1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Oda continue

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by KimGOAT, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

He is way too talented a skater to retire without a World medal. I hope this isnt it for him.

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I can definitely see why he wouldn't as he can be viewed as totally being screwed over this year! But I think it all depends what is going on personally and how that situation is all working out and if that situation can continue on for another 4 years. It's already gone on 4 years though!

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Liza, Julia, Elena, Evgenia, Russian pairs

I think if he continues past this season, a time will come when everything will fall into place for him. He has the talent and he works hard. He needs more success at the GPs next season, and needs to medal at his nationals. He has the talent to accomplish that.

4. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

He will probably retire because (1) he is married with kids (2) he is not young by figure skating standards. Will see.

5. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

He has said he would retire, so I doubt he will continue. Very sad, he might have medalled at Olympics and/or Worlds this year. Besides Hanyu, he was the only Japanese man who skated consistently decent programs this season. It's over.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Actually i would say say Machida has been by far the most consistent Japanese man this season. He only had one bad or even mediocre program (short program at the GPF). His skating really doesnt do it for me, but you cant deny him that. Oda would be the 2nd most consistent, but Hanyu has found lights out form for several performances in a row now, after a very slow start to his year.

7. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I think Machida's a loose cannon. Yes, he's had some good results, but that bad SP at GPF was really bad (26 points cannot be considered even mediocre). I feel like his jump technique is iffy (scratchy and wonky landings), but that he's done a good job of "willing" some very decent skates this season (which is certainly commendable). I can't deny that he's earned his ticket to the Olys, but not because he's one of the best three Japanese skaters (IMO).

I'd definitely say Oda was more consistent, in terms of overall skating quality.

8. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I hope Nobu & Taka get to compete @ 4CC, and if there are any retirements/withdrawals from Worlds.

9. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Oda announced his retirement, including his decision to not compete at 4CC. With typical grace he has apparently included the comment that he hopes that a younger skater can benefit from the opportunity to compete at 4CC.

10. inskate

inskate Active Member

Nobunari just announced his immediate retirement. :fragile:

He's not going to 4CC. The Nationals were his last competition. :wuzrobbed

I'm too upset to comment. :(

Takahito Mura will replace him at 4CC.

11. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Wasted. Talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.