With a loud Jodel - German skating news part 2

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Jeschke, Jan 28, 2014.

1. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Robin is not that old. Hongbo Zhao was 36 when he won his OGM so Robin can go a couple of more years he is far healthier than Zhao was unless he has had surgeries he didn’t tell us about. Aliona is about Trankov’s age and is healthy as well and is still one of the best pairs in the world so I don’t think it’s a stretch they continue for a while.

Teams don’t have to end their careers after the Olympics they can retire in 2016. In reality, they’ve been to 64 competitions and they've won 60 medals. I know they’re disappointed with two bronze medals at the Olympics but being two falls away from silver medals is not bad; most teams will never come close. Even some who get Olympic medals will never leave the legacy they already have left.

I hope they give it time and make the wise choice but I do hope they skate worlds and come back for at least two more years not with 2018 in mind but just with a renewed joy for skating.

2. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Shen and Zhao did it, they had such a similar career path too. Nobody after their 2nd Olympic bronze in 2006 would've expected them to win 4 years later. Quite honestly I think Sui/Han will be the team to beat by then, and I think if S/S gave it another go then their PCS would probably stack up really well.

It was really hard to enjoy the top 2's "moment" knowing how upset S/S were with that skate. :( One skate doesn't define an entire career of brilliance, they will be remembered forever no matter what in nothing but a positive way.

3. mazzy

mazzy Active Member

Robin is probably tired with competitive skating. Even if he could add a couple of years physically, I'm not sure that is what he wants to do...additionally, he needs to be thinking about his future. Given figure skating's lack of popularity in Germany, I doubt they are making serious money. I believe he expressed an interest in coaching so he might do that.

Even if both thought they wanted to give it another go in 2018, their best strategy would probably be to keep in good shape, avoid pounding their bodies in daily trainings as well as the competitive circus where their deficiencies vis-à-vis younger couples would get too much exposure and make a comeback in 2018. This strategy has worked for S/Z & Plush after all.

4. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Find a Russian and skate for Ukraine again! Hello Smirnov. Are you healthy? This is Aliona.

5. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

[/QUOTE]
    question of savchenko with new partner: he said, he heard of this, but they were confused; aliona is young, robin is old; but at first in our heads is worlds, we are nominated, but not decided to go until now. we need to talk about that. but it's sure we don't want to leave with such a performance.
    they want to win their 8th consecutive worlds medal, would be the 1st pair in history (that's true?), once again: aliona is young, robin still in shock and needs time.[/QUOTE]

Hi Jeschke!
    When and were had that happened?? The last thing I´ve heard from them was the interview taken in Sochi (today), where all three of them (and Miss Treitz) were interviewed....was this the same interview?

Maybe I have missed it, but there was not even a little clue that was mentioned about "the splitting up thing". Indeed Aljona said that she doesn´t want end up their career with such an ending and that she is ready to look Forward to the worlds, and Robin clearly said, that going to the worlds means to put the Olympics behind, and he isn´t quite ready yet (which doesn´t mean, that he isn´t in a few days or at all).They also mentioned their Show "Imagine on Ice"....which is after the Worlds. They just didn´t sound, that they were going to separate.
    I really think that the public should give them some time to think about it, instead of "forcing" answers from them (well maybe from Robin) right now.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Did you just ask if Smirnov is healthy? Where have you been? If he were healthy he would have been Sochi probably with medals of his own.

Either way, Germany won't let her go and Russia won't let him go.

I doubt she'd leave Robin just to start over.

7. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Can you see Germany say no to her after everything she has done for them?
    I saw a recent video of Smirnov and he was fine. Am sure they will all line up to skate with her.

8. bek

bek Guest

I too like them going to Worlds and having a much better competition there.

9. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Oh please, if there was to be a split, forget about Smirnov. Fresh and healthy Roganov is out there without a partner :p

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I hate seeing when skaters don't know when to pack it in and keep chasing that elusive gold medal that will never come. Besides finding a partner as good as Robin she will be 34 in 2018 and probably not in her peaks years anymore.

11. Messalina

Messalina Seasonal Curmudgeon

I was :( at this passage in the first article:

Savchenko monierte zudem die unlauteren Mittel der Gastgeber: "Es war brutal schwer, die Russen waren unfair zu uns." Als einziges Team hätten die Russen eine eigene Kabine gehabt, beim Warmlaufen habe man ihr in letzter Sekunden das Betreten des Eises verweigert. "Sie wollten mich nervös machen."

Savchenko also complained about the inequality in resources provided by the host country. "It was an incredibly hard situation−the Russians were so unfair to us." According to her, the Russians were the only team with their own private dressing room. And she was barred from the ice until the very last moment for the warmup. "They wanted to make me nervous," she said.

12. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

ingo mentioned that again in the german broadcasting; usually it was common practice in the last years, that aliona is entering the ice as first one in the warm-up (hell knows, why? but seems like it have been); in sochi, somehow, she wanted to enter the ice at first again but they won't let her and let v/t on the ice first.

maybe a little mental trick, but something like that shouldn't work to bring such a top team out of concept.

13. Jeschke

hi,

the interview with s/s happened in the zdf german broadcasting studio in sochi. zdf is on of the two big broadcasters of germany; only s/s were present, not steuer or treitz, or at least not in front of the camera.

the interview with steuer was during the mens free skate before the final group, as he joined the german commentators of zdf (daniel weiss and katherina witt).

14. Karpenko

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but after seeing how Aliona accessorized her Olympic podium outfit I fully support her in her quest for 2028 Olympic gold and whichever partners she graces with her presence.

Keep up the good work Ashley! ;)

Gutted for how their Olympic dreams turned out as a pair but as a Kwan fan you learn to block out these times and think of how many more people will remember them 20 years from now when skating looks completely different. They always went against the grain as a pair no matter what from the first moment the spotlight was on them, a true legendary one-of-a-kind pair during a decade of safe and generic programs. :respec:

Messalina and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^Aww, such nice words, Karpenko. But what do you mean about her podium outfit?

16. Karpenko

She looks like rainbow sherbert with the red scarf and the pink pants, it compliments the Germany Olympic jackets really well.

I also like to think she was just like "screw this second bronze" and was hoping to be a badass in some way to let her presence be known. "If it weren't for ME, there would be no OGM - I like, invented her you know what I mean? You're welcome Russia, now have this rainbow."

17. Loves_Shizuka

^Let's be honest, that's probably EXACTLY what she was thinking.

18. annie_mg

annie_mg Active Member

Haha Karpenko ! Any pics of that? I didn't watch the medal ceremony....

19. Karpenko

20. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

21. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

Thank you Jeschke, that explains a lot;) i got some connection problems during the life stream, must have missed that interview:wuzrobbed

Anyway: GO PETER LIEBERS:cheer:

22. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Superstition maybe?

23. Jeschke

best thing of liebers short was the german commentator, who started to speak, how close the medals are.

and then katherina witt interjected:'daniel (name of the moderator), don't you dare to speak of medals. this place is so great, don't dare to dream of medals.'

24. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

Yes I´ve heard that:lol:

I even wonder if he took his music for the (maybe??) exibitions with him :rofl:

25. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

Summary after 3 decisions: right now I feel sorry for a third place in pairs and extremely cheered for an 8th place in men singles.....:wideeyes: thats figure skating

26. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: ITA! Thanks for the link to the medal ceremony, Karpenko. Well, it just wasn't in the cards for Aliona and Robin at Olympics. I think a lot of times the best do not get rewarded at an Olympics due to politics. Quite bad re the discourteousness that S/S were subjected to re warmups and accommodations. Unsurprisingly too I suppose being that the home team were dead set on ensuring Olympic gold for Russia in team and pairs events, and went to whatever lengths they could to ensure. I was hoping that Aliona and Robin would have been able to bring some of the magic they embodied at Grand Prix Final, but the effort to make S/S uncomfortable in Sochi seemingly had them a bit out of their magic zone.

Indeed, Aliona (and Ingo too) definitely played an important role in inspiring and helping to develop Tatiana Volosozhar (when she trained with them in Germany). It annoys me to watch Tatiana having consistently adopted the practice of rubbing her hands together just before a performance, a mannerism she blatantly copies from Aliona. Although, Aliona having been there, done that no longer uses that gesture for pre-performance prep. Also, the practice of throwing a huge triple throw jump at the tail end of a program was first boldly executed under CoP by Aliona and Robin. However, tv commentators acted as if it was some creation of Stolbova/Klimov when they did it in their Olympic sp. In fact, at first I didn't even recognize Stolbova/Klimov. They have totally changed their style ... a mix now of S/S edgy innovative moves with some of the energy, choreographic verve and style of the Canadians. It definitely ain't Russian aesthetic S/K pulled out of the hat to win silver medal!

Shame on NBC for not honoring the German pair and their coach Ingo, with at least a brief tribute to all that they have contributed to pairs figure skating since 2006. In fact, S/S innovative style has been adopted by many pairs -- Pang/Tong won a silver medal at last Olympics by adopting a few of the moves and flair of S/S, IMHO.

The fact Russia is also pushing for bronze in ice dance with B/S is really bad politics. B/S have improved under Zhulin, but they are still quite sloppy at times compared with other teams. No way B/S should have been above the French in the team short dance.

I salute and congratulate Aliona, Robin, and Ingo! The Three Musketeers -- the impact they have had on pairs figure skating will never be forgotten. When fs historians look back on this time, they will be amazed that Savchenko/ Szolkowy never won Olympic gold, in the same way they will be surprised that Michelle Kwan never won OGM. But no matter, Aliona, Robin, and MKwan all transcend that Olympic gold with their unique inimitable talent, their class, and their courage!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    shah and (deleted member) like this.
  27. bek

bek Guest

Tatiana was considered great before she even went to Ingo. There's an old interview when her and Stan were still with Galina Kukhar. They were talking about how people are trying to steal Tatiana like they took Aliona. Stating that she and Aliona were the best female pairs skaters in the world. Galina coached Aliona too and probably has way more to do with both Tatiana and Aliona's similarities, than Aliona herself does.

And Galina was coached by Nina Mozer's mother and then for awhile by the Soviet great Zhuk....Both girls probably owe a lot to Kukhar and the tradition she comes from.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014
  28. Messalina

Messalina Seasonal Curmudgeon

Ah, exactement! And hence our love for her.

I get her annoyance at being kept off the ice till last, but it sort of sounds like she feels entitled to go on first because she is ALIONA. And, mostly, people wouldn't dare cross her. But a sekret source in Russia (surely under direct orders from Putin) knew about her preference or superstition or whatever it was and braved her wrath and barred her way.

I have to add how excited I was to see a German man end up in 8th. Shocked even! In a good way. If only Germany could work its way back up to a singles situation such as we had in the 90s with Tanja Szewczenko (or even a Marina Kielmann-level skater). Sigh. I miss Tanja still. But I hope Peter Liebers' star continues to rise.

29. Loves_Shizuka

^It'd be fantastic! Twenty years ago this year, German women finished 3rd and 4th in the World (Szewczenko and Kielmann respectively) It'd be wonderful to get back to that level.

30. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

How can you seriously say that? Firstly, Tatiana and Aliona skated at the same rink in Ukraine a long time before they ended at the same rink in the Germany. One could argue that not only Aliona played an important role in inspiring and helping to develop Tatiana, but it could also have been the other way round - Tatiana inspiring Aliona. Secondly, in regards to rubbing her hands together just before a performance, how can you know for sure that Tatiana copied this from Aliona? It could have been Aliona copying it from Tatiana all those years ago...