Will Kwan be named to the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame this year?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by barbk, Aug 7, 2011.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

This winter will mark seven years since Kwan last competed -- will this be the year that she officially retires and is inducted into the Hall of Fame? That would be a lovely recognition at Nationals, and the year before Olympic selections good from a timing perspective as well.

2. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

So if she is elected, would she be inducted at this coming year's Nats (2012) or the following year (2013)? I'll be in San Jose and would love to see her inducted then. I won't be in Omaha, though.

Is 7 years out a new requirement? I think Kristi Y was inducted in 1998, along with Brian B. Kristi had been out for 6 years and Brian only for 4, since he'd reinstated and competed in '94.

3. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

No. A skater must be retired 5 years before being inducted. But I don't recall if that's the national or international hall of fame.

4. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I hope that Michelle is inducted in 2012 ... it would be particularly appropriate to have the ceremony where she won her first Nat title. She has certainly earned her place.

5. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Whichever year it is, there is little chance of her not being chosen the first year.

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I'd love to see it happen at 2012 US Nationals! :D :)

7. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

So would I. Will bring a lot of tissues and throat lozenges if it does in preparation.:)

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Maybe someone should contact the USFS.

9. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I wonder if she steps foot on the ice if she will win the ladies competition. YAY 10th National Title!! :cheer:

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, she deserves it !

11. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Probably a silly question, but do you have to officially retire (i.e., file paperwork) in order to be inducted?

12. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Not a silly question at all. I would think the answer is yes. I guess that many of us are hoping that she has or will do just that so that we can go crazy in San Jose at the Induction Ceremony :p

13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think we have to find out since this may be the first "generation" where skaters don't officially retire anymore considering that the pro circuit is pretty much dead. Maybe official status doesn't matter as long as you haven't competed for the amount of time it takes to be eligible.

14. query5

query5 New Member

i hope so.

15. Athena

Athena New Member

only skaters retired for certain years (can't remember if it's 5 or 7) are eligible for being named to USFSHOF. did Kwan ever officially announce her retirement? if she didn't, then she can't be nominated.

16. attyfan

When did Sarah Hughes formally announce her retirement? I thought she did just what Michelle did ... do other things, and refrain from competing, but no formal announcement.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  17. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that there is no "official retirement announcement" required for HOF eligibility. It just has to be X number of years since they last competed, for a skater (not all HOF members were competitive skaters). Not sure if it is 5 or 6 years, but it's definitely less than 7.

18. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

^^If that is the case, then surely USFS will want to bestow this honor upon Michelle this year. :cheer::rockstar::cheer:

19. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Hmmm? in the Hall of Fame so soon? Who says? Word on the street is Kwan is planning to compete this upcoming season with her arsenal of triple triples and planning to win not only nationals, but her 6th world title :) :lol:

20. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I'm liking this a lot... ;)

21. query5

query5 New Member

they just named sarah because of ogm,
    not so sure the usfsa would want michelle nominated. can't we nominate her.

22. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

A lot of people are in the hall of fame because they are Olympic Gold Medalists...so not sure why you are singling out Sarah?

Why wouldn't the USFSA want her nominated?

23. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I have not noticed that there has been any official announcement about Kwan┬┤s retirement. The last I heard she wanted to keep her options open.

24. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Ok I seriously doubt it's because USFS doesn't want Kwan in the HOF. Kwan is one of the greatest skaters of all time even with no OGM. She has 9 USN titles and 5 world titles, whereas Hughes has ZERO of either. Very deserving of Hall of Fame. My guess is that Sarah was inducted sooner because she perhaps told USFS she was retired but didn't make a public statement? Sarah strikes me as the type for continually wanting recognition for that one moment (still doesn't have a job?) whereas Michelle has been constantly in school/working for the government/doing her own thing and making an official retirement notice just so she can get Hall of Fame probably isn't as important to her.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Athena

Athena New Member

Sarah officially retired in 2003. You can find the record from Wikipedia. Michelle never announces retirement, her name was even shown on USOC's website as Team USA 2010 Olympic hopefuls, and IIRC, she got sponsorship from AT&T in 2009-2010 for the same reason.

26. query5

query5 New Member

totally understandable athena
    i didn't make myself clear.
    i thought sarah was nominated earlier than normal. she competed 2003, and was nominated in 2009 . she was 2nd at nationals, 6th at worlds in 2003. so if you put in 5 years after last skate. sarah didn't officially retired more like walked away . she was nominated in 2009.-but got in 2010 if that is the case it only 5 years not 7,. i feel michelle should be in last year, if not this year.-no later than next year. but sorry i can't wait till 2013 for her to get in.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  27. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

It's 5 years. All of the 2011 inductees were from the 1961 team that was killed in the plane crash (50th anniversary/ release of Rise) so none of the younger skaters eligible for 2011 would have been included.

28. os168

os168 Active Member

For some reason I doubt Michelle is loosing sleep over this ;)

Are you kidding? Michelle is US figure skating.
    (for my generation at least).

29. attyfan

I agree that Michelle isn't losing any sleep over this. IMO, the USFS should either name her to the HoF or explain why she isn't eligible this year and what has to be done (i.e., whether the listing on the website means she won't be eligible until ___, or whether a formal announcement of her retirement is needed).

30. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Because last season they only selected those who died in the '61 crash, I think that they Kwan was overlooked. I think it makes sense for her to be inducted in San Jose. I think that Rudy Galindo should have a strong shot, too. Todd Eldredge? Michael Weiss? Ina/Zimmerman?