Will anyone ever skate to Brokeback Mountain?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by dots, Apr 27, 2012.

1. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I know most skaters wouldn't touch the score by Santaolalla. But my god The Wings is such a beautiful piece of music that it seems like such an obvious pick.

I always thought Jeremy Abbott would be able to create beautiful skating with this song (probably a short program) He's like the perfect skater to skate to The Wings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fe1dzhY_ps

2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Maybe chan since he's already conquered the "six inches" from BBM

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see Jeremy Abbott skate to this music, perhaps it is more suited to an exhibition number, especially with the lyrics. However, an instrumental version too would be nice. But, I wonder maybe whether the subject matter/ context of the film might be a deterrent for some skaters selecting this beautiful music.

Certainly, the eloquent, brave and wonderful film Brokeback Mountain (by Ang Lee) should have won an Academy Award for Best Picture instead of the flawed Crash. I also felt Heath Ledger deserved to win an Oscar for Best Actor that year.

4. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I think there's enough sensitivity and maturity in Jeremy for the subject matter of the film not to be a problem. It really is a shame the film has kept skaters from using this beautiful melody. Well not the film itself but their ignorance. :(

Maybe one day, who knows.

PS: Yes, it should have won the Oscar. It was such a shock when it lost.

Macassar88 you little devil :grope:

5. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Maybe Bobrova and Soloviev? ;)

6. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I suppose it's a matter of how it is presented. Imagine you are sitting on your couch watching the U.S. Nationals on television next year. ( Wouldn't that be great? ) Alissa Czisny is introduced and she skates out to center ice and takes her position. The information box pops up and tells you she is skating to "Sacrifice" by Maurice Jarre. You wouldn't think much of it.
    But if the info box told you she was skating to the soundtrack of Mandingo, that would raise an eyebrow or two.

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

8. aftershocks

:rofl: -- Cultural/ recent and past historical references aside, I must check out both of these pieces of music!

Oh gosh, that instrumental version is so lovely and heartbreaking, especially as it recalls Heath Ledger's poignant and remarkable performance, as well as his untimely death a couple of years after BBM debuted.

Maybe a skater might choose this music and have the info box read: "Selections from composer, Gustavo Santaolalla." But surely it can't be as bad to the extent, God forbid that the title is even referenced!?

Oh well, I guess Polymer Bob already made that point. :shuffle:

9. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

A pairs team skated to this at US Nationals a couple of years back.

10. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Weir is the one who comes to mind!

11. aftershocks

^^ But somehow I don't quite see Johnny in the role of a cowboy. Sure he could perform to this music. I'd like to see Jeremy or Adam skate to it. :) Even Dornbush might try it as an ironic contrast to his fp of this past season. But Ricky will probably be moving on to something quite different, and I hope successful for him.

Jayar, do you remember who the pairs team was that skated to this music?

12. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Similarly, just as THIS is a fun piece of music that would be great backing for a short program, I can't see it ever being used.

13. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

No doubt, that would be an interesting costume. :scream:

14. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Think a ladies skater would tackle it?

15. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I wonder if most fans would even know or care about the subject matter of the movie music their listening to. It's a wonderful piece and it's a shame no top flight skater seems to have used it.

16. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I'm going to have to check out these music pieces later (I'm at the library right now enjoying some free air conditioning). :D I'll check to see if they have the soundtrack.

As for soundtrack music, I loved "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon". Thought it had many pieces that were going to be used over and over again after the movie came out. But that didn't really happen... :(

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I was very surprised that CTHD music was hardly ever used by skaters. It is such beautiful music! I think just one ice dance team skated to it, and I don't recall any singles or pairs skaters using it.

18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Two creative emotive guys.......Sandhu and Weir...:)

19. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Verner did when he won Euros, didn't he? Simpson/Blackmer did as well, I think,

20. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Angela Wang skated to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for her LP last year (her great Nationals skate is actually up on Youtube, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLK_PE1vHGA) and she converted it into her SP for this year.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

Yes, it was Simpson/Blackmer SP last season, they were lovely. IMO.

Here's the link to their performance at JGP Final
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4qWKd7M-h4

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

How did I forget this? I saw that performance live, and gave her a standing ovation at the end.

23. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Johnny Weir, no doubt. He can begin to get 'in the mood' with the Western outfits at this week's training camp.