first post correctly.

20. sandra_persch

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think the video is telling me it can be seen in Germany only, but I hope he and Leuenberger become in demand and that the Pairs Men Mafia get him invited to some lucrative shows.

22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

23. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

WOW

This has - hands down - been the craziest off season EVER!

24. aftershocks

^^ You should get a load of the discussion in French news thread which should probably be in Savchenko/ Massot thread, or even a thread of its own in Politically Incorrect.

25. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

26. Eislauffan

Yes, the NOC lifted the Stasi ban against Steuer and he can receive funding. Further talks of the NOC with the German Skating Federation and the Minstery of Interior Affairs (that is funding high level sports in Germany) about Ingo's future as a coach in Germany will be based on this decision.

This also increases the chances that Savchenko/Massot will skate for Germany (they will have to get Bruno released, which is another story).

27. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I hope this will mean Prolss/Blommaert might shift to Steuer at some point. They have such potential and I think he could really take them far.

28. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

so, these are at least some good news but still no final decision; i hope this wil be the first step, that ingo can remain in germany.

but then, the fight for 'germanizing' massot will begin, which will maybe a fight in the same dimenson :)

29. aftershocks

Good news and I'm glad to hear it regarding Ingo. He has done wonderful things for his country as a figure skater and a coach. It seems to me he's always had strong feelings of patriotism for his country and that's why he held on as long as he did without being paid.

Regarding Massot, I think the French federation's statement (English translation) is still somewhat murky. What about Massot initiating German citizenship asap? And might it help if somewhere in his background there might be a German, Swiss, or Austrian forebear? :) France can't hold Massot against his will forever, but time is of the essence for this partnership.

30. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

This is great news for Ingo but it puts the Savchenko/Massot pairing in a even harder situation concerning which country to represent.