Will Kwan be named to the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame this year?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by barbk, Aug 7, 2011.

1. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Todd Eldredge is already there -- inducted in 2008. I think San Jose Nationals would be especially meaningful for Rudy if he were selected -- but also for Michelle. If they accept nominations from the general public, then those who want to do so, should send them in. Of course, I have no idea when they vote or when the deadline for submitting nominations is. Their site is confusing for me to find information. :shuffle:

2. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Rudy would have a great shot, having been a both Pairs and Singles National Champion.

I think Kwan is planning on retiring after Sochi ;)

3. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Is being a national champion (plus a World bronze medalist) enough merit for being selected to HoF??? In my opinion already Eldredge was a rather strange selection.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  4. emason

emason Well-Known Member

He was US Novice, Junior and Senior Champion plus World Junior and Senior Champion, plus Skate America Champion, etc., etc. Not so strange to be selected I think.

5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Not even close to strange. For the US Hall of Fame, he's a six time national senior champion -- I'm not sure if any other guy has gotten close to that since the end of figures, and he competed successfully both before and after figures were eliminated, which not all that many folks managed to do. His spins were among the best of his era, and he continued to put great intensity into them even when it seemed that judges didn't much care about form or speed of spins. He first competed as a senior in 87-88 (Brian Boitano's era) and was US Champion and still competing at high levels in 2002, which is a tremendous career by anyone's standards.

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks! I don't think it's a strange choice, either!

7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Inducting Eldredge (a six-time National champion) makes at least as much sense as inducting someone who is a zero-time National Champion but got lucky at the Olympics one night. :slinkaway

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
    Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

But no medal at all from the Olympics, although he had a gold and other medals from Worlds.

9. skatingfan5

:confused: Why should that make Todd's selection to the United States Skating HoF questionable? As others have posted, he won senior U.S. nationals six times (and was on the World podium several times, including the top step once). I guess if there were a Canadian Skating HoF (I don't know, perhaps there is), then by your criteria Kurt Browning would be deemed a dubious choice as well, since he, too, has not a single Olympic medal. :rolleyes:

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Kurt Browning. Janet Lynn. Toller Cranston. I think they're all in the Hall of Fame, despite none of them having an Olympic medal. There really are other competitions that count. :rolleyes:

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  11. skatingfan5

BTW, I managed to find last year's World Skating Hall of Fame nominating packet -- the deadline for submitting nominations was December 17, 2010 for the 2011 inductees. I would imagine that the deadline for 2012 would be similar -- i.e. sometime in December.

Here is the criteria listed:

Nominees may be emeritus, deceased or actively working but may not have competed in the last five years. [empahsis mine]
    For pair or dance teams; both partners must be nominated.
    A: Outstanding Competitors – National, World or Olympic achievements
    Special contributions in style and technique
    Retired from eligible skating for at least five years

12. skatingfan5

Janet and Toller each have an Olympic bronze medal. But, yes, there are other competitions that have some weight besides the Olympics.

13. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:respec:

14. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Being a National Champion in two disciplines is exceptionally difficult.

... {{holding my tongue on Todd Eldredge}}

15. query5

query5 New Member

i know sarah is listed as retired on wikiepedia on 2003,
    as far as i know. i didn't read where she announced it. they rightly so assumed she was retired after winning ogm, going to school, but how can they announced her retirement in 2003 when she
    1) competed at u.s nationals coming in 2nd

2) competed at worlds coming in 6th

she just walked away , not saying anything to press, fans.
    usually i keep up with that.-in other words, i keep an eye, read out in newspapers, internet etc. i didn't see anything at that time.

for me this a way (nitpicking) to keep michelle out. since she didn't (officially say the word (retirment) she isn't eligibile.--even though she hasn't competed in over 6 years. didn't compete after 2006.

that is one reason why i think she won't be listed, plus some other reasons that i won't say.

16. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I have ZERO doubt that Kwan will be named to the USFS HOF at some point. Her impact on U.S. figure skating is unquestionable. They named the friggin trophy after her. So why is it so important to some of you that it happen NOW? I don't see it as a diss that she's not nominated right now. What's the big deal?

17. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Maybe they will save Michelle for the OLY send-off yr, 2014. They seem to like to go with "Biggies", Tara in 06, Sarah in 10 in the impt yrs, so to speak.

18. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm the OP, and started the thread as a muse about the possibility of this being the year. I haven't seen anything that suggested that either USFSA intentionally dissed Kwan, or unintentionally "forgot" to name her to the HOF. Actually, I'd be very surprised if they haven't asked her already in a prior year. Last year was clearly all focused on the 1961 team, which made me wonder if THIS might finally be the year. I'd be happy to see her in, and San Jose would be a lovely place for it. I don't feel angst about the issue, and I'm not sure where you're reading that into other postings, either.

19. skatingfan5

I think perhaps what Boston fan alludes to might be from this:
    Although, I must say, this doesn't make much sense, since if Sarah never "officially announced her retirement" then it shouldn't be an issue for Michelle, either. :slinkaway

20. Cheylana

I have mixed feelings about that possibility, since they always trot out the American OGMs for a special ceremony during those Olympic-year National Championships. I would have thought it would be better to do it in 2012 and 2013, where MK can be the undisputed focal point.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  21. query5

query5 New Member

1) it is a diss if she isn't nominated her first year-why one all the good, great ones are and including the ogm. also if they wait they will nominate evan , sasha before she gets in.
    2) as far as the electors-i assume they already are the people/skaters/ already elected in the hall of fame, and these if i assume correctly are the same people, skaters that complained she made to much money, wanted her to quit, and what not
    3) by your reply also tells me the (electors) have already made up their mind as not put her in until they are ready which means never, for the same reason as 2). the complained about her, didn't want her to win (personally i think the only reason she didn't win the ogm is not only they wouldn't cheat for her overlook her little mistakes like other skaters is because figure skating went global and by that i mean -political-by that i mean chinese is more people around world and more people and nations don't like china due to human rights abuse while neglecting their own, ignoring their own in their own countries just pointing out china. so michelle wasn't an minority but a majority in world wide
    remember this is the us. which allowed todd, in help changed immgration to get others in olympic early, by lobbying for it, helped get a youngerster in by looking up old rules, helped another person win by pointing out other persons fault, let media, coach rip said skater and not others even though public wanted to stop.
    this isn't usfsa federations fault for me this is the electors faults, for me this where they satnd in said treatment of michelle whether like her skating or not. they don't nominate her they never liked her and wanted her there and or just jealous-of course my opinion but if they can hurry up and nominated other skaters on the sly where they forget , since they DIssed her all her skating career why not now for USfsa where it matters.
    what they don't realize if she isnt nominated it might piss off some public more.

22. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm really confused as to how the USFS has dissed Michelle Kwan in the past...like ever.

23. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

^^^ Some people need to chill. :rolleyes:
    It is my feeling that both Rudy and Michelle will be inducted in San Jose. I just makes since, doesn't it?

P.S. The :rolleyes: is for query.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Cheylana

Well, then they must really hate Dorothy Hamill - she didn't get in until 1991, fifteen years after she won OGM and retired. :eek:

Poor old Dorothy - what did she do to deserve this lowly state? :mad: :mad: :wuzrobbed::wuzrobbed
    ;)

25. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I hope that when MK is inducted, she is inducted ALONE.

26. os168

os168 Active Member

I wonder if Michelle is secretly aware or even enjoy of this same type of thread every year after year around HOF induction time, just to have a giggle or two :)

She might have very well deliberately withholding her 'retirement announcement' just to see how much people still miss her, love her and expect her return for the Sochi (Oh you love me, you really love me!)

:lol:

27. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^ This. :respec:

With all that she did for the USFSA and skating in general, she deserves a full induction ceremony to herself with all of the praise, gushing, fluff and fanfare solely about her. Only since she retired do people see how crucial she was in keeping the US ladies in the mix year after year after year...hell, they owe it to her to send her into the HOF in a major over-the-top kind of way. And I pray I'm free and can make the trip to witness it!:encore:

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Seconding the posts of kwanette and kwanatic!
    Whenever it occurs, I would like to be there.

29. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Who cares about some crumby hall of fame, when will the Kween be declared Empress of the Universe?

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Most of us aren't looking for that.
    We just want her contributions to be properly and appropriately acknowledged.