Winter show

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by treesprite, Dec 23, 2013.

1. treesprite

treesprite New Member

Wondering if anyone cares to share about their winter shows.
  2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Me, me me! But this is more in the snark category, rather than happy. I work for a local university and our club performs a group number at the opening of a seasonal rink in front of a big hotel. It's actually a really nice set-up since it's in a popular area and we get a good crowd who comes to watch & skate in the free public skating (including skate rentals) that follows the show. This year, we got lots of snow and some rain the morning before the show, so we were pretty surprised when we heard it wasn't cancelled. Drove to the rink and finally managed to park on the street through mounds of snow, only to find out the show was cancelled after all. Erm, right. We did get free brunch since they felt bad for us, but I really wish the cancellation would have been better managed.

On the bright side, we did several runthroughs at a public session Saturday before the show and ended up having *all* the public skaters sitting by the boards, watching and cheering at the end. Which was a nice surprise and confirmation that we were finally in reasonably good unison. Unfortunately, never had a chance to do it at the actual rink opening. But we'll probably keep the program for next year :).

eta: upside down video from earlier in the week. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9_-plb8h9hzZG5hSTl5MXB5QUU/edit
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  3. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

We did a free recital at the rink. Some of the kids did competitive numbers and others did special holiday numbers. I actually couldn't be there, since I had to work at my other job, but the big picture in the newspaper was of the little duet I helped choreograph. One of my little skaters and one of my daughter's teamed up for "All I Want for Christmas Is You", with one of them as a little girl and the other as her Christmas puppy. I added some whistles and barking to the sound track, and it turned out pretty cute! Two of my adult skaters reworked an old program to "You Make Me Feel So Young", dressed up as little kids. They and another of my adult students were interviewed for the accompanying article. We'll be doing some exhibitions at the outdoor rink this winter, so that number will probably get used some more.
  4. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

That's adorable!

:lol::dog: I don't suppose there's a video?
  5. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

If there is, I haven't seen it yet. We were pretty happy with how it turned out, though! Both girls were pretty puzzled when we explained that the song was originally about wanting to have a boyfriend for Christmas - they thought that was gross!
  6. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

Even cuter! Puppies rule!