Why private swimming pools should be fenced

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Jun 12, 2012.

1. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

You said small and about 30 cm deep but how large is it (width)?

2. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

hmm, I'm trying to remember - maybe 2 m x 3 m? its back is kinda obscured by foliage, and it is mostly a pond for salamanders and frogs - no fish. The bottom is quite slippery and its full of mush/leaves/algae (honestly, it is more like a waterhole than pond :lol:. If it was my summer house I would either fix it up with a pump or remove it - the rest of the garden is really beautifully landscaped, so it doesn't really fit with a 'natural' pond).

I still think just boarding it over when we want to hang out on the garden might be most efficient. Of course, it may just rain the whole time (this being Denmark), and we all just go out in the rain together, no relaxing sun time for the parents :p

(and yes, I know this is thread drift, sorry everyone)

3. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

When I was married, we bought a house with an inground pool. The whole yard had a 6 ft. high privacy fence, with a padlock on the gate. And all around the pool was a knee high "picket fence" with a spring lock gate. You had to reach over the lift up the latch.

The people we bought the house from had little kids. I always made sure everybody kept the spring lock closed because of our dog, Sadie. She wouldn't even get close to the fence when anyone was in the pool splashing around or anything. She hated water. But I was afraid she might be chasing something in the yard and not pay attention to where she was going.

Funny story - I was getting ready for work one morning and looked out the second story window to the back yard and saw something in the water. I went down (left Sadie in the house) and there was a little bunny swimming around. I got the skimmer net thing and fished him out. He was breathing, but worn out. I put him on a towel on the picnic table and then had to go to work. He wasn't there when I got home, so I am hoping he got his second wind and hopped away!

4. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

My ex had two preteen boys who could swim like fish by the time they could walk, but they were not allowed in our pool if I was the only one home because I could not swim. My idea!!!

Funny (again) - the morning we were moving into the house, I took some stuff there by myself and looked outside and there was a floating lounge chair in the pool (for me). Awwwww.

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Right. The neighbor who babysitted my sister and I had a pool, not separately fenced, but we were only allowed to go in if she was watching us.

Whereas my parents let us go wild in the front yard without supervision. :lol: We were trusted to be smart enough not to run in front of cars. :p But all it takes is a slip by the pool, you never know...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  6. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

So true. In the mid-50's, my 18-month old brother drowned in a irregation ditch next to my grandma's house in Arizona. She was watching him inside her house, when somebody used the screen door and forgot to latch it. It only took seconds for him to scoot out the door. My grandpa found him further down the ditch, where the current had carried him.

I wasn't born until 1958, but as a result of the drowning my mother was by then very paranoid about the water, and I guess it had rubbed off on me. She did let my sister and I swim, but she never took her eyes off of us. Now, I'm the same way - paranoid!

Of course, my brother didn't drown in a swimming pool, and not every ditch on a farm is going to be fenced in, but water really is unforgiving, and it can happen so quickly. You will never get that moment back.

7. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

The pond doesn't sound like a good combination, a slippery bottom and foliage covering the top of it. Can you buy a tarp to cover it rather than boarding it over? I'd think it would be easier and it wouldn't damage the plants and in my experience, walking on boards is a fun thing to do for small children, tarps not so much. ;)

Your little guy might not be interested in it at all, but better to be safe rather than sorry.

8. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

We had a pool (above ground) when our kids were little. We had exterior fence per city regulations, life jackets and removed the ladder when when we were not home to hopefully deter any neighborhood children from wandering and getting into the pool. Since there was no decking around the pool, you needed the ladder to climb in.

Responsibility begins with the adults around the child, but even at that we know that children are curious beings and some will wander off and into a pool. We have a responsibility to do reasonable measures to avoid accidental drownings, but there is not even regulation to avoid every drowning death. Some of those deaths are from non-swimming pool accidents.

9. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

We have a 6 ft privacy fence with a locked gate but we still lock our hot tub when we are not home. I'm not sure if a child could open the cover - we have a cover lifter but it's hard for me to lift it anyway - but I don't want to come home & find out that it was doable. It only takes a moment to lock it.

10. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

When we were kids and had a pool... We had very strict rules from very forceful parents... And the minute they left and turned the corner to the main road..... My youngest sister was lookout.... It was "everybody in the pool". My brother used to jump in from the bbq chimney with my little sister on his shoulders. Really I don't know how we survived.

I will try to remember to do some research into CALIFORNIA law... But IIRC when we were buying and selling homes in the 70's and 80's thenpool fencing lws were in force.

And as to ambiance...... A pool where a child has drowned probably does more harm to the ambience than a fence. Just saying......

11. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

12. madm

madm Active Member

Not only do you need to have a fence around the pool with a locked gate, you should also post rules for pool use (e.g. children cannot swim without adult supervision, no running or horseplay, no glass containers, etc). And the pool should have a cover that is attached at the sides when it is not in use, so as to prevent anyone from accidentally falling into it. God forbid that anyone would drown or be seriously injured, but if that happens the insurance companies will be looking for the presence of a fence, locked gate, posted rules, adult supervision, and a pool cover in order to determine who is negligent. Anyone who owns a pool needs to have adequate liability insurance. I know someone who was sued by his neighbor for an accident involving the neighbor's kid on his trampoline, and these are the things the judge looked for in determing negligence.

13. David Moshe8100

David Moshe8100 New Member

Swimming is a sport that is not natural to everyone.I'm totally agree with everyone.Certain two facts on this post unequivocally the best we have all had.All pools should have a barrier around them and high enough.

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

In Australia I am pretty sure it is mandatory throughout every Australian state that if you have a pool you have a fence. No questions - it has to be done. And here a lot of kids learn to swim as part of just growing up. It is seen as the responsible thing to do.