Will we see the exact same ladies podium in Sochi as in London (same order and all)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Mar 30, 2013.

?

Will we see the same order of podium for ladies at Olympics next year as Worlds this

Poll closed Jan 24, 2014.
  1. yes

31.0%
  2. no

69.0%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I actually cant remember the last time an Olympic podium in a singles event was exactly the same as the World podium of the year before. It has happened in pairs and dance both, but not singles recently. I believe the last time ever it was the same is 1968 for the ladies. So will we see for the first time in 46 years the exact same podium in exactly the same order of finish as the previous years Worlds. Looking at the ladies and where they are at now, it is hard to see any change in the top 3. It is hard to see Kim not winning, it is hard to see Asada overtaking Kostner, and it is hard to see Asada slipping off the podium, but then again given history it is tempting to think something different will happen, just no idea which yet.

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Kostner only beat Mao by a point so by could totally switch in order.

Bronze and 4th were separated by 7 points.

Kim Yuna was perfect But that's actually pretty rare! She has been beaten by ando and Mao.

3. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

It should be Yuna, Caro and Mao on the podium as they are clearly the best 3. Maybe not the same order depending on how Mao is skating

Unless Carolina has another one of her signature Olympic meltdowns! :lol:

4. zerom10

zerom10 New Member

One of the Russian will be fighting for gold with Carolina. Mao and Kim for silver. imho

5. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I think someone will pull an upset for a bronze and one of those 3 will be out.

6. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I donĀ“t believe that a Russian skater will be fighting for gold, at least not Tuk or Sot, since they have never stood on the Worlds podium.

7. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

No, ice is too slippery. I don't think we've ever seen a World podium repeat, or a World podium turn into the same Olympic podium.

If it happens, ladies will have become much like the old days of ice dance (ie PCS = reputation judging). But I doubt Carolina, Mao and Yuna will all be able to deliver...one of Kanako, Ashley, Liza, Adelina, Gracie or Katelyn (or someone else?) will get an Olympic medal.

8. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

No, Krusty YummyCoochie, Nancy Kwan, and Ludmila Skatelikehellova are all making comebacks, so everyone else will have to wait until 2018. :drama::EVILLE:

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Kostner will win gold, with Kim in second and Wagner bronze.

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think Yu-Na's definitely going to be in the top spot, but I'm not sure about silver and bronze. It might be Mao and Carolina switched around, or someone else instead of Carolina. She doesn't have a history of skating well at the Olympics.

11. Proustable

Proustable New Member

True, but doesn't it feel like it's more likely for Carolina to win a medal now than in 2006 or 2010. In 2010, she was coming off her worst Worlds ever and had a poor season where she had exactly one international medal (she had a bronze in 2005 Worlds, but again, the Olympic season she had one medal as well). Since Worlds 2010, she's earned medals at every single event she's competed in. Not too shabby for someone marked as a headcase.

12. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I'm not sure if Kostner or Asada are definite locks for the podium. Each have their own issues that can prevent them from getting a medal. I can see a surprise medalist like Denis Ten this year. A U.S. or Russian lady can skate lights out and knock one or both Asada and Kostner off the podium.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  13. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

She was perfect in her most important events (Worlds 2009 SP, Olympics SP+LP, and World 2013 SP+LP). The rest of her competitions she's won either the short or the long or both, and has never been off the podium. She's the safest bet for gold even if she's not perfect at Sochi. However, she's also the safest bet to go clean compared to Carolina or Mao. Clean performances may be rare for Yuna, but they're even rarer for her rivals, who have had numerous meltdowns in the past.

And Ando is no factor; she's not coming back and even if she did, she's not beating Yuna or Mao. :rolleyes:

14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Well, she'll likely be on the podium. It's just not a total given.

15. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

If all goes cleanly then yeah it should be the same podium. The 3 girls ( yuna,caro,mao ) are all clearly the better skaters

16. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

Q: This was your first major competition in 20 months and yet won with a big lead. What do you think the gap will be in Sochi?

▶Kim: There are a lot of different sized events and the judges tend to be different each time so it’s hard to tell. I’m not going to be the only skater who will work hard for the Olympics. Everyone will be training hard so the results will depend on the physical and mental condition of the skaters on the actual day of the competition. So I cannot say for sure that I will be in first place. I may end up behind other skaters. I don’t think it’s possible to predict what the scores will be like in detail.

http://yunakimfan.com/2013/03/21/30431/#more-30431

17. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Similar thought.

Mao with 1 pop & some URs (& harder jump layouts) lost to Caro with 1 pop & 2 falls.
    Maybe this could be a little shock to Mao.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  18. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I hope it will be the exact same podium !
    Or Carolina in 1st and Yu Na Kim 2nd !

19. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Or Mao in first!

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Olympics often bring in a surprise or two (except may be in ice dance), because of the incredible pressure, so I don't expect to see the same podium, or the same order in the ladies event, although I am 90% certain that Yu na will win the gold, and 99.999% certain that she will get one of the podium spots.

Looking back at some of the past Olympics, the surprises were:

2006- Arakawa winning OGM ahead of Sasha and Irina (the latter being a huge favorite)
    2002-Sarah winning OGM ahead of Michelle and Irina
    1998-Chen Lu winning a medal, and Michelle not winning the OGM
    1988- Liz Manley winning a silver, and Debbie winning only a bronze

The only question is- who will surprise us in 2014 and how?

21. miki88

miki88 New Member

We don't know yet, that is what makes it exciting! :)

22. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Maybe after two straight 6th place finishes, Mao was just happy to be back on the podium. Even though she had a season full of wins, Worlds had been her hiccup as of late, so I hope she sees medaling was a reward in itself considering her technical problems.

23. lily

lily Active Member

It's quite obvious that the same ladies podium in Sochi. Not sure if in the same order but one thing is absolutely sure - no one can beat Yu-Na and her second olympic gold is as well as guaranteed. Silver and bronze or one of those medals can or cannot go to Carolina or Mao.
    Many Sochi golds are already more or less obvious - Volosozhar-Trankov's gold and probably Davis&White gold.

24. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

No, with the big PCS difference separating Carolina and Mao and the rest of the field... 60 on PCS is the new 50, while 70 is the new 60. They have around a 10 point advantage on PCS, so the Russian ladies or the US ladies will have to skate lights out and hope Carolina and Mao make major mistakes. Ashley might be able to creep in though, considering she might decrease her PCS gap between Mao and Carolina.

25. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Ashley needs to up her TES though. She wont medal in Sochi even with others mistakes unless she ups her TES. She is a tough little fighter so I have faith she can, and will be working hard this off season on improving. She ups her technical content I almost guarantee she will see a further PCS as a result too.

The only one I can see being bumped right off the podium entirely of these 3 is Asada. I cant see Kim not winning a medal of some color, even in the IMO very unlikely event she doesnt win the gold (and only Kostner or Asada can win the actual gold colored medal besides Kim IMO). Kostner there might be a very small chance she doesnt medal, given her history of inconsistencies and some meltdowns and her Olympic record it would be wrong to say she is a complete lock. However I think the odds of her being on the podium are extremely high, 80% or more. She seems to be a much more mature skater, rarely lets her mistakes pile up too high anymore, is attempting top difficulty again, and she really is loved by the judges and lavished with very high (mostly deservedly) GOE and PCS. The consistency that has evaded her most of her career has been there since Vancouver.

Asada is the one most vurnerable to making more mistakes, she is attempting a jump layout that is almost impossible for her to skate cleanly so it isnt a question of if there will be mistakes but how many of them, she is prone to losing points by UR calls even for seemingly clean jumps which the other two are not, and she doesnt get the GOE or PCS cushion that the other two get. Asada can be had by someone from the pack IMO, it is just a question of someone skating well enough and how on Mao happens to be on the day. It really depends alot on the SP for her too, if she has a SP like 4CCs she could well be in the lead after the short, and not only have a fighting shot at gold but almost be ensured of atleast a bronze. However if she doesnt totally nail the SP she is somewhat vurnerable I think.

26. amaro

amaro Active Member

Kostner's LP performance was impressive and her mental toughness is really improving. I see that Kostner can be the one who can get close to Kim in terms of some of the component marks.

To have any shot at a spot on the podium, Asada really needs to spend time and resources to get presentable Oly programs. Her 2010 programs were pure disasters. In fact, her program choices since 2008 have been really weak with minimal impact. Perhaps it's her decaying skating skills. It may be too late for her to lose her clunky 3A and catch up with 3-3 because newcomers such as Murakami are improving fast. Look forward to seeing Murakami's new programs and how well she would fare against Asada...

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

only Yuna is a podium lock

28. miki88

miki88 New Member

:rolleyes: She had the second highest score this season, so she definitely has a chance at the podium. And her "Swan Lake" was well-received by fans as well as commentators. This is more of your own wish than reality.

29. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

Jenna McCorkell and Sonia Lafuente both podium finish! :cheer2:

30. kwanlysacek

kwanlysacek Member

I hope Yu Na Kim doesnt win. I am hating the recent talk she might be considered best ever if she wins and she doesnt deserve that so please anyone but overrated Kim.