With a loud Jodel - German skating news part 2

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Jeschke, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

I couldn´t agree more!
    We can´t be the only (and the first ones) who compare these two cases. Karel Fajfrs case was controversially discussed, when Anette Dytrt chose him as a coach.
    I remember clearly, that people were OK with it after a short time, as long as he doesn´t coach young underaged girls. Now he coaches Pröls/ Blommaert, and everyone is OK with that too. I mean, he seems to be rehabilitated completely from his past, I can´t see a single reason why Ingo shouldn´t be as well.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  2. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

:confused: I was talking about the most recent controversy with the BKA (German national police) guy. It's yet another example as to how that kind of crime is treated in Germany and used it to explain why someone like Fajfr would receive funding and someone like Steuer wouldn't. Simply because something's wrong in our system but, as I said, that belongs in another part of this board.

3. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I'm probably sounding like I've living under a rock - skating concerned -: how are S/S making a living for themselves and paying for Ingo?
    Given the situation and the personal relationship between the three of them, which seems to be really good, is Ingo even asking for money, or is he living off his own (that is if, he has his own)?
    Are they not founded by Germany just with regards to their coach, of, say, also for ice time, costumes, equipments?
    And what about the travelling (their travelling and Ingo's)?

4. care bear

care bear Active Member

They have got a sponsor (Thomas Lloyd) and they skate at shows like "Art on Ice".

5. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

Whoops:cool: I got got you wrong there, I thought you were referring to Fajfr as well ;)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  6. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

That's a pretty good question, although I can only tell some things I know:
    a lot of things like traveling is supported by their sponsors. Ice time (with summer ice) is shouldered by the city of Chemnitz.
    As it goes for their costumes: I think Aliona does the creative part on her own.
    S/S athletic coach is Alionas father :)
    Choreography is completely by Ingo, programs like "When winter comes" were often performed by Andre Rieu, a friend of Ingo. Don´t ask me who is paying that:)
    All facts combined, they are pretty much "a self made" pair.

I think now, that they are an established word class pair, things go smoother for them. With the money they win on trophys, and the money they gain on ice shows, they should come around. Are they getting rich or even appropriate payment for their work? Definitely not :eek:

Here is a very interesting article dealing with their startup time, mentioning the financial problems they had to deal with in the beginning:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2007/07/mission-accomplished/

loulou and (deleted member) like this.
  7. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Me too. Fajfr would be barred from coaching for life here.

8. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I knew about shows. And I assumed they might have had sponsors. But aside from skating expenses, the two (three) of them have to pay for housing, food, clothing, laptops, cell phones, cell phone plans, possiblly a vacation once a year, movie and pizza, and everything that goes into a normal living, that is usually sustained by income, or, in some cases, family money. And I doubt sponsor and shows together would cover all that.

Thanks a lot for your answer!

That part is easy to believe, she's incredible!

Maybe that's whay I love them so much.
    And maybe, possibly, that's why they've always been the ones who think outside the box: they didn't have the funding to think inside the box.
    Blessings in disguise, both for them and for us (us fans, I mean).

9. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

[/QUOTE]Maybe that's whay I love them so much.
    And maybe, possibly, that's why they've always been the ones who think outside the box: they didn't have the funding to think inside the box.
    Blessings in disguise, both for them and for us (us fans, I mean).[/QUOTE]

You´re welcome;)
    I´ve never considered it from the positive side :), maybe you´re right and it is that what makes them even more unique ;)
    But still their uniqueness could have been paid better .....

10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'm not OK with it. Both from the perspective she's a young girl and from the fact she/they could be so much more with Ingo as her coach. It grieves me to think of what could be and likely won't.

11. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

Me neither.... but that's what seems to be the major reactions, or there are no reactions at all. Fajfr seems to be able to go on with his life as a coach (fine: with limitations), but Ingo Steuer seems to be practically "banned for life", and the unfairest thing about it is, that his skaters are as well. I think it´s the pairs skaters decisions to choose a coach, so from that standpoint I accept P/B´s choice, but still (in the back of my head) I´m asking myself, if this is a real choice or made by them because of a lack of alternatives.....:confused: Pairs coaches are rare....in my own personal very selfish opinion, I would vote for P/B with Ingo Steuer :D

12. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

-

13. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

I also would love to see Annabelle Prölß/Ruben Blommaert with Ingo Steuer. But it is a problem financially, of course. They cannot afford to pay their coach completely themselves. Also, they would need a place to stay, and Annabelle is too young to live alone.

14. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

To be honest, right now I think they are both too young and inexperienced to work with Steuer. In one or two years (given Annabelles age in three or four), that would be great though.....I think they are really talented, and have a good perspective to achieve something, and therefore Ingo could be the right coach....As for the "Steuer Problems", my hopes are on Alfons Hörmann now. I really hope that he didn´t just talk but do something, even if it´s too late for S/S now.

15. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

speaking about coaches: does anyone know, what's next for Michael Huth? With Carolina and Thomasz retiring from their active career, what's next for him?

16. Eislauffan

First of all Carolina said that she might not retire if she still enjoys training and competing. We'll see what happens.
    Michael Huth coaches a couple of other skaters including Joti Poliziakis (GER). National bronze medalist Nicole Schott (GER) wants to switch coaches and move to Oberstdorf to train with him as well.

You found an interesting spelling mix for Tomas (looks like a kind of German-Polish spelling) ;-)

17. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

Thanks for your answer! Oh my hopes getting up again for Carolina might not retire :D I just thought, because it was mentioned before in several places, that this is a definite decision.
    About the spelling for Tomas: yep it kind of is. I knew before that the "s" has that hook above. I didn´t find it, so I went for the only orthography which made sense out of the spelling of his name. As for the "h": typical german typo :duh:
    I´m happy for Nicole, I hope this step will work out for her :)

18. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

What about Tomash? that would also made sense... ;)

Tomáš

19. Eislauffan

When we don't have the hacek on top of the s, we just use the s, for example in the German magazine, although that does not reflect the correct prononciation of the letter.

20. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

I´ve heard that people in Oberstdorf are calling him "Tommy", makes sense for me: its easier to write :lol:

You´re right of course, but the "sh" looks so weird behind his name that I decided that must be wrong :D It was more just gut feeling

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  21. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

22. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

As for Carolina, she told a lot of times she will still skate and would like to stay in shape as Lambiel and Arakawa. But she will definitely train less and would like to concentrate on artistry. She would like to have programs where she don't need to count and have the limits of roles. What I read is she will skate in shows and not in competition any more. So worlds will almost certain be her last competition (maybe Japan Open or something like it).

23. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

Thank you Jeschke, I really hope it works for them at worlds, so that Robin can retire in peace :cheer:

24. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

Thank you, Robin and Aliona ! You will be badly missed.....:wuzrobbed

It looked like Ingo in the kiss and cry corner couldn't decide whether he should cry or put on a happy face .....

25. Meteorlight

Meteorlight Active Member

I'm just going to freeload off of this post and agree with everything therein :)

26. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

You´re welcome ;) So happy, that they got their deserved ending :encore:

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  28. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

Is it..... really :confused:
    Last thing I´ve heard from them is S/S having signed a preliminary contract with Art in Ice :confused: Sounded like a plan B for Aliona, but still.....
    Well I´ll be at "Imagine on Ice", so I keep you updated ....

29. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Please, please, please let it be Mervin Tran.

30. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Congrats to Aliona and Robin on world title #5! I can't believe that was their last comp :wuzrobbed: I'm a little torn now about her going on without Robin...

So is she going to skate with Robin in their shows while also training the new guy?! That seems weird, just trading out partners between practice sessions.