Windows 7 Crashes - Any Fixes?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Dragonlady, May 4, 2010.

1. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I have a brand new computer with all of the bells and whistles, including Windows 7 Pro operating system. The problem is that the system randomly crashes.

First the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then a blue "dump" screen comes on saying the system is collecting information for the dump file, and then it reboots.

I did a Google search and found this problem is not unique to my computer and all kinds of people are reporting the same problem I'm having. Does anyone here know of a simple, reliable fix for this issue?

I told my new boss this is the best place ever for computer assistance, so I'm counting on the amazing posters at FSU.

2. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Well, they may be having their own computer issues today ;) Have you called the manufacturer's tech support? (FWIW, I have Windows' Vista which crashed about eight hours ago, but it came back quickly, on its own.)

3. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

When I upgraded my computer from XP to vista -it had a similar issue and I found out I had drivers that weren't compatible so I had to erase my whole hard drive and reinstall Vista. I know your computer is new but did you install old software perhaps? Did you recently install anything new? It could be a hardware issue as well. I had a bad HD once and it kept doing something similar as well.

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

ummm.... get a mac? ;)

5. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  6. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Windows 7 is amazingly stable : update your drivers and you'll be just fine.
    It's a bit surprising if it's a new computer : it means the reseller didn't do his job !

7. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

That's strange that a brand new computer would have those issues. If you get a computer with a particular operating system, it should already be optimized for it. I upgraded my OP myself, from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit and didn't have any major problems. I hope updating the drivers will help. Windows 7 is a very stable OP.

Seriously, for some people Apple is like religion. I remember when I was buying my computer and asked very specific questions about a few of its components, I got at least one "Buy a Mac" too. I did state that I had already decided on that particular company and model, to no avail. Some of you are like Jehovah's Witnesses who will show up at the door unannounced ready to spread the word no one asked you about.

*Jen*, Really, BelleBway and 3 others like this.
  8. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

:respec: I'd rep ya if I could.

I hope you figure out what the problem is. Windows 7 has been working like a dream for me. When my dad upgraded my computer, he wiped my whole hard drive clean. Said there would be issues and conflicts with any remnants of previous operating systems otherwise.

9. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Well ever since I switched to Mac my life became much more easier. No bugs no crashes.
    That being said - I think you should contact the reseller - because a brand new computer with Windows 7 should not be crashing. Windows 7 is much more stable than Vista and is a huge improvement from any other OS by Microsoft.

The cheapest switch is to Linux. I wonder why people are not more prone to Linux.

10. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

WIN7 is fantastic. It's been running non stop on my computer, 24h a day, for the past 6 months without a SINGLE crash !!
    And it's not even a brand new computer, I just had to change some parts !

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

One thing I just thought of... if it's brand new, it may still have all the crapware on it. Get PC DeCrapifier or something similar and remove all the stuff that you won't use, ESPECIALLY extra security software. Of course, the system has to stay booted for a while, but booting in safe mode should allow you to get the junk off.

12. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

The computer is brand new but our IT guy already removed all of the crapware from it. It has been professionally configured and is completely devoid of junk programs.

Getting a different computer is not an option so saying "get a Mac" is of no value. I guess I should have made it clear that this is an office computer, not my personal computer.

My boss thinks that our IT guy is turning this problem into an annuity for his children and when he sent us an email suggesting another afternoon in our office to fix it, at $75+ per hour, my boss balked at spending still more money on the issue. I hasten to add that our IT guy has been here numerous times already trying to sort it out and still the problem persists.

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Might be hardware, then. Since it's still under warranty, see if you can send it back for a replacement.

14. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

You did notice the wink next to the suggestion, right?

I wasn't seriously suggesting that she dump her brand new computer for a Mac. (Though it would certainly solve this specific problem. :) )

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I can fix this. Get a Mac! :lol:

16. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Macs still crash or else there wouldn't be any sites like this! :D

17. pp55

pp55 Member

First, you need to know what causes the crashes.

Here are a few tips.
    - Go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    - Go to Start and type in "perfmon /rel" (without the quotes) and press Enter

In Vista there was another command/program: "wercon" (not included in Win7).
    In Win7 you can also do this:
    - Open Action Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, and then, under System and Security, clicking Review your computer's status.

These reports may show you which program(s) or device(s) caused the crashes. However, if there is hardware problem, you may not get proper reports.

18. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

It doesn't matter. It's still annoying, but most of all, it's completely off topic. And it gets old, very old. People ask specific questions about PCs and there's always someone telling them to get a Mac.

I looked up the thread I mentioned when I was buying a new computer, and got "Get a Mac" in it too. Does it look like I wasn't sure what to buy?

And Dragonlady has already bought her computer and it wasn't a Mac, so let's just assume she knew what she wanted.

ETA: It's her work computer, so maybe she didn't want it, but she can't change it, either.

19. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

It's been professional configured by an IT guy who gets $75 a hour to "fix" it when it doesn't work after his configuration. Can I get this job? :lol: Perhaps your boss should balk at this IT company?

Now do you use McAfee? Because if so it could be "attacking" the operating system. Make sure you have the most recent update. We had a problem with this recently. We aren't on 7 but..

(I have 7 at home and have never had a crash... sorry!)

20. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I installed 7 on my laptop and it's worked very well. I'm with the rest that say, look at your drivers, I'd guess that's where the problem is. As for your IT guy? I want his job. ;)

21. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I want the IT guy's job too! I put Win7Pro on my Asus mini (with an Atom processor) and it runs just fine with no crashes. I just got an HP Touchsmart with Win7Premium Home and it's been fine too. I'm guessing drivers or hardware issues.

Given that it's a work computer, and knowing what kind of profile crap is on our school computers, is there a chance the IT dudes set something up in the profile settings that conflicts with something else?

halffull and (deleted member) like this.