Why private swimming pools should be fenced

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Jun 12, 2012.

1. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Pool fences are not the answer, watching the kids you are responsible for is.

Sounds like grandma/housekeeper is to blame, get off the phone and watch your kids.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

JMHO, but I don't see how a kiddie gate of any design wouldn't ruin this pool's aesthetic.

If you don't have kids and your property is fenced, you aren't in need of those precautions. It's like requiring every car to be outfitted with a baby car seat whether you have a child or not. Not everyone needs one, and those that do should take responsibility for getting one without having to legislate everyone in the country having one too.

This
  3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Since that home is in CA, which has a pool safety law, I'd assume it meets the requirements already.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

For this pool I would recommend electric eels.
  5. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

So if tresspassers die of pool-related causes other than drowning, all is well?

If the goal is to keep children and others out of the pool without spoiling the landscape with a fence, then how about picturesque visible threats outside the pool that will scare folks away before they get there?

Attack dogs? Attack swans? Scantily clad models with designer assault weapons?
    AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

And apparently she didn't even realize where they were until the family got home. Small children left to run amok get into trouble. Wasn't the pool's fault.
  7. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Ron Jeremy sipping mai tais in a Speedo could work, too.
  8. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

You need more than just a fence surrounding the yard/property, you need a fence surrounding the actual pool. Otherwise, a child could just slip out the back door and have full access to the pool.

Why wouldn't you be hawking a child that age? My grandparents had a brook on their property that, in certain places, was deep enough for a child to become completely submerged, and it also had a dam and a 15-20' waterfall about 60' from the back of the house. Some times during the year, you could walk right across on the stones; other times (Spring thaw) it was rushing fast and deep enough that it could sweep a small child right off their feet. Between 1959 and 1970, there were ten grandchildren coming to visit between the ages of 10 years and 16 months, and you can bet damn straight that my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and my own parents (the youngest 2 kids were my older brothers) were "hawking" all those kids so they wouldn't fall in. I myself was "hawked" by my parents, other adult relatives as well as my cousins, who are 7 to 15 years older than I am. Guess what, none of us either drowned or had a near-drowning.
  9. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm 52 years old with three children. I read all the parenting magazines, took swimming lessons myself and for my kids, and I've taken multiple first aid courses, and I DID NOT KNOW THIS until someone posted this link (Drowning DoesnÂ’t Look Like Drowning) on Facebook last year.

I sent the link to all my colleagues at work who have children.
  10. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I think the stiff incline is more of danger than the pool in that house. And those endangered would more likely be drunken socialites than children.
  11. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I can't get the link to open, but the law in California requiring fencing for the pool itself only applies to pools that are built or remodeled after 2007.
  12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I don't know why people expect parents to watch their kids every darn second. My parents were strict as all get out (hello, Asian!), but I wasn't watched every darn second.

Anyways, I have no real opinion on this but the pool in my condo building is outdoors and is surrounded by a glass fence and trees. It's actually quite pretty.
  13. milanessa

This home was built in 2007 so may be grandfathered. It is an 11,000 sq ft place that cost over $34M to build and is now for sale for $19.3M - hardly an example most of us can relate to as far as landscaping a pool and worrying about the aesthetics of a fence.

This link may work.

http://www.thepinnaclelist.com/prof...-9826-la-jolla-farms-way-san-diego-ca-by-day/
  14. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I didn't watch mine every second, nor did my parents do that to me. But water is different. My fil had a swimming pool, in the summer time when we were visited him, I was with my kids everytime they went outside. Both kids took swimming lessons starting at 3, wore life jackets, water wings and every flotation device going. ;) When they were old enough and adept enough, they were on their own. And we drilled into them many rules about what you can and can't do in or around the pool. It takes a lot of work, but water is unforgiving. It only takes 3 minutes to drown. So for any of you with small kids around water, no matter if it's a mud puddle, you're on the hook. There have been 4 people drown in my area in the last couple of years, they were adults. It only takes 3 minutes to drown.

I understand why people wouldn't want to double fence their pool. It really makes it too much trouble to take care of, to use. And I don't think they should have to if they've made a reasonable effort to keep out unwanted visitors. Others have to respect it's private property. That means parents with kids have to go that little bit extra. (shrug) ymmv

I think all over Canada pools are attractive nuisances. Living in the country, you have a tendency not to fence in pools etc.
  15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Exactly. My mother didn't watch us ever instant of the day, but if we went to the neighbor's pool, she went and watched us. When we went to the pool at grandma's apartment complex, grandma came with us and watched. If it's your own house and you have kids, having the extra fence might be sensible. If you're visiting somewhere that has a pool, best to pay attention.

And if it's a pool on private property that you're not supposed to be in, teach your kids to stay the eff out and don't let ones too young to understand wander off on their own.
  16. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:rofl: not to an infininty pool they can't !
  17. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

I was fortunate enough to grow up with a pool. My sisters and I had strict rules regarding the pool and pool safety. The grandchildren have these same rules. Very simple, if the rules were broken, priviledges were revoked, no exceptions. No one swims alone, no child is in the backyard unattended - ever, no bathing suit means no going on the cement surrounding the pool, under 5 must wear life jackets.

When we were small, the fence was immediately around the pool. As we aged and money was there, the fence moved outward until it eventually ended up at the perimeter of the yard. All doors leading to the backyard do have chimes. I can't speak for my sisters but it never crossed my mind to be in or around the pool without permission - it would have made for a miserable summer not being allowed to swim.

Drownings infuriate me, especially when it seems majority are from "supervisory" lapses. I understand that accidents happen but choosing to not supervise children around water is not acceptable. I always wonder if these same people would leave their children unattended in the bathtub.
    halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Well, the infinity part is generally built in a way that you can't access the pool from that side anyway.;)

But I'm sure a good architect and engineer could figure out how to use tempered glass fences appropriately.:D
  19. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

No one thinks you have to supervise every kid every minute, but the example was a 16mo old. Why would you let a toddler be outdoors with or without a pool handy & not watch them every minute?

As a child, we got swimming lessons every summer but I don't ever remember being in a pool without an adult watching until I was in my teens & then it was only if I was swimming with a buddy.

Probably. There are plenty of idiots in the world.
  20. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

well, if it was my example - it isn't a pool, it is small pond in a completely fenced back yard. And if it wasn't for the pond, I don't think I need to watch him all the time, I can sit in the yard and mind my own stuff, or get in and get a glass of water. I honestly think toddlers need to explore and not be coddled.

However, I wanted to secure the water feature, since with the pond there, I would be reluctant to take my eyes off him even to read a book.

There is a difference to keeping tabs on someone in a secure place, and what you need to do in an dangerous environment, and any pool is that to a small child.
  21. milanessa

You said small and about 30 cm deep but how large is it (width)?
  22. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

hmm, I'm trying to remember - maybe 2 m x 3 m? its back is kinda obscured by foliage, and it is mostly a pond for salamanders and frogs - no fish. The bottom is quite slippery and its full of mush/leaves/algae (honestly, it is more like a waterhole than pond :lol:. If it was my summer house I would either fix it up with a pump or remove it - the rest of the garden is really beautifully landscaped, so it doesn't really fit with a 'natural' pond).

I still think just boarding it over when we want to hang out on the garden might be most efficient. Of course, it may just rain the whole time (this being Denmark), and we all just go out in the rain together, no relaxing sun time for the parents :p

(and yes, I know this is thread drift, sorry everyone)
  23. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

When I was married, we bought a house with an inground pool. The whole yard had a 6 ft. high privacy fence, with a padlock on the gate. And all around the pool was a knee high "picket fence" with a spring lock gate. You had to reach over the lift up the latch.

The people we bought the house from had little kids. I always made sure everybody kept the spring lock closed because of our dog, Sadie. She wouldn't even get close to the fence when anyone was in the pool splashing around or anything. She hated water. But I was afraid she might be chasing something in the yard and not pay attention to where she was going.

Funny story - I was getting ready for work one morning and looked out the second story window to the back yard and saw something in the water. I went down (left Sadie in the house) and there was a little bunny swimming around. I got the skimmer net thing and fished him out. He was breathing, but worn out. I put him on a towel on the picnic table and then had to go to work. He wasn't there when I got home, so I am hoping he got his second wind and hopped away!
  24. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

My ex had two preteen boys who could swim like fish by the time they could walk, but they were not allowed in our pool if I was the only one home because I could not swim. My idea!!!

Funny (again) - the morning we were moving into the house, I took some stuff there by myself and looked outside and there was a floating lounge chair in the pool (for me). Awwwww.
  25. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Right. The neighbor who babysitted my sister and I had a pool, not separately fenced, but we were only allowed to go in if she was watching us.

Whereas my parents let us go wild in the front yard without supervision. :lol: We were trusted to be smart enough not to run in front of cars. :p But all it takes is a slip by the pool, you never know...
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  26. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

So true. In the mid-50's, my 18-month old brother drowned in a irregation ditch next to my grandma's house in Arizona. She was watching him inside her house, when somebody used the screen door and forgot to latch it. It only took seconds for him to scoot out the door. My grandpa found him further down the ditch, where the current had carried him.

I wasn't born until 1958, but as a result of the drowning my mother was by then very paranoid about the water, and I guess it had rubbed off on me. She did let my sister and I swim, but she never took her eyes off of us. Now, I'm the same way - paranoid!

Of course, my brother didn't drown in a swimming pool, and not every ditch on a farm is going to be fenced in, but water really is unforgiving, and it can happen so quickly. You will never get that moment back.
  27. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

The pond doesn't sound like a good combination, a slippery bottom and foliage covering the top of it. Can you buy a tarp to cover it rather than boarding it over? I'd think it would be easier and it wouldn't damage the plants and in my experience, walking on boards is a fun thing to do for small children, tarps not so much. ;)

Your little guy might not be interested in it at all, but better to be safe rather than sorry.
  28. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

We had a pool (above ground) when our kids were little. We had exterior fence per city regulations, life jackets and removed the ladder when when we were not home to hopefully deter any neighborhood children from wandering and getting into the pool. Since there was no decking around the pool, you needed the ladder to climb in.

Responsibility begins with the adults around the child, but even at that we know that children are curious beings and some will wander off and into a pool. We have a responsibility to do reasonable measures to avoid accidental drownings, but there is not even regulation to avoid every drowning death. Some of those deaths are from non-swimming pool accidents.
  29. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

We have a 6 ft privacy fence with a locked gate but we still lock our hot tub when we are not home. I'm not sure if a child could open the cover - we have a cover lifter but it's hard for me to lift it anyway - but I don't want to come home & find out that it was doable. It only takes a moment to lock it.
  30. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

When we were kids and had a pool... We had very strict rules from very forceful parents... And the minute they left and turned the corner to the main road..... My youngest sister was lookout.... It was "everybody in the pool". My brother used to jump in from the bbq chimney with my little sister on his shoulders. Really I don't know how we survived.

I will try to remember to do some research into CALIFORNIA law... But IIRC when we were buying and selling homes in the 70's and 80's thenpool fencing lws were in force.

And as to ambiance...... A pool where a child has drowned probably does more harm to the ambience than a fence. Just saying......
  31. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

32. madm

madm Active Member

Not only do you need to have a fence around the pool with a locked gate, you should also post rules for pool use (e.g. children cannot swim without adult supervision, no running or horseplay, no glass containers, etc). And the pool should have a cover that is attached at the sides when it is not in use, so as to prevent anyone from accidentally falling into it. God forbid that anyone would drown or be seriously injured, but if that happens the insurance companies will be looking for the presence of a fence, locked gate, posted rules, adult supervision, and a pool cover in order to determine who is negligent. Anyone who owns a pool needs to have adequate liability insurance. I know someone who was sued by his neighbor for an accident involving the neighbor's kid on his trampoline, and these are the things the judge looked for in determing negligence.
  33. David Moshe8100

David Moshe8100 New Member

Swimming is a sport that is not natural to everyone.I'm totally agree with everyone.Certain two facts on this post unequivocally the best we have all had.All pools should have a barrier around them and high enough.
  34. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

In Australia I am pretty sure it is mandatory throughout every Australian state that if you have a pool you have a fence. No questions - it has to be done. And here a lot of kids learn to swim as part of just growing up. It is seen as the responsible thing to do.