Will any gay skaters boycott the games?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by dots, Jun 12, 2013.

1. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I'm starting to hear some horror stories about Russia.

Anti-gay bill passes 436-0 vote

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-lawmakers-pass-anti-gay-bill-436-0-164959267.html

A girl getting kicked in the face by two homophobes

http://news.yahoo.com/lightbox/two-supporters-bill-stigmatizes-gay-community-beat-gay-photo-134506399.html

As a gay man I have decided that a trip to Sochi is no longer in the cards. I was really looking forward to it, but to be honest I wouldn't feel safe. Am I reading too much into things, or is homophobia such a big problem in Russia? :(

I wonder if we'll hear anything from the gay skaters.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  3. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I posted about this today on Twitter and Facebook. And I sent tweets of concern to @USFigureSkating, @USOlympic, @NBCOlympics, @Sochi2014 and Phil Hersh @olyphil.

Terrible law...terrible step back to the bad old days! How are gay athletes, coaches, staff, fans, tourists and those who love them supposed to feel safe there for the Winter Olympics in Sochi2014? :eek:

Even if one is not gay, it is conceivably possible that you could be fined, arrested and deported just for expressing support of gay people! :mad:

EDIT: Phil later tweeted about this...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. Sylvia

^^^ If you want, go ahead and bump up the thread in GSD by re-posting what you just wrote, dardar1126.

ETA: You might want to quote dot's post for context.

5. dardar1126

Already did both.

6. Sylvia

7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Why?

9. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I don't think, that any attack will reach the gay athletes in Sochi. No one will care of it. Olympic Games are held four years, I do not think that should be left out. I'm sure, you remember, before Beijing some people wanted to boycott because of Tibet. They are right, but I don't believe that the boycott was a good idea. Only athletes go wrong.

10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I agree with the Iron Lady. Maybe some gay athletes would boycott, but I doubt it. To make a really generalized statement that isn't true for all athletes but will say it anyway. Athletes are focused on their individual or team's glory in their sport. They have dedicated their lives to it. That makes them a little self-serving and I'm sure their interest in achieving that goal (winning a medal, winning gold, making it to the finals, some stepping foot in the Games, etc.) outweighs any other political or personal feelings they have regarding Russia's laws on homosexuality. The athletes have already rationalized every hardship and sacrifice they had to endure to make it to the Olympic level. They're probably thinking one more personal sacrifice wouldn't hurt.

11. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I agree. I think it's easier for a fan or tourist to not go, but for an athlete this may be their one shot that they have worked years towards. The athletes can't be choosy about which country happens to be hosting the Olympics and if they agree with everything the country stands for.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Russia's poor record for human rights was well known when the IOC awarded the games to Sochi in 2007, and I doubt that incidents of violence directed against gay people are any more prevalent now than they were then.

Extract from a Wikipedia article that appears to rely heavily on data from around 2007 says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Russia

The time for speaking up on the wisdom of selecting Sochi was six years ago. There certainly were organizations criticizing the choice on human-rights grounds, but neither athletes nor gay-rights organizations were in the vanguard then. I doubt that any gay skaters will boycott the games; Russia's poor human rights record has been known for as long as any of them have been preparing for the upcoming Olympics.

If fears for your own safety are what is keeping you from going, though, I think you should do a bit more investigation before you decide not to go. A few high-profile incidents in other parts of Russia do not necessarily mean that Sochi, which will have added levels of security at the time, will be any more dangerous than other cities that have hosted the Games recently.

13. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

I don't honestly think there are any 'out' gay skaters that will compete in Sochi. Even if Johnny were competing, I still don't think he would push aside another chance at the Olympics in protest. I don't know. It's a lifelong dream for any athlete that makes it there. It's about their personal journey, struggle and sacrifice. Would they feel uncomfortable and possibly scared? I would imagine so, yes. It would be slightly unhealthy for them to have to deal with the stress of being amongst people who want them dead, burned, and desecrated, while mentally making themselves strong enough to compete on the world's biggest stage... but would they do it? My guess is yes.

14. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Given Russia's long, long list of what's quaintly called "human rights violations" I doubt adding one more to the list is going to make any difference to most athletes. For starters, they can if necessary stay within the Olympic village and venues under security. It would take a huge amount of self-sacrifice to give up a shot at the Olympics over principle or even fear for their own safety.

Do I think fans/spectators ought to be giving Russia their tourism dollars? Personally I wouldn't and not even only now or because of this particular law.

15. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Just for the record- the one being beaten on the photo is a guy, not a girl. Not that it changes anything... he was later saved by the photographers. The ones who beat him were a bunch of well prganized and payed 12-13 y.o. idiots.

In general onowing russian and reading both the official and the opposition blogs before i went to russia for the first time i had a completely wrong impression of how things were there . It turned out to. Be not as bad as i imagined (though mich to my friends' amusement i keep doing things in russia which, according to them no sane person would).
    I reckon the opympic venue is going to be isplated.enough so all of us, gay and pro gay preverts can stay away from the pure russians.

16. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

No skaters will boycott Olympics.

I dont know enough about the law in Russia. I didnt do my reading.
    i do know that tomorrow I am attending Pride in Zagreb for my friends.

17. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Russia are 50 years behind the rest of the world? This was evident by Smirnov's haircut.

Disgusting and pathetic but hardly surprising. Beyond their horrific human rights record, how a country that still maintains an organised doping program can be granted an Olympic games, I will never know. Oh right. Money. If people spend their hard earned cash visiting this shithole and attending the games, then they'll justify that decision. I hope the games bomb, literally.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    kosjenka and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I absolutely agree with this. There usually is added levels of security where the Olympics is held and at the Olympic Village.

19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Most unlikely - to the thread question
    I don't think 'gay skaters' (whoever they are) boycotting Sochi will make any difference (as in reversing the anti-gay legislation). At most, just some publicity in their home country. If they wish to boycott Sochi, it is likely they need their federation's approval too. Would skating federations want to get involved in such issues?

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The best way to protest is to participate, and win !

21. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Exactly why the US should never have boycotted the Moscow Olympics in 1980 and instead gone there and stomped them on the field of play despite the organized doping programs that the Russians had and the corrupt judging.

22. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Although I don't think a protest would do any good really, I think not participating and causing Sochi to lose all that potential revenue after investing so much into the games is much more effective than beating the Russian team in Curling or in hockey or in bob sled, etc.

Ares likes this.
  23. dardar1126

For your scrapbook...

Twitter:

kosjenka and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Haha, that is a joke right, especially since when we know people like Carl Lewis was on drugs as well. In effect every was on drugs during that era.

25. dardar1126

From the thread in GSD...

Twitter:

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Not everyone was doping. For instance most female swimmers didn't look like men unlike the East German women's team.

27. lala

lala Well-Known Member

28. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Oopsy! You added an "S" to skater. Anyway, thanks for starting another Johnny thread. And NO, if he makes it out of U.S. nationals, Mr. Weir will NOT give up the opportunity to compete at another Olympics. Plus Johnny loves Russia in spite of its' homophobic policies. Plus being the only openly gay skater, Johnny's presence at the Olympics might be a bigger statement than if he boycotted.

29. dardar1126

First... :lol:

Second, you've got a point. Johnny would be a big old "IN YOUR FACE" to Putin and this ridiculous homophobic law! :glamor:

30. dardar1126