Windows Phone apps?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I just won a new Windows phone, yay! Finally moving into the 21st century with my cell phone technology.

I know these phones are a distant third in popularity, but they do still have a lot of apps available, most of which are the same as or similar to Android or iPhone apps. So ... any great ones you'd like to recommend?

For sure I'll be installing:
    ~ a Sudoku
    ~ some kind of match-3 game
    ~ an ereader (Kobo doesn't have an app for Windows phones, but there are offbrand freebies that will read Epub format)
    ~ CBC radio
    ~ some kind of gps/navigator if there isn't one already on the phone (tho I think there is)

TIA.

2. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Congrats!

games:
    There is a free Soduko game which is Xbox LIVE enabled (meaning achievments) - it is just called Sodoku, I think. It is pretty nice I think, but I am no Sodoku expert.
    for match 3 games, there is the cute, but simple Flowerz that is a free xbox live game (free is good)
    Puzzle Quest 2 is a matching/roleplaying game, I have played lots and lots!
    Hexic is a different type of match game, interesting
    I enjoy Wordament a lot, even if I suck.
    A friend of my husband made the game called Akiak, it is a iceskating/jumping penguin and uses tilt, very cute
    A friend of mine made the match game TetAttack, it is pretty good.
    if you load the xbox live app, you can see spotlight/deal of the week etc for games.

if you are missing xbox live friends, PM me and and I will send you my gamer tag :).

In general the Xbox LIVE branded games are higher quality, and they all have free trials too - yay!
    there are a lot of good non-branded games though, I enjoy triplets (like the card game), though too much makes my brain hurt

I only use Kindle, which works great on Win Phone

The Bing maps and navigation works great, it is already there.

I use One Note (in the office app) for the phone a lot, I can sync with my SkyDrive one note and view my notes on PC/iPad too. My husband and I use a shared one Note to write down what we need to shop for.

enjoy!

3. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Congrats! :) I don't have any Windows Phone experience, but this site might be good for info:
    www.wpcentral.com

4. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

If you are trying to read books from your Kobo library, then I don't think any of the apps will work. I can read Kobo books on my Nook and my laptop through my Kobo library, but I can't read the Kobo books on my phone because my Nook app and Kindle app access what is in my online libraries and not what is on my computer.

Does that make sense?

I don't have a Kindle, but I have a Kindle app on my phone and use it to read library books and freebies, of which there are many. I don't spend a lot of time reading on my phone, though, so it's not something I've pursued much.

Anyway, congrats on the Windows phone. My son has one and loves it, as do a lot of the techie types I know.

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

It makes sense ... but for my setup I don't think it will be an issue. I use Calibre rather than Kobo's own software, which among other things allows me to share books among multiple devices (currently my Mini and 2 Kobos, one of which I just gave away).

Thanks all for the app suggestions. Looking forward to playing with my new toy!