Will Alexe Gilles ever make it?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by dupagegal, Jan 30, 2011.

1. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

Well while we are on the subject of Senior ladies how about Alexe Gilles?

Let's see she finished 14th with a score of 123.75. And quite honestly looked pretty bad. She mustered a great 3 lutz in the beginning of the program and went down hill from there.....Popping jumps ect.

In 2010 she finished 12th at skate America
    finished 11th at skate Canada
    finished 9th at Four continents
    at U.S Chanpionships finished 8th.

It's about time she retires.:hat1:
    I just suddenly thought of a better idea.
    She should go into Pairs. In fact Steven Carriere is looking for a partner and they are both 5'7".

2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

You're kidding, right? Maybe she could lift him.

Honestly, I'm amazed at the number of senior ladies who seem so out of shape and/or lackadaisical about the experience, Khazova & Gilles, especially. Why bother to show up or stay in the sport, if they're not into it? Competing at a Nationals should be treated with honor and respect. I can understand someone laughing-off a poor skate in the Kiss n' Cry (like Sean Rabitt in Sr Men SPs after his freakish fall) but not laughing-off a performance even before the skate begins, like these two ladies did. Get out and stop spending parents' hard-earned money.

3. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Will she make it? No. I guess she could go for a decade at doing regionals-sectionals-nationals like Bebe or Amber Corwin but she's not going to get further than that.

4. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Well, she's not even a guarantee to make it to Nationals next year if she doesn't turn things around somehow. IMO she had some potential a few years ago and occasionally hit a 7 triple long program. I'm not sure what happened but its just SO not there for her anymore. With Gracie Gold, Lauren Dinh, Nina Jiang, McKinzie Daniels coming up in MIDS in the next couple years, and eventually Mariah Bell, Hannah Miller, and Barbie Long also...that's a lot to deal with-I'm not sure Alexe will bother to stick around...but for a few years there, she was pretty fantastic. So good for her.

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

How would changing disciplines solve anything? A headcase is a headcase. She should find a sports psychologist and leave Tom Zakrajsek.

6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

It seems like she's got worse, not better. Maybe she has other distractions in life or she's less motivated without her brother and sister also skating. I dunno. I don't think she should do pairs though. She's way too big!

7. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Unlike my post in the Ashley thread -

No, I'm sad to say that she probably won't make it

8. dancer1985

dancer1985 New Member

Alexe is a lovely skater. Right now, she doesn't seem to believe it herself. So much of skating is mindset. Her disappointment in herself is obvious -- her joy is missing and she appears to give up during her programs -- it makes me sad.

In response to the Amber Corwin comment...I'm not sure I agree. Amber always seemed to try so hard (too hard) and (in my opinion) lacked the "skater" quality. Amber seemed a bit jerky and awkward at times. I don't see this with Alexe.

Honestly, I believe that Alexe has the potential to be great. I truly believe that our beliefs dictate our success. It's psychology -- if someone has a skewed viewpoint or perspective about themselves, it becomes their reality -- it acts as a blueprint and dictates SO many areas of their life. So, with Alexe, she might not train as hard and won't perform well, won't maintain maximum health, etc....Granted, there are SO many pressures in skating and I understand the difficulty of detaching oneself from the politics and the expectations of others -- but it is possible. She's still young -- she can learn to skate for herself and believe in her skating...if she can shift her mindset, the rest will follow (that is if she really wants it).

9. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I used to really like Alexe; this season, I've just felt sad to watch her. Were she to switch disciplines, perhaps she'd do well in dance? I think jumping is her biggest issue.

10. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

She always seems too stiff out there. I think if she wants to make it, she needs to make MAJOR lifestyle and coaching changes.

11. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Agreed to a large extent, and maybe you could have a talk with Mirai about that. ;)

Bodies can also change over time. In Alexe's case, the one thing that's always distracted me is how stiff her back is. Not sure if that affects her flexibility and difficulty level on certain bendy moves. Also, I'm not saying that she's fat, but maybe her body composition (like developing bone structure) has something to do too.

Injuries can happen to a number of talented skaters too.

12. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Alexe is a beautiful girl and has some nice tricks in her skating arsenal but she is having problems executing them. With all the newbies in the pipeline, even if she were to fix her issues I think she would have a hard time. I think it is time for her to go to school full-time. Surely that would be cheaper for her parents than continuing in skating.

13. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm watching her LP again. Here are some thoughts:

1. I dislike this music for her. I was an On the Town fan last year, but this wasn't so hot.
    2. She spins nicely, albeit a little slowly. I really never noticed that before!
    3. The steps are a bit...clunky. And scattered. I almost want to rewatch the steps one more time, because I felt so lost-it was a very disorganized step sequence.

I think that, were Alexe to continue, she should look into a new coach and choreographer and move in a different direction with her music-I think that Rachael's jazzy music would be really nice on Alexe. She should also consult a psychologist.

14. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

When I saw her at SA, I could see some really nice qualities in her skating but Tom Z has no idea how to showcase them; all I could think was how badly she needs to leave Tom Z. If she's also a "headcase", Yuka and Jason have worked WONDERS for Alissa. She should go to them (but, my advice to all skaters lately has been to "go to Yuka and Jason!" :lol: I just love them as coaches, they actually make COP look good and their skaters can actually BREATHE during a performance and not look constipated.).

-Bridget :)

15. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Yuka and Jason didn't exactly help Jeremy Abbott today. But sometimes once a headcase always a headcase.

16. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

She looks better in practice; I think that the execution problems are largely mental.

17. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Maybe Alexe would do better in ice dance? No jumps for her to fall on :)

18. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Jeremy had some major pressure on him to 3-peat today. I don't think he's a "headcase"... I think he was just responding as many people would to a very challenging situation. You can't do well at Nationals every year no matter how good you are.

As for Alexe, if she likes to skate, she should skate as long as she wants and is able. We don't know what type of goals she has and how well she is capable of skating in practice. I think it's cruel to say she should "stop spending her parents' money". Maybe her parents like that she works very hard, does a sport she loves to stay in shape, and competes in front of thousands of people. That's more than a lot of people her age are doing. If she should quit, what should the girls who go to Regionals every year just hoping for a chance to just qualify to Sectionals do? :scream:

I'm curious as to why she does a nice 3T-3T in the SP but then doesn't attempt it in the LP. There are several issues with her skating, but I think she is capable of doing better than she has been recently.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  19. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Lately, that's been my thought, too, but I think more of the sentiment (as I see it) is that a lot of Tom Z's skaters need a change (although apparently, Ryan Bradley does not :)).

20. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

That's because Ryan Bradley has the inner awesomeness and actually has been essentially coaching himself leading up to Nationals. :kickass:

Unfortunately, most of Tom Z's skaters are the polar opposite. They seem to have NO ability to express music, and no inner awesomeness to know that their skating is comatose and that they need a change badly. Its like they are all brainwashed zombies over there. Its a really sad situation.

21. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

#saveagnes

22. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Get a new coach. Isn't she going off to college next year?

23. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I love Alexe and think that she has two major choices to make.

1. Does she want to keep skating?
    2. If yes, who does she want for her new coach?

She's been going backwards over the past several years and it's obvious that she needs something different than what she's getting from Tom and Becky.

I get a Volchkova-ish vibe from her; she's such a strong powerful skater and the princess packaging just does. not. work. Her team needs to embrace the height and accentuate her power, not try to mask it with light pink and light blue.

24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

If so, major props to him! That's got to be tough. :respec:

25. lilshorty

lilshorty Member

For real.

26. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Do you think he could lift her? :lynch:

27. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

Actually I was thinking of a novel unique approach. She could lift Him.....lol:D