Windows XP Support Ends April 2014

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Maofan7, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

For anybody who does not know, Microsoft will be ending Windows XP support in April 2014. I normally replace my computers every 3 years, and I have been fortunate in that I have been able to keep on using Windows XP (avoiding the dreadful Vista, and the not much better Windows 7). It has also mean't that I have been able to avoid having to unnecessarily replace my software.

However, as Windows XP support ends in April 2014, change is now unavoidable. Anybody using Windows XP won't get the normal updates, which will mean that they will be increasingly vulnerable to viruses, trojan's, and all sorts of other nasties as time goes by.

I have just acquired a Windows 8 computer. As I bypassed Vista and Windows 7, I have to say that it is a pain in the neck getting to grips with it. I also had to throw out a lot of my old software and replace it (e.g. I had to replace Adobe Acrobat 7 with Adobe Acrobat Xi Pro, as 7 would not work on Windows 8)

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I have no idea what to do. I'm gonna stick with XP for now and take my chances.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Be careful, Rex. Antivirus companies will stop providing updates for their XP products as well later this year. We decided to get a cheap Win7 box to replace our shared desktop. I'm going to ignore Win8 until Microsoft gets it's sh!t together and gives us an OS shell for real work.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I may have to buy a new desktop - I think XP is as high as my Dell Dimension B110 goes. I have an acquaintance who works for The Geek Squad - I might have to call him. I thought about going back to Linux, but it's a total PITA for a non-computer geek to operate.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Windows 8 is still a total mess apparently, right?

6. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of going with a Mac to avoid the viruses without installing an antiviral software, even though it will be more expensive than a PC.

7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

It's not a mess, it's just got a lot of interface features that are useless if you're using a "regular" laptop or desktop (as opposed to a smartphone or tablet). But a single click takes you to the desktop that looks pretty much exactly the same as 98/XP/ME. It still has the odd goofiness but they're very easy to get used to.

And it's still about 10,000 x better than Vista.

Hey, if my 75-yr-old computer-phobe of a mother can make the transition from her Win95 computer to Windows 8 with barely a blip ... anyone can do it.

8. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I recommend anyone try an OS before they buy, if they can. It's one thing to hear reviews from other people, it's another to try it out yourself.

Apple Stores make this super-easy, of course. There's not much to do in an Apple Store besides play with the wares. Maybe Best Buy and Staples, etc are still good for something? IIRC they had display setups of laptops with the latest OSes.

I haven't used any Windows OS newer than XP, because my old job still stuck with them. I guess they can't anymore. :lol: I've had a Mac at home for a few years. I do design, so it makes sense, but a Mac is IMO overkill for people who don't do artistically-related things.

9. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

So if I have hundreds of documents all created in Word, Excel, Powerpoint versions 2003/2007, will I still be able to open them if I get a new computer with Windows 8? Will I be able to copy them all onto a new computer with Windows 8?

So getting one with Windows 8 would be better than getting one with Windows 7?

And really, the only problem will be if you go on the internet, right? So I can keep my old tower unit with Windows XP on it and still use it to access stuff thru the desktop, just don't go on the internet with it to be safe?

:shuffle: no technik.

10. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Yes.
    I run Office 2007 on my Windows 8 computer without any problems.
    If you can get Office 2010, go for it, I used it at work and it's really good.

No. Windows 7 is 3575642 times better than 8. I think it's actually better than XP.
    Microsoft alternates between good and crap OS.
    XP - good
    Vista - crap
    7 - good
    8 - crap
    Hopefully, they'll come up with something better next time (8.1 doesn't count).

I don't think they sell new home computers with W7 anymore, and you can't just downgrade to W7 from W8 (god knows I tried with mine...).

Not really. if browser updates still work on XP, you're good to go. Just stay the freck away for Internet Explorer.
    Anti-virus software might be a problem, though.

;)

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I was able to score a Dell Inspiron 3000 series with Win7 for around $400. Shop around and check Amazon, too. The newest stuff is more than powerful enough for the average user.

As for Apple being less susceptible to viruses, don't count on it. XP is the easiest to crack so hackers have been focusing on it. Once most users get on a more secure platform, hackers will have to move on.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  12. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Oh, please, tell me where to click!

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

So, first the French Federation threatens to withdraw support from Gwendal XP (and will probably do so soon), then Microsoft goes ahead and withdraws support from Windows XP.

Coincidence? I think not.

:watch:

14. Artemis@BC

Just click on the Desktop icon. Depending on what's installed with Win8 it may take a while to find that icon among all the other apps, but you can rearrange the opening screen apps so that the Desktop one is front and centre.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Last I heard, there were some issues with graphics not working correctly in some of the Blizzard games and after looking into it, it was determined that it's one of the recent Windows 8 updates that was the cause of that. So I'm wondering whether there's possibly more issues like that popping up.

16. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

HP has recently started selling computers with Win 7 again.

My current computer is Windows 7. 2 years old and I'm hoping it lasts a long time, to avoid Win 8 for as long as I can. I hope the successors to Win 8 are a lot more like Win 7, but I'm not holding my breath. My previous computer was Vista and that was a PITA.

17. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

This is why I went ahead last October and purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 on it. I still have my old Dell laptop with Windows XP, and I only use it to make videos and play some games on. I plan on disabling the internet from my old Dell before April comes around. There are other things that can be done with an old laptop or PC like the things I just mentioned. Photos, documents, etc. can also be stored on the old Windows XP laptop. It's sort of like having an extra external hard drive for storage.

18. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I decided to do some research about Windows XP SP3 after the support expires in April. I've found some very good tips that will keep Windows XP running pretty well after the Microsoft support and the security updates expire.

It means that Internet Explorer 9 will also no longer be supported in Windows XP. I downloaded and installed Mozilla FireFox. I then made it the default browser for Windows XP. There will continue to be updates in Windows XP for Mozilla FireFox to make it secure. I already like FireFox and it also transferred my favorites/bookmarks which was really nice.

If you're using Microsoft Security Essentials for your antivirus, don't uninstall it. Microsoft will continue to provide virus and spyware dfinitions (updates) until April of 2015. If you don't have Microsoft Security Essentials, you can use Avast Free. Avast Free will continue to provide updates for Windows XP.

I'm sure there may be other antivirus programs that will still provide updates, but you have to look for them.

Uninstall Adobe Reader if that's what you're using with Windows XP. It's very susceptible to getting viruses - now more than ever with Windows XP. I'm using Foxit Reader and it protects against security vunerabilities.

It also would be a good idea to disable Java in the browser because it will also carry security vuneralbilities in windows XP. Go to the control panel and select the classic view. Look for the Java icon, and click on it. Select the "security" tab at the top. Uncheck the box that says "Enable Java". I've already disabled it on my old laptop with Windows XP.

One other security measure I am using is Glarysoft Utilities which is free to download. There are several useful tools including tracks eraser, registry cleaner, spyware remover, malware remover, shortcut fixer, disk repair, temporary files cleaner, startup manager.

After using Glarysoft for about month, I decided to purchase Glarysoft Pro because of the other valuable tools. There was a sale on it at the time which around 12 dollars. I was able to put Pro on both my laptops. You're actually able to install the Pro on three PCs if you have that many.

I'll be mainly using my new laptop to get on the internet, but I feel my old laptop will be more safe with these tips that I found.

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I replaced my old laptop recently and guess I'm probably going to have to get a new desktop as well - need both for my work.

Windows 8 is awful. Mr. Japanfan, my tech support, found and bought a programs for digressing it - not much, under $10. I think.

But it's still a huge hassle. And now you have to pay quite a bit for Microsoft Office. It was at least $100 over the cost of the computer itself.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Both Chrome and Firefox are far superior browsers in any case.

21. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

So another dumb question .... I have a bunch of fun pinball games where the icon is loaded directly on my desktop (I just click the game I want right on my desktop to play it). My dad loaded them on there when I got the computer (which is like 10+ years old!). How do I get those games, and other things on my current desktop, onto my new computer? I have no clue where my dad got them from.

22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

If they are that old, it's likely they need XP to run. If you take the old machine off your network and disable wireless, you should be fine to keep it until you tire of the games.

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Chrome always gives my PC the "Blue Screen of Death". Had to stop using it.

24. Artemis@BC

That's an awesome bit of research, Simone -- thanks so much for sharing!

25. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks for bringing that up! I found out through the research that Chrome was very safe to use, too. I'm already finding out how superior Mozilla FireFox really is compared to IN browsers. I may decide to download it for my Windows 7 laptop, too!

I decided to keep the internet with my Windows XP laptop because I still receive updates for some of my software, and I also have Microsoft OneNote 2010 on my Windows XP laptop. There is also software I use that has no updated drivers for later operating systems like Windows 8. That's another reason I did the research on security measures for Windows XP.

26. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Rex, I didn't see your post about the "Blue Screen of Death" with Chrome until now. I think I'll just stick with the FireFox then. :)

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I had to remove it - it did work faster than MS IE, but I'd be in the middle of surfing the web and that blue screen would show up out of nowhere. It got to the point where it was happening once a week at least.

28. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I plan on switching to a limited account pretty soon, which means that changes can't be made to your computer. I'm also surfing with Opera and keeping all my software updated, courtesy of Avast. I don't plan to buy right away. I think if you make some basic changes, you are fine. I have have WinPatrol, which has a free version and which alerts you when a program tries to make changes to your computer.

I may think about Windows 9, if it turns out to be better than what I've heard re Windows 8.

29. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

At the cafeteria entrance at my work site. They recently posted a "retirement notice" for windows xp. It was actually very funny! I have been on Windows 7 since August at work, and it's mostly fine. IE8 is sometimes slow with our SharePoint stuff, through, and Chrome works much better (though of course not with XP). Some folks are getting new computers with Win8, but not me, fortunately.... (At home, I still have my Macs, thank goodness.)

30. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

How do I make Firefox the default browser?