Will 2011/12 be a better season for Mao Asada?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Jul 9, 2011.

?

Will Mao Asada have a better season in 2011/12?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2011.
  1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Too early to tell

17 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

2010/11 was a season of experimentation for Mao in which she set about changing aspects of her jumping technique and other areas, etc. She did this knowing full well that her results in competitions may suffer during the 2010/11 season, but it was done with an eye on the 2014 Olympics. However, will this ultimately pay off and will her results improve for the 2011/12 season?

2. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

Seriously hoping it is. Haters remain pressed. ;)

3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think it'll probably be better than last season (that was pretty bad, for her), but maybe still not her best.. I'm hoping I'm wrong about the second part though

4. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I hope her season is better than last. I'm still not sure she'll be exactly where she wants to be but I hope there is some improvement.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Mao will continue to struggle as long as she focuses on 3axels that she is unable to cleanly land. She will have some good skates and win but I think it will all come down to luck on whether or not those good skates happen at the big events.

6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

If Mao is serious about improving her jump technique, then I certainly hope so. It'll be a great example for others if an established skater decides to work on having more correct technique and actually succeeds in doing so.

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

My answer is NO, because I don't want to jinx her ;)

8. miki88

miki88 New Member

Second that!

9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I hope it is!

10. Amy03

Amy03 Member

I am sure that it will be a better season then last, since she last year simply had too many changes at the same time. not to mention that she begun those changes very late in the season and her weight loss at worlds definitely effected her too. since she clearly improved from every competition as the season went by and as her new technique has become much more familiar to her.
    but how well it will go this season will be interesting to see, i really hope that she has regained her good condition so that we will see her in top form again from the beginning off the season...

11. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I hope it is, because she has beautiful skating. I hope she can work on her Flip and Lutz because incorrect edges are my pet peeve. I also hope she brings her old spiral back even though it won't get her more points because I thought that it was the best spiral sequence post Sasha.

12. Amy03

Amy03 Member

asada doesn't have an incorrect edge on the flip only on the lutz and she is already working on correcting that one

13. Macassar88

Well, her triple lutz wasn't really any better in 2011. But her triple flip is nice. I thought she lipped it from the camera angle.
    I hope she can rotate all her jumps as well.

14. miki88

miki88 New Member

She doesn't lip. lol. In fact, her edge on the flip is quite deep.

15. Macassar88

Yeah, but the angle that I saw her flip from made it look like it was a bad edge.

16. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I expect her to skate in Pyongchang 2018 and finish just off the podium like Suguri did in 2006.

17. Amy03

Amy03 Member

no one has asked you about where you think mao asada will place 2018 heck we do't even know if she is going to attend that one, the question is if this season i going to be better for mao!!! but from you're comment jst now i already know what you are going to answer!!

18. Amy03

Amy03 Member

no one has asked you about where you think mao asada will place 2018 olympics heck we don't even know if she is going to attend that one, the question is if this season i going to be better for mao!!! but from you're comment jst now i already know what you are going to answer!!

19. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I really don't remember anything she did last season hence I couldn't comment her next season either.

I just have a hunch that she will stick around long enough to become a Suguri 2.0, that's all.

20. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that Suguri had achieved a world championship.

Well, of course, she didn't, which is why the comparison to Mao is silly. Mao has much more talent and has already achieved far more than Suguri did.

I expect her to come back strongly this season, now that she's back in a coaching environment that is a good fit for her.

21. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I am pretty sure it will be a better season for Mao. One thing that Nobuo Sato seems to be good at is bringing Mao's expectations of herself to a more reasonable level. In a recent interview she said that they didn't decide whether to include a triple axel in her program next year (it was unclear which program she was talking about) since she didn't start practicing the jump yet. I think they will focus on things she can do first and will be adding difficulty gradually when she is ready.

22. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Do you mean Sochi? Or do you really think that Asada in 2018 will remain one of Japan's top three ladies? Because that would be a phenomenal achievement in my mind, given the general depth of talent they seem to have.

23. Macassar88

Good. I hope she works on rotating all her other jumps first and then maybe the triple axel. (I also hope she gets the triple flip triple loop combo back because that will get her more points than a triple axel double toe)