Why interviews are a lousy way to judge candidates

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jenny, Feb 9, 2012.

1. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I agree with this. I have been treated so rudely by some people in HR and recruiters for certain companies that I will never use their products again and will warn people not to work for them. They seemed to think that, because the job market was soft, that they could treat their candidates any way they wanted. They don't seem to realize that job candidates are a form of customer and their bad experiences can back-fire on the company.

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I wish there was a way for interviewed candidates to leave feedback about the HR person they deal with and the interview process. I recently had an interview with an HR person of a big online retail company. She cancelled our first scheduled phone interview just 10 minutes before the interview, saying she'd been called into a meeting. That sucked as I had actually taken half a day off of my job for the interview. We rescheduled and this time, she FORGOT to call me - her Outlook calendar wasn't working (!!) and she forgot to enter the appointment manually in her agenda. The third time, she called me half an hour later than scheduled. Do they just think that all jobsearchers are unemployed people who sit around on their butts all day, waiting for calls? I would have loved to contact her supervisor and leave feedback.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't think you'd be out of line to do so. There's a good chance they'd ignore it coming from a rejected candidate, and that the HR person would say you were lying, but best case scenario you might actually get through. If you were to send a letter, professionally worded and sticking to the facts, and perhaps expressing some surprise as you had been an admirer of the company and intended to continue to be a customer, then it might even get you a second chance - as long as you keep it very professional and factual.

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this.

Years ago I turned up for an interview which I was then kept waiting half an hour without being told anything, then before the interview they made me do this Excel spreadsheet which didn't really test anything (to see if I could make it look like the one they gave me) and then did the interview. When it got to the interview they asked me what I thought about the test. I replied that I had done plenty of tests at agencies on Excel and it might be preferable to do a test like that instead of the one they were asking their candidates to do. However by that stage I was so p*ssed off with their tardiness, I didn't want to work for them anyway so it wasn't really traumatic to not get a job there.

5. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Believe it or not, due to an awful series of mishaps, I had an experience similar to Ajax's, except I was the interviewer. :shuffle: And I did get a (deserved) earful from HR about how bad it looked to the candidate. I agreed and apologized to HR and the candidate as best I could.

A lot of companies do a formal census or survey of all candidates who decline their offers and will take action if something is amiss.

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

We do structured/behavior interviews, but the problem is that the consultant/HR people who make up the questions don't know how to tailor them for legal practice and we aren't supposed to change the questions. So the very best process for us is that we fill a lot of our slots with our outside counsel who might be looking for a lifestyle change from the billable hour. Then we know their work. That is how I got my job. I worked with these people for 4 years as outside counsel before I joined the company.

7. MacMadame

Yes, yes, they do. I have this one recruiter who calls me multiple times a day and sends email and when I don't return his calls (because I'm at work), he says in the email "do you have another number? That number doesn't seem to be working." :rolleyes: Dude, it's the middle of the day and I'm AT WORK.

Our company gets the questions from everyone so that's not an issue. The issue we have is that you can't determine technical competence from a STAR interview so we are on our own with that part and some do a better job than others.

8. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I agree on both counts. Perhaps this is top of mind because I'm in the middle of interviewing candidates and I just walked out of one where I really have no idea how the person would do. Socially, I'm sure she would fit fine, but she lacks experience in our area and there was absolutely nothing that would give me a sense of how quickly she would pick up on things.

Perhaps Louis's timed analysis and/or take-home exercise is the solution here. I'm not the hiring manager, though, and I'm not sure how something like that would be received at this stage.

This has worked pretty well for our department so far, too, starting with me. My current employer is my former client, I hired two former colleagues who are also contractors, I hired a woman who had interned for another department in the company, and I'd also hired someone who had been a client in my former job. Unfortunately with the two open positions we now have, I'm starting to feel like our resources are tapped out and anyone where I do know their work wouldn't be suitable. I'm not sure what the solution is at this point.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Ugh. :revenge: This is why I stopped posting my resume on Monster and making my contact information available there. All it attracted was low-level recruiters who wanted me for insurance sales positions. (I'm in investment research... the two have practically nothing to do with each other!) What's worse is they just wouldn't stop! They kept sending me emails and leaving voice messages on my phone, day after day after day. If I've never responded to a single one, can't they get a hint?

10. MacMadame

I finally got smart. No phone on my resume and I got a Google Voice number for my Dice profile. The calls have really died down and the emails have picked up. The emails are less intrusive and easier to deal with.

11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

My bf had a headhunter who bothered him every single day, and who left a very verbally abusive voicemail after he got a position without said headhunter's help. I don't have a very high opinion of them myself. :eek:

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Wow, that's incredible. Your boyfriend should report him to the headhunter's company.

13. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I was a line manager in a hotel years ago. I was always the person who interviewed the candidates, but I was not always the person who made the hiring decision. It depended on the mood of the general manager. Sometimes he was not involved at all, and sometimes he made the decision based on the person's application without actually meeting them. This, after I had contacted and interviewed the candidates.

So if you go on a job interview and think everything went well, and are surprised to find out you didn't get the job, that could be why.