Will We Ever Going To See a Quad Axel??

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jettasian, Nov 14, 2012.

1. jettasian

jettasian New Member

Quads were a few and a dime 5-10 yrs ago. Now, almost every male skater has it (even many of them still can't skate). Quad Toe is the obvious choice. And we are starting to see Quad Salchow and Quad Flip, even Quad Lutz. I wonder if I will ever get to see a Quad Axel in my life time. :lol:

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Takes too much effort for even a sp. 4 and a half rotations! Brezina has a huge 3a but like trying it may be too dangerous or it would just be << probably. Can someone be so powerful as to use a forward takeoff to do 4 1/2 times and land? Landing would need a strong blade and boot.

3. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I would think that if it is physiologically possible, we'll see it. But I don't know whether it's possible.

4. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

this guy landed forward on an attempt :p
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG_uc4O3DVE

it would need to be someone who gets crazy snap into their rotation... and nobody except for Konstantin Menshov is really coming to mind. but he's done 4+4 combos and stuff.

5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Long ago a triple axel was considered impossible because it has 3 and a half revolutions in the air. May be some day someone will land a quad axel. First I would like to see a quad flip, however.

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

We never know the future ..... Figure skating is first and foremost a sport, and if athletes are allowed to push the boundary and be rewarded for taking risks, then we may see quad axels in competitions.

8. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I seem to recall there was an article that said human is capable of doing quints.

9. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Ilia Kulik landed one off the ice, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it on the ice.

I remember watching Gachinski's SP at Euros last year and thinking, "Holy CRAP, that was so high, he had time for one more!". But I think whoever does try it is gonna need a triple Axel that's massively rock-solid, and tbh I don't know if there's anyone young enough with one solid enough to try.

10. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I have a vague memory of Yagudin saying he tried a few attempts in practice, but didn't get around on them (before the hip injury, of course).

11. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere that both Yagudin and Pluschenko attempted a few in practice.

I also remember reading that Viacheslav Zagarodniuk had played around with quad axels in a harness, and attempted some without.

12. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

I think in order to see 4A you would need to see skaters start to land 4T at a younger age then it is currently - Gachinsky landed a 3A at twelve - so if skaters could master the other quads by their late teens - the way they do with triples today - then you could see someone trying to add a 4A to their repertorie.

13. unicorn

unicorn Member

Plushenko said he never tried a 4A in one of his interviews. Some rumors spreaded by his fans said he did.

14. Eyre

Eyre New Member

I'm sure we will. The question is when?

15. antmanb

If you watch the clip up thread that someone posted to the small medal ceremony at Europeans 2012, Pluschenko seemed to suggest the person attempting them that he was referring to was himself....or i missed the joke that caused the laughter, but he then says "it's true" afterwards.

16. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

On the one hand, raising the technical bar is exciting for the sport.

But on the other, jump injuries can take out a skater like that. You only have to look at skaters from the 1970s and 1980s and that they had pro careers reaching 10 or 15 years. Dorothy Hamill is still skating and she retired from the amateur ranks in 1976.

The flip side is that Tara Lipinski barely skated two years before she had to give up touring entirely.

17. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Maybe it's a silly question, but isn't there a higher risk of injury to the body due to the higher strain - not just to land it but to train for it on a daily basis? Especially if that means you are going to start training all the other quads at a younger age? or does the number of rotations change little, i.e. training for a triple salco has about the same impact on the body as training a quad salco?

EDIT

Sorry, your post wasn't there when I started writing mine ;)

18. lala

lala Well-Known Member

No, Plush said in an interview he never tried quintuple

19. Eyre

Eyre New Member

never mind.

20. unicorn

unicorn Member

Can you post what exactly he said? That does not really matter, I am just curious.

21. antmanb

I don't know if you are asking me or lala, but the link lala put to the Europeans small medal ceremony is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-6WJ6O0wB8

A rough transcript of the section in question (from around 9min40) is:

Question: Is it possible to do a quad Axel?

Evgeni Pluschenko: Yes, in the future, yes, for sure. I know one guy, uh, who almost made it, the quad axel. So in the future yes.

Q: Have you tried it?

EP: [nods] I tried it.

[audience laughs]

EP: [shrugs his shoulders, smiles] It's true.

22. unicorn

unicorn Member

That's very vague. Besides it's very different between try and serious practice. I remember in one of his interviews, when asked who could possibly do a 4a, he mentioned a young Russian skater, Artur Dmitriev I think.

23. unicorn

unicorn Member

So far, obviously it's very clear he practiced 4S and 4lz, but not 4F and 4A

24. lala

lala Well-Known Member

25. unicorn

unicorn Member

26. Eyre

Eyre New Member

But what you were arguing was he never tried:

27. unicorn

unicorn Member

That's my mistake, :p obviously here I mean serious try. I know it's confusing

28. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Plushenko thinks the quintuple is impossible. :), but the 4A is possible

29. unicorn

unicorn Member

That's his opinion, interesting. But some people think a 4A is more impossible than a quintuplet T. It would be interesting to see how the jumps go after 10 years.

30. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

All I know from Yagudin's interviews is that he attempted the 4A just once in practice and that he chose to give up on further attempts because he almost broke his neck on the landing. And I also recall Plushenko a couple years ago saying he never tried the 4A but felt it was such a hard jump that whoever would be able to stay on one foot on the landing would probably need like 20 seconds to pull themselves back together afterwards before ever continuing with the program.