Will any gay skaters boycott the games?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by dots, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I wonder if mainstream American media will even mention the issue during the games. :rolleyes:

2. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

I very strongly suspect it will.

3. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

No athlete will boycott. That would just be silly, and would not make a difference in the state of things unless ALL the skaters didn't go.

Did anyone see the movie Stick It? Now that kind of action would make a statement. More to the point, why is a country that has such a policy being "honored" with the Olympics? And why would the ISU participate?

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I totally expect nothing but stuff like this! If you want to enjoy the games it will be just impossible! I mean with Plushenko in Vancouver you had Lennin Statues and Stalin statues and all about how evil Russians are and now the whole Olympics will be there so for drama and pro American stuff every hour of every broadcast will likely have policy reports about Pussy riot and gay rights and Chechnya and maybe Syria or Putin or something!

5. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

6. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

Jesse Owens at the Olympics in Nazi Germany certainly proved that! ;)

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

The article also comments:

8. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Every country that sends athletes deserves to be in the mix for contending to host if they want! If you don't want the country to host than also ban the athletes! How about that! Maybe some athletes support the policies! Speak in favor of them in their home country! You don't want that!

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ I pointed out another comment from the article.

Yep, every take on this Olympic controversy is debatable, even tho' human rights shouldn't be.

10. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

EDIT: The Human Rights Watch letter...

http://www.hrw.org/node/116598
    Letter to the Director General of the International Olympic Committee on Discrimination of LGBT People in Russia in Relation to 2014 Winter Olympics

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013