Whose Don Quixote performance did you like the best?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Feb 13, 2011.

?

Which Don Quixote FS performances(2) did you like the best?

Poll closed May 14, 2011.
  1. Viktor Petrenko (LP)

8 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Yuka Sato (LP)

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Takeshi Honda (SP)

13 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Irina Slutskaya (LP)

10 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. John Curry (LP)

60 vote(s)
    48.4%
  6. Mishkutenok-Dmitriev (SP)

27 vote(s)
    21.8%
  7. Shishkova-Naumov (LP)

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. Other

16 vote(s)
    12.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Glad to see Curry has the largest percentage by far. I couldn't bring myself to vote for anybody else, it's that good.

2. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

Ditto!

3. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Holy sh*t. Plushy's skating was sooo much more likable back then. Such confidence and classic elegance without appearing cocky or over-the-top. As soon as he turned seniors, he took that confident projection to a new level, the sincerity disappeared and he got off the right track IMO. What a shame, he really could've been so much more.

OTOH, I/K :swoon:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I liked hers too. I miss her.

let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Just like Samson, Plushy drew his over-the-top cockiness and strength from the length of his mullet :lol:

6. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

More than a decade ago someone posted a hilarious skating parody set to the tune, "The Hokey Pokey." I can only remember the first verse but it went something like this.

Strike a pose.
    Put your hand on your hip.
    Stick your hand in the air and wave it all about.
    You do the Don Quixote and flail around.
    That's what it's all about.

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I agree. that was AMAZING !
    This is the first time I watch it and I'm impressed. Of course, I knew he was a phenomenal skater, but in this video, he shows style, elegance and musicality.

8. Maximillian

Maximillian Well-Known Member

Tiffany used this piece a lot as the majority of her programs were essentially the same three pieces of music pasted together in different variations.

9. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I voted for Mish/Dmitriev, but I also really like I/K's FD - it gets better every time I see it. I/K and M/D are without doubt my 2 fav DQs.

10. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

I guess it's politically correct to vote for Curry. Cleanness of line, use of the music etc and all excellent. But I voted for M & D.

Watched them both live doing their DQ. John Curry at 1975 Brit nationals and M&D in 1992 Olympics. The pair had a greater effect on me. Perhaps I wasn't the least bit bit mature in 1975 (and that would be on the money).

John Curry was a lovely skater.... and I always felt a little bit bored. (a politically incorrect comment).

I liked action. Triple jumps were becoming more common throughout the mens field in the mid 70's. It was exciting and new. First the men, then the women, then pairs. Barriers and boundaries started tumbling.

Dorothy Hamill was the last woman to win Olympics without a triple if I recall correctly. A lot happened technically in the mid 70's. Certainly the short program was invented by the late 70's.

The sport came out of the dark ages .......... and contemporary music became popular - maybe not for the judges, but it was a preferred choice for the young people who were competing.

there's my thoughts - FWTAW

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Why would it be politically correct ? I guess it depends on what you like in FS. ;)

let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  12. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

It would be John Curry for me and Alizah Allen's 1997 US Nat long program (her dedication to JC)

13. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

Oh I love it :lol:

14. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Huh??? What does PC have to do with this poll? Voting for Curry's DQ has absolutely nothing to do with being PC but everything to do with it simply being the best choreographed and best performance on ice to DQ. EVER.

15. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Wow, to see Curry skate in person, must have been such an exciting memory for you.