Why won't Kwan skate in the US?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by wickedwitch, Jun 6, 2010.

1. wickedwitch

wickedwitch Well-Known Member

I'd love to see her live again. She must be getting some offers. Why hasn't she taken any?

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I doubt that there are many offers that don't conflict with Michelle's academic schedule or public responsibilities.
    The available options aren't what they once were.

She has said that she plans to skate in the US again.

3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I expect the payout for Korea is much higher then anything here.

4. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

You got it.

Skating shows/tours just aren't that profitable in the U.S.

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Because she hates America. I heard she is abandoning her citizenship and skating for Russia in 2014.

6. REO

REO New Member

Oh! Her and Johnny. My two faves! lol

7. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Money Money Money

8. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

But surely there's a charity show or something similar that she could do. I mean, I'm cynical, but even I don't think it's purely a $$ issue. She's not a heartless, cash craving capitalist.

I imagine it's a mental/emotional thing. Maybe skating in the US as a skater who is not truly ever going for a worlds or olympic team ever again would have emotional significance for her that skating in Korea does not.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And you know that how? ;)

Kwan is actually a turrorist and she is planning to betray her country by representing North Korea in Sochi. :drama:

10. Lilith11

Lilith11 New Member

Perhaps because all the skating shows in the US would mean long term committment, like SOI whereas in Korea, the shows just go on for 3 days?

11. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Isn't she in a pretty tough grad-school program? Work and schedule for that is probably going to take priority over everything else.

12. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Well, if she can find time to FLY TO KOREA and skate, that excuse doesn't work.

And wasn't it always rumored that she hated to fly?

I think the US is ripe for a Festa style 3 day show in Vegas, don't you?

13. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

She possibly could skate in one of the Disson shows since each one is a one night deal. It would be nice to see her skate again.

14. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Since school won't let her do long term commitments, such as an SOI tour, that leaves the Disson shows -- most of which have not yet announced their full schedules yet. So, I wouldn't assume quite yet that she won't skate in the US.

15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I don't think Michelle needs any "excuses." :) She can skate when she wants and focus on other things when she wants. It seems to be working out well for her.

16. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Last year's show and this one were in the summer. Do you know if Fletcher has summer term courses and if she's enrolled in them?

17. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

It does if that week she doesn't have anything like an exam or, if she's still doing them, a state department commitment, and she feels like doing a show and that one worked out.

Yeah, it'd be NICE to maybe see her skate, if she felt like it, but it's not like it's the center of her life any more. There's nothing to compete in that matters if she can't do the eligible side any more, she was always more about competition than exhibition, maybe she just wants to focus on the rest of her life.

18. Verbalgirl77

Verbalgirl77 is silently judging you

I'd like to see her put together her own show for a night or two in the US but again, that actually requires time and effort. I'm not sure if she can put either of those in right now if she's focusing on school, too. She'd probably want to take time off during the summer if she's not in school. Even The Kween needs to chill out every now and then and I don't know if she'd want to spend her time off getting into what she considers to be prime skating shape.

Maybe she'll put a bit more effort into something like that after she graduates?

19. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

If Michelle wants a career in international affairs, then she must build a resume that is in that field. She can not back off, especially while she has resources in that field at school, and just do skating shows or she will become just that, a show skater. You should just accept that the era of Michelle Kwan being on TV every other weekend is over. Also, keep in mind that she is "behind" to a certain extent; she is a 30 year old doing the activities typical of a 24 year old. While her progress has been spectacular, she still has quite a few more things to accomplish before she no longer has to prove herself in that arena.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  20. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

My thoughts exactly.

21. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

She's at the Fletcher School of Tufts, isn't she?

Average Age: 27;
    Age Range: 21-57

Sounds like she fits right in to me. With her State Department experience, she might even be ahead of the game.

The average age of college graduates earning bachelor's degrees is 25, while graduate schools have seen a sharp increase in new students 40 and older in the last decade. If Michelle is behind, she can't be too far back.

luenatic and (deleted member) like this.
  22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

When she was competiting, many people complained that she always wanted to skate in the US, not much outside.
    Now, it's the contrary. Fans are never happy :p

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  23. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Does anybody know how much approx. money the skaters get from skating in Korean shows?

24. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Getting a masters at Michelles age is totally normal... It's not a race.

25. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Pre-hip surgery, yes. And she was hardly alone. Lots of athletes with nagging injuries dislike long plane flights. But that's not a factor any more for her.

Frankly, I don't care what her motivation is for doing the show in Korea. Maybe the scheduling works out well with school. Maybe it's the money. Maybe it's to cultivate some international connections as part of her later career. Maybe it's to take the opportunity to visit some family in China while she's in that part of hte world. Or maybe she just felt like it.

I doubt she has any master strategy in mind when it comes to skating opportunities. She's in a different stage of her life now. I believe she will skate in the U.S. post-graduation.

26. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Never heard about it officially.

But, rumor had it that a female skater(I know who she is though ;)) was paid more than $50,000 at FOI 2009.
    And the higher at IAS 2009 because sponsors are flocking to Yu-Na show.

Again! it's a rumor without foundation.

27. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

It occurred to me that Michelle might feel more comfortable doing a show where someone else is the "big star" who is expected to sell the tickets, attract advertisers, etc.

28. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

I don't know what Grad school you went to. When I was in grad school, most of my 'classmates' were older (mid 20s to early 30s, some of them were 40s and up) with working experience.

29. Eggplant

Eggplant New Member

I imagine that for her to skate in the U.S., Michelle would have to set up her own special exhibition or TV special, etc., which would take a lot of time and work and she is probably just too busy for that right now.

I can't really see her just stepping in SOI for a performance or two, either. She is too big of a star and everyone would freak about it. Wasn't there a show recently in Boston, and someone said Michelle had been invited but turned it down, in part because it would have taken the focus off the other skaters? I mean, it really would. It would turn into the Michelle Kwan show, and for that to happen she'd really be better off with her own show for real, imo.

I do think that being invited by Yuna is also a factor...Michelle is therefore a huge star in the show, but not *the* star or the hometown star. Might seem more manageable to her, especially after being gone for so long. And yes, frankly, I'm sure the money plays a big role in it.

She is also a perfectionist, and she's busy with school, so I'm sure it's not a possibility for her to just hop around in whatever shows she's invited to in the U.S. It sounds like she has been training specifically for this Korea show. With her tight schedule and desire to skate her best, maybe this is her "one and done" for the year. Though I hope I'm wrong.

I'd love for her to pull something together and have her own show in the U.S. in the near future. But we will see.

30. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Yes. This way she doesn't have to be the "face" of the show, make nice to the sponsors, do the promotion, etc. She can show up and skate without all of the other commitments ahead of time.