Will Kwan be named to the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame this year?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by barbk, Aug 7, 2011.

1. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I don't think this is likely, and personally I don't think someone like Michelle would mind sharing the spotlight.

2. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

I agree with this and second Sparks' prediction that Kwan and Galindo will be inducted next year in San Jose.

3. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Tara was inducted alone. Was Sarah?

I was actually thinking of the other folks who might be inducted with her. Certainly, MK would not mind sharing the spotlight.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  4. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  5. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, skatesindreams! :p

I'm voting Kwan for President of the World next election! :D

6. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Because everyone else was still scared of her dolphin scream. :p

Nope.

7. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Ummm, the dolphins called and said they resent the compairson. :p

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: Kween doesn't have to be declared ... she just IS

by the strength of her character, the magic of her presence, amazing accomplishments, work ethic, dedication, courage, grace ...

MK already has so many honors and awards, not because of the specific colors or quantities of her medals, or lack of one specific medal, but simply because of who she is as a person and what she has wrought ... dreaming and working hard, getting back up after falling down, lifting us up, inspiring us to hope, believe, dream...

Probably one of Kwan's lesser known honors... she's one of the Godmothers of the Oasis of the Seas (Royal Caribbean cruise line ship).

Thanks to those who pointed out Todd Eldredge's numerous accomplishments in figure skating. He's a great person too, a true gentleman.

9. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Michelle has a keepership - for a ship? ;)

10. query5

query5 New Member

it was an oversite for dorothy--
    i think the usfsa wants to delay michelles for (1) the more they delay her getting in the more people would forget her so hopefully they don't put in her due the fact . of her not winning ogm, her staying in when they didn't want her in. they hinted at her getting out in 1998.
    2) the boards are stating she didn't do triple/triples when she did. also usfa would prefer to keep other skaters like b/a, evan, sasha ahead of her due to them supposedly doing so much more.
    3) she didn't turn pro to help pro skating when they wanted
    4) also code words for hating chineses like at worlds when slap in face to japan by holding in china-please how could holding it another country like china and twawain been a slap in the face. unless they meant political. which means okay to cheat, underhanded, against chinese skaters, chinese americans.
    5) people ripping zhang despite the fact they didn't cheat for her-overlook her marks.
    6) skaters /certain fanbases tired of michelles name in everything-want her kept out this way -longer kept out. longer stayed out.
    like dorothy had to wait till 1991-but they kept her in mind. michelle they will want to keep out.
    7) how by nitpicking stating she has to do this/that-despite rules saying different.
    if it was sarah, tara they would have put her in 2010.
    8) they don't think michelle did enought for them (usfsa) but caused trouble when in fact they did.
    9) the so called Michelle Kwan trophy-if the wanted her -they would drop the Readers Digest trophy and put her name on it alone. I mean they changed recently a name of a trophy and put that person on it. so far 2004-it been know as Skating Readers Award or whatever not MIchelle kwan trophy-it is an afterthought.
    the only reason they put michelle name on the trophy was because they didn't want her to win it anymore. not because they thought she deserved a name on the trophy just didn't want her to win. they had other skaters they wanted to rigg the name on the trophy.

all of the above is my opinion -i don't know if it is true/will happen, but i suspect the longer she is out the more they can keep her out.
    like stating has to retire-but last skate
    like stating in 2011-no skater was eligible when in fact michelle was.-which states something right there about them wanting her in. so michelle is overdue-

11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but you need to stop perpetuating these racist myths. As an Asian-American, I think what your post can be seen as a mockery towards actual discrimination, and you are not doing yourself or any of your perceived victims any favors by spouting suppositions and assumptions without any solid evidence to back your claims up. They look desperate. They especially don't work when you try to apply them to Michelle Kwan who has no shortage of accolades and praise from the USFS.

12. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

No matter how much you try, your attempts to paint the USFS with a racist brush not only fail, they paint YOU as the person with issues about race, not the other way around.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  13. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Some people are not hoping she becomes a member of the Hall. They want her to have her OWN hall.:D

14. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Seriously.

LOL.. WUT!? Go read a book or something.

15. query5

query5 New Member

i am sorry vietgirl--they arent racist myths

when in fact before worlds it came out in paper the isu -cinquantta did say that.
    it does imply racism--i am sorry but when they stated in those "Coded words" . it implies racism, discrimnation. even at this day and age.
    regarding michelle-yes, when they don't drop the skating magazine readers choice award , and just leave her name on it.
    they have done/said things anti michelle-you may be young/or what not however it has been implied , "coded words" in the past, they can't take them out of newspapers, media or internet. they are there to see, unless media takes it down.
    racism still exist in this day and age, suttle, implied, underhanded , "coded" or not.
    it is whether or not people pay attention to the words, language used, etc.
    people need to be aware it still exist until --it doesn't.
    you may not think it exist or there isn't any, but there is in this sport as well as the other olympic sports but what athletes, head honchos say well meaning / or not thinking ; just joking or not. once out there it stays in one form or another and other people think it is okay to still do it/say it. when it isn't.
    sorry but it exist.

16. query5

query5 New Member

nothing related regarding racism -discrimnation

but why did gmnast /peter vidmar have to step down from being something important and the usoc have to rename someone.

i believe it was a comment/ something to do with Gays.

17. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

You are taking a Hall of Fame induction and a Reader's Choice trophy WAY too seriously.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

I'm not denying that racism exists in the U.S. I also understand the concept of institutional racism and coded language. If you read any of my past posts on this board, you can find my opinions of issues related to discrimination.

However, you don't provide any concrete evidence to support any of your claims. You take examples that don't necessarily show what you say, but twist it around in order to give meat to your arguments. Like, the MSNBC headline that stated "American Beats Kwan" which they received flack for and apologized for. However, that has nothing to do with the USFS. Another thing, you said that Cinquanta said he wanted Kwan to retire after Nagano, but I have found no examples of that on google. Plus, even if it was true, it has nothing to do with the way the USFS felt about Kwan after Nagano.

You keep mentioning "code words" and subtle language, but if you're going to make those claims, you should back them up with actual examples otherwise, don't be surprised if people find your claims to be ridiculous. And if you do, I want to see something from the USFS that uses the language you keep mentioning.

Also, again, using Michelle Kwan to show off racism by the USFS is quite a difficult feat considering all the promotion Kwan has had by them and accolades they have given her.

19. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

"We want you gone, Michelle, but here are a few more national titles."

20. VIETgrlTerifa

Yes, here are some 6.0s on the way! Oh yeah, and let us name you on the 2006 Olympic team despite having a whole season of not competing because we want to get rid of you. (BTW, I agreed with their decision).

21. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Y'all are casting your pearls before swine! :lol:

22. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan was one of the best things that ever happened to U.S. Figure Skating, and they sure as hell knew it.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Why even bother to acknowledge such nonsense. Just another unhappy button pusher getting their kicks playing the bigotry and race cards. :kickass: Screw em!

24. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

I've previous made my thoughts clear on referring to U.S. Figure Skating as a discrete entity. That being said:

U.S. Figure Skating worships the ground Michelle Kwans walks on.

The association will never deliberately slight her. However, she has not maintained much of an ongoing relationship with the association; much more than Sarah or Tara, Michelle has moved on to a new phase of her life. Some skaters crave recognition from U.S. Figure Skating because it brings their past accomplishments - which form the core of their identity - back into the spotlight. Michelle does not seem to crave recognition of past accomplishments; she runs from spotlights.

25. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Self-praise is no recommendation.

26. Cheylana

Isn't it possible that Michelle still has some endorsement contracts that require her to maintain her eligible status, even if she has no intention of returning to competitive skating? That would preclude her induction into the HOF at this time.

27. VIETgrlTerifa

I thought it was stated that a skater's status does not matter. What matters is the amount of time has passed since one's last eligible competition and when they get inducted into the HoF.

28. Cheylana

But it gives an impression to the general public that one has retired. Michelle's sponsors may not want her inducted into the HOF just yet. 1000% speculation on my part.

29. VIETgrlTerifa

I'm not sure why it matters. It's not as if Kwan has been active in the skating scene in 5 years. Doing a few shows for Yu Na does not give anyone the impression that she's training for Sochi.

30. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

You posted this in response to my last post; I don't understand what you mean. I certainly wasn't praising myself; to me, it's pretty clear that I wasn't even talking about myself.