Why all the Amber Corwin bashing?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shady82, May 10, 2010.

1. shady82

shady82 New Member

I have often noticed that when someone wants to name a low-achieving skater, Amber Corwin comes up.

I was just wondering, why is that? :lol: Is it because of her:
    1. Horrible cheats
    2. Laybacks that Dick hates
    3. Practice outfits

According to Frogs On Ice, 2001 US Nationals: "In practices in Boston, people were talking as much about Amber's sleazy practice outfits as they were about her skating. In one practice that I saw, she was wearing a leotard with so little fabric on the bottom that she had a permanent wedgie that she was continually pulling out again. I was told that at another practice, she was wearing transparent white leggings with thong underwear clearly visible underneath -- well, it would have been worse if she hadn't been wearing underwear....."

4. Tiara
    5. Zzzzzzzzzz long programs
    6. Results

Maybe it's all of them. Hmmm... But I find it very funny. She has many amazing points: a never-failing 3toe-3toe, designing her own costumes, a degree in fashion merchandising, FSU Gay Icon status. Her Strawberry Tango program is very alluring.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: never-failing in its underrotation.

3. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Reason 7 !!

4. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Yes, we use "triple toe" loosely. :lol:

I'd never heard about the sleazy outfits before. Wasn't she a fashion major in college and designed all of her costumes?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Between her pre-rotation, under-rotation and a host of millions of other jump technique issues, she'd be on a permanent -3 GOE from me.
    :EVILLE:

6. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Funny to think that under CoP, those 3-3's never would have counted, she probably would have ditched them immediately and not spent all those years trying to pull the wool over our/judges' eyes, and she'd probably never even be as much of a contender as she was. She had some nice points though.

7. jlai

jlai Title-less

For all her technical weaknesses, Corwin had gotten more out of her career than other skaters triple her talent. That's one skater I can honestly say, she made a good career given what she had.

Another skater I can say the same about is Ryan Bradley. :shuffle: (OF course, let's wait until he retires to conclude...)

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

From me too. And I'm not a hater since I really liked her 2006 LP to "U Plavu Zoru"...

9. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

The 3-3's were ratified in the years that Amber competed under CoP (2003-2006), but they definitely wouldn't have been ratified under today's calling standards.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

But the standards were the same back then? :confused:

11. IceKween

IceKween New Member

I wouldn't call it Amber bashing. Heck, she did more with her modicum of talent than anyone would have thought. The problem was that there was just nothing RIGHT about her skating. Her inherent movement and carriage was all wrong, reminiscent of Sarah Hughes. She really didn't have any reliable "triple". Her sal and toe were basically 2axels. Plus she fell all the time or severely underrotated on the higher triples. Her Audrey Hepburn routine with the same plastic tiara my sister had growing up was either gay icon status worthy or just flat out WRONG, hard to even figure that one out it was so WTF.
    Also, at 27 years of age with a fashion degree, one would have expected her presentation via costuming and makeup to have been considerably better. What junior college did she get that degree from? They should rescind it.

12. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

That tiara was REAL, I tell ya. She stole it from Shepherd Clark!

13. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Yeah, did you notice when he created a whole bunch of publicity about his 100K dollar costume and then he withdrew in tears? So we never got to see this costume. Maybe Amber stole a few rhinestones off that costume and glued them on to her Princess Aurora tiara.

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

FWIW I think a lot of people in skating thought she should have gone off and done something else when it became apparent that she wasn't going to be pushed to the top - and so they resented her hanging around long past her alleged "prime".

Plastic tiara aside, I always really liked her skating and thought she had some very interesting programs. I was also impressed that she seemed to keep competing just because she enjoyed it.

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:rofl: ah, memories. We had STAHS then :respec:

Amber was not a purty skater, I thought some of her positions were downright awkward, but she did stick it out as long as Kwan did, if not longer. And she got that degree, which is hard for a skater to do while eligible.

But I could swear her 3/3s were downgraded even under 6.0 at one point or another; I just can't remember the comps where this happened....can someone confirm this?

16. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

How could you tell?

Required elements score lower than presentation score in a short program, suggestive of a mandatory deductions? But how would you even know what the deduction was for?

Or maybe the judges just thought the technique had some other weaknesses on the jump combination or elsewhere, but the presentation was better than the technique.

17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Her 3/3 was not really underrotated, but it was badly prerotated.
    I don't know if prerotation are as bad as underrotation under the new CoP.

18. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Kimmie's 3 toe axel got ratified under CoP, but that was in the early days of inception.

19. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

As far as I know, Kimmie only landed the 3 Axle once, at 2005 Nationals. That was the last nationals that was judged under 6.0.

20. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

IceJunkie was referring to Kimmie's triple-toeloop (the so-called "toe axel").

21. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

How were her sal and toe double axels? That doesn't make any sense to me.

22. shady82

shady82 New Member

I guess maybe because they were so prerotated, it was basically 2.5 rotations, I'm not sure though..

Anyhow, it was clear the judges dinged Amber for her jump technicque, I remember her technical scores were always low even when she skated cleanly (as low as 4.3 in the 2002 NHK Trophy and 5.2-5.7 for 7 triples at the 2001 US Nationals). :yikes: And because of CoP's absurd underrotation rules, should would be screwed now..

And you guys should check this site out (takes awhile to scroll down though): http://www.craigheath.com/craigarticles.htm

Amber's Ideal Day:
    "my perfect day would be to wake up at my beach house, walking to Pilates class while drinking a double tall, nonfat, extra hot latte with two raw sugars from Starbucks, listening to Sting, followed by a game of beach volleyball, lunch at an outside cafe with friends, a sushi dinner, going to a Madonna concert in the evening and finally sitting in a nice, quaint martini lounge with Diana Krall playing in the background."

:lol:

23. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

There you have it. Carrie Bradshaw can really skate!

24. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

a.) When I was looking up what I'm about to say, I found this oddity: Corwin: The Chronicles of Amber

b.) I think this is pretty legendary: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpchn05/SEG003.HTM

I remember that date (Where were you when man landed on the moon?) - I had just joined FSU, and one of the first PBP threads I ever read contained a ton of, "WTF did Amber Corwin do to score 11 points TES in the SP?" It wasn't an incomplete program, no freak malfunction, and she wasn't an OES/OOS/OAS/ONAS. Daaayum. I think that's your #8.

c.) There's something I've been wanting to say for years that I've only ever thought to myself, but it's so incredibly rude I can't say it here. But it would totally be reason #9.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  25. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

She often prerotated those jumps, meaning by the time she launched herself into the air, her body was pretty much already facing forward like it would be with an axel jump--essentially making the jump easier to complete since, technically, only 2.5 revolutions were actually done in the air.

It was a common tactic Amber used to disguise her jumping weaknesses.

26. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

A journey well begun is half finished. :slinkaway

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

You can tell us :sekret:.

28. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Wasn't it more pre-rotation?

29. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

She did have a remarkably long and fairly consistent career, during an era of baby ballerinas and jumping bean flameouts. so good for her to have showed up at US nationals well trained. She did seem to be the consummate student/athlete, determined to get her degree.

I admit I did crack up at the tiara and headband diva outfits.

For that alone, she earned icon status. Every year at nationals, the question would be: WTF is Amber wearing?

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I preferred that tiara to the headbands. Those things make her look like she had a rash on her forehead.