Why are best ever debates only Kim vs Kwan wars

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Gabybackhand, May 7, 2013.

1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Nobody before the mid 80s current skating fans (for the most part) even know much about, and while they might admire, especialy Lynn, Fleming, Hamill, etc...dont know enough about to make an educated guess or claim or even opinion of them being the best ever. I dont think it is so much people just assume those are inferior, just that they are in a different time altogether and cant even accurately be compared as being better or worse. Amongst modern day champions the only ones who even come close to Kwan or Kim in achievements or status would be Witt, Yamaguchi, and maybe Slutskaya and of those:

Witt- was a great champion and competitor but not the best skater, even in her own era there were better skaters even though she always managed to beat them.

Yamaguchi- most people seem to think she was kind of boring, atleast as an amateur. Most everyone agrees she deserved her wins, but she wasnt the most memorable either.

Slutskaya- most seem to regard her as a sloppy and overrated skater (rightly or wrongly) and she usually lost to Kwan when it counted, unless one factors events like the Grand Prix final heavily.

2. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Well, I foresee the next poll as "Kim or Michelle or Yuna or Kwan. Which do you prefer?

A. Calling them by their first name.
    B. Calling them by their last name.

Do tell. Curious minds would like to know!!! :D

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Ludmila Nelidina only had a triple axel, and that was before COP started dinging skaters for ur. I don't know if she would have survived that. She was nowhere when compared to top skaters. She cannot be on the 'best ever' list- ever. I don't have a personal dislike for Nelidina; actually I would have liked to see her develop as a skater, but she did not (not sure why- injuries?)

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

No way FS became popular because of Nancy vs. Tonya (and Tonya's friends did not try to kill her; just whacked her knee). FS had been popular for several decades before that incident. It's just that TV ratings caught on a sensational story at a key time (94 Olympics). Ito, Yamaguchi (and even Lynn, Fleming, Hamill- to a lesser extent) have been discussed many times on this board. Fans of FS always paid attention to talented skaters, and their performances. They still reminisce about them. Instead, Nancy vs Tonya story is pretty much outdated now. FS will always have a smaller fan base than some of the mainstream sports in the USA.

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I strongly believe, and hope, the poster you were quoting was being funny when mentioning Nelidina. I also wondered what happened to her though.

6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

:soapbox: ... Not dead yet ... :rofl:

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  7. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

No, I was being sarcastic. I think she was known for having one of the most hideous camel spins ever. Other than the Axel, she was fairly bad.

8. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

You werent asking me but in most sports the best ever is the person who won the most. In tennis it is Federer and Graf. In swimming it is Phelps then Spitz. In alpine skiing it is Lindsay Vonn and Hermann Maier. In track and field it is Carl Lewis and Usian Bolt. In golf it is Nicklaus and then Woods. That is one reason figure skating is funny in that way in that the people who seem to be considered the best ever arent the people who won the most- in women Kim and Kwan and Lynn and Ito, none who have the best records, and in men Yagudin and Curry who also dont have the best records, and in pairs Gordeeva & Grinkov who havent won as much as Irina Rodnina. I am not saying it is wrong, but it is unique compared to other sports.

9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think because the other sports have results that aren't dependent on subjective/objective judging. Yes, there might be questionable referee calls or other such human factors, but skating is not unlike other judged sports where people debate the merits of one's actual skill rather than just results.

Look at the way football fans debate and analyze who is the best quarterback. It's a team sport, but there's still a lot of subjective debate regarding the objective numbers of yards, passes, interception, handling of pressure, etc. If we're just going by number of titles, you'd hear more support that Eli Manning is a better quarterback than Peyton Manning. And yet, that's not the case at all.

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I would say Yagudin and Gordeeva & Grinkov won more then enough to be considered the best ever. Part of why they didn't win even more was either injury for Yagudin or going pro with Gordeeva & Grinkov after 1990 but when they competed they both were dominate.

11. os168

os168 Active Member

MY FSU Les Miserable experience:
    One more Trolll.... one more Polll... one Day more!!!

(hummed with fondness)

I am still gutted Michelle is not doing Yuna's next Ice show themed Les Mis. She'd make an amazing Fontine.... think of the thousands of water works she can switch on and off at a drop of a blade. Oh Michelle~~

12. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Active Member

Kim is overrated now since she is a current skater. Once she is retired there will be less hype about her.

13. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

The historic importance of Yu-Na will be judged in how successfully she inspires future growth in Korean skating.