Will Evan Lysacek compete at Skate America?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Oct 4, 2011.

?

Will Evan compete or withdraw?

1. YES, and he'll dazzle us in a sparkly black costume!

26.9%
  2. NO, he will pull out and leave us all in a sequin void!

73.1%
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

What do y'all think?

2. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

I hope Carriere has blocked off that weekend for his last-minute call.

3. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I don't think he will :shuffle: I just wish that he wouldn't have gone through the trouble of being put on the GP, and given another skater the opportunity of being prepared for SA, instead of having to get ready at the last minute.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

My thoughts exactly. I hope he doesn't make up his mind to drop out two days before the competition starts.

5. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Is there a deadline by which Evan needs to withdraw?

6. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

It depends on how his left leg injury is healing. He was in a full leg brace a few weeks ago. I am sure that his potential replacement has been on stand by since Evan's injury.

7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

What happened to Evan? When did he get injured?

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

NO, he will pull out and leave us all in a sequin void! :lol:

9. yunasashafan

yunasashafan Member

More like a BLACK void :p

sorry.. couldn't resist :D

and no, I think he will pull out.

10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

He's gone 'wobbly' in his latest interview re his participation at SA and Nats. I'm sorry I don't have a link, but it was in another recent Evan thread. It was also mentioned that he was in a leg brace that I'm assuming was probably not too serious because there are no other follow-ups to that report.

I hope he either 1) participates and does well or 2) decides to hang up his competitive skates. There are a plethora of up and coming Men who can do without having spots taken and then relinquished at the last moment [I'm saying this as an Evan fan]

ETA - In the chance EL withdraws, could it be Razzano if he does well at Finlandia?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  11. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Evan's leg injury does not appear to be major; however, we do not know how much training time that he had to miss because of the injury. (If it was a major injury, he would have already WD from Skate America). Evan was wearing a full leg brace the week of September 12th. However, he was out of the leg brace when he made a speech at the USOC summit on September 23. The injury can explain Evan's comments to Hersh on 9/23 that he was not ready to commit to Skate America.

If the injury is fully healed, then I believe that Evan will compete at Skate America.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Exactly. No sequin void, as he eschews the decorative type of costuming. . . Hope he's healing up well, but I don't think he'll compete.

13. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

We likely won't know until the last minute; they will want to keep him on the roster as long as possible because he is a ticket-sales draw.

14. Patzeez

Patzeez New Member

Like so many of us I admire Evan and his skating and am so proud of his wonderful accomplishment of bringing the men's Oly championship back to the U.S. after so many years. However, I agree that he has had his day in the sun (which he well deserves) and it is time to make way for our up-and-coming American men.

15. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I do think we will see him back at some point, but not at Skate America.

16. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Agreed. Evan will be back, I'm sure of it. I just don't know if this is the time.

17. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I dont think his comeback was anything more than a publicity stunt anyway. It will never happen, so obviously no he wont compete at Skate America.

18. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Yeah. I guess he's just training quads for no reason. :p

19. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

He might be testing himself to see if he is any shape to compete, but the reality is already setting in that is not the case, and it is pointless to leave his great touring life with Olympic and World title aleady in his pocket, just to try and finish 7th at the next Olympics and diminish his reputation to the U.S public, while pushing 30 on a beat up body competing against people who skated at a level far beyond what he ever did (eg- Chan).

20. t.mann

t.mann New Member

my thought too.
    maybe Nationals. (like Sasha)

21. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

Evan is one of my skating idols, but I still have my doubts on whether or not he'll compete. I'm hoping he will, obviously, but I would rather have him pull out last minute then do badly and embarrass himself on his great comeback.

22. tiredout

tiredout New Member

I don't think that there is anything wrong with Evan going for another Olympics,win or lose. If you recall, Brian Boitano and Viktor Petrenko did it in 1994. Brian messed up, the first time I think I ever saw him mess up, and came in 6th place, but it certainly didn't ruin his overall career. Evan has said he loves to train and compete and it is the place he is the happiest. He is not the happiest touring and meeting with sponsors as he did last year. He knows what the reality of competing will be. He can only do his best as he has always done. US skating is hurting without Evan and needs to earn our three places back at Worlds. The younger men coming up aren't competitive enough yet with the big guns, and that includes Jeremy Abbott. I do have hope for Richard Dornbush who seems to be more consistent. But I have a lot of hope in Evan who has always been consistent, has the mental toughness, and the skills needed for good results.

sassybuford and (deleted member) like this.
  23. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

24. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

25. Ella-skater

Ella-skater New Member