Whose career would you rather have at this point- Sotnikova or Lipnitskaya

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by poirierpaul, Apr 4, 2014.

?

Whose career would you rather have- Sotnikova or Lipnitskaya

1. Sotnikova

37 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Lipnitskaya

85 vote(s)
    69.7%
  1. poirierpaul

poirierpaul Member

Since I noticed the comparision between Kwan and Kim I think a far more interesting one is Sotnikova vs Lipnitskaya. Both have an Olympic gold. Sotnikova's is an individual gold which would usually mean more. However Lipnitskaya single handedly won her teams gold, her margin of points won over the inferior Osmond was more than their margin of victory. Meanwhile Sotnikova's gold is so filled with massive controversy and strong belief of collusion and fixing, it devalues it somewhat. Then when you consider Julia has Sotnikova well beat in other areas- European Champion, grand prix results, World silver, I would probably go with Lipnitskaya.

2. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

"Call no man happy until he is dead."

It's way to early to tell. Both could have great things ahead of them.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Thus far, Julia. But only so I wouldn't have had to wear that atrocious costume Sotnikova wore at the beginning of the season.

4. apatinar

apatinar New Member

Definitely Julia.. I don't know how Adelina must feel knowing that she has so many people outside of Russia (and Japan) who are questioning her title.. She couldn't even show herself at worlds... At least with Julia, everything that she earns will be on her own merit since I believe that there are no major championships being held in Russia through 2018

5. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I think Julia has a lot more promise..Also her legacy won't be tainted

6. apatinar

apatinar New Member

exactly!

7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Julia, because most people wouldn't be saying I didn't deserve my titles, and I think Julia is likely to experience more success, while we may not see Sotnikova skating in 'amateur' competition again. If she does come back, she may not be able to repeat her success, and people will continue to say it was a fluke/undeserved/fixed.

8. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly.

Sot's career may have been aborted. She really wasn't ready for the OGM and it is a shame, because she has so much promise.

9. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Lip. Despite being overmarked in the team competition, she still has more respect from her peers and other skating professionals than Sotnikova.

10. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Lipnitskaya easily. Her Olympic gold is worth more than Sotnikova's, perhaps the one time in history a team gold will mean more than an individual gold, and the rest of her career blows Sotnikova's of the water. Nobody cares about Russian Nationals, the most corrupt competition given that it is hosted by the most corrupt figure skating nation which comes up with results like the Olympic one.

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Well, Lipnitskaya managed to qualify to GPF on her first try (wd last year), medal at her first GPF (this year), win her first Euros, win Team Gold, and medal at her first Worlds. Sotnikova took 3 seasons to make GPF and has not won a GPF or World medal or European championship. OTOH, Lipnitskaya was able to easily match the accomplishments Sotnikova had as a junior (sweeping all international events in her first season). And I'm of the opinion that Lipnitskaya's performance in the Team Event was better than Sotnikova's in the individual.

Still, I doubt Sotnikova would trade her OGM for any of those honors, so it's hard to say.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

At this point I bet Sotnikova would trade her tainted OGM for an Olympic silver or bronze medal. That is the only thing that might save her career going forward. At the very least she would trade her tainted Olympic singles gold for Julia's Olympic team gold which she was the star of and made her a darling of the whole world in a heartbeat.

13. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I'd take Sotnikova because even if her gold medal win was a farce, she is imo a way better skater than Lipnitskaya. I would never rave about Sotnikova's skating skills, but she makes Lipnitskaya look like a novice (if she doesn't already). I don't know how the judges somehow forget to look at Lip's bottom half when she's skating, it's almost reminiscent of Sasha Cohen with regards to that.

Purely taking into account their careers. Sotnikova won a ladies Olympic title and sketchy or not, that is clearly better than a world silver on paper. Does anyone even count the team event medals for anything? I don't value it enough to push a world silver over an olympic gold. I'm not too concerned over the GPF in this case, and Euros they're not too far off from each other.

14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Oh boy. Why blame Sotnikova for the politics and the judging? All Adelina did was go out there and skate the best she had all year. Left off the Olympic team event, Adelina was inspired and determined. IMHO, Sotnikova is a more talented jumper and has better artistry than Julia L. Both need more maturity and experience, and also better costuming as well as consistently good music selection and choreography (albeit Julia had a better fp this year which enabled her to exhibit her strengths to good advantage). Sotnikova has not proven to be as consistent as Julia L, but still I think Sotnikova and Radionova are more well-rounded than Julia L, whose presentation is very studied and immature.

I wonder how those criticizing Sotnikova would feel had it been Julia L winning Olympic gold, as clearly the Russians desired to take it all with Lip if possible in the ladies' singles after Lip created a buzz in the team event. We knew a Russian lady was bound to be on the podium, but the Russians got giddy with gold fever and Sotnikova skated with a great deal of fire in the sp, and was pretty good in the fp, except for her stumble out on third jump of 3-jump combo. I don't think Sotnikova's PCS scores should have been that high, but neither should Julia L's in the singles and in the team event!

ETA:
    Why would Julia L have "more respect from her peers and other skating professionals" btw fenway? That assessment would seem to have more to do with personality than anything to do with talent, since both are talented and to a degree Adelina is a more talented jumper and better artistically. Both need much better packaging, and as I said more maturity and experience.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  15. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I would go with Yulia. I do think that Adelina absolutely deserved her OGM, but it just feels that Lipnitskaya made a much bigger impact over this season. Despite Adenina's gold it feels like Yulia is a bigger star at the moment.

16. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

It doesnt matter whether she deserves the controversy to diminish her (I agree it shouldnt, although her Olympic gold should not be valued as highly as others all the same). However the reality is to most who follow skating it does, and that is paramount in this comparision.

As for better artistry, please, Sotnikova has NO artistry. Ugly lines, ugly positions, no musicality, just okish skating skills, awful choreography. Atleast Julia has some nice programs and interpretive abilities.

Julia's spins are much better than anything Sotnikova has in her skating.

Sotnikova has bigger jumps that Julia but they are out of control and wild, with poor rotations, positions, and landings, even when landed properly, and that is why she is so inconsistent to begin with.

17. aftershocks

Well, its all in the eye of the beholder, eh? I think Julia has immature and very studied "interpretation." And, to borrow the words of Dick Button, Julia often exhibits a "pained expression" which should not be construed as good artistry or better than average interpretive skill.

Just because Julia is like a circus acrobat with her extension during spins, does not mean she's a great spinner or a well-rounded skater with great artistic interpretation. Julia has decent technique and is a fairly consistent jumper, but she has a very poor double axel and very smallish jumps overall.

ETA:
    I don't think Sotnikova is the best thing since sliced bread and she's not my favorite ladies skater, nor my favorite Russian ladies skater of the current crop either. However, if a gold was gonna be placed around a Russian female's neck, as it was, and Sotnikova did not skate as poorly as Julia in the singles, then I'm okay with Sotnikova over Julia L. I can't wait until Radionova grows up a bit more, as of all the current Russian ladies (including Pogo), I'm more partial to Radionova. :)

Sotnikova definitely needs to learn how to reign in her talent. She could surely benefit from some Frank Carroll polishing/ tutoring, but so could a lot of ladies.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  18. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

If you're doing Schindler's List, what exactly would be more effective than "pained expression" I wonder.

19. aftershocks

^^ :lol: Well, I guess I'd have to opt for something a bit more genuine and deeply felt, and way less studied, but I wouldn't expect it from most 15-year-olds. ;)

I think Paul Wylie's Schindler's List beats them all, btw. (Elene Gedevanishvilli did a beautiful job with SL for her sp one season, but unfortunately she was not consistent and appeared to have problems competitively as she matured).

20. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

Tbh, I find most skaters trying to be expressive facially not very successful at it (and I really dislike watching someone skate with a giant smile the entire program regardless of what their program is actually about). It's a skating competition, not an acting showcase.

21. aftershocks

Then you must hate watching ice dancers close-up. :D

22. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

I don't watch ice dancing lol.

23. aftershocks

Awww. I'm not an expert at ice dancing as some people are on FSU, but I do enjoy watching the top teams.

It looks like starting out for fun as an adult, ice dancing would be the way to go (of course, without all the physically demanding lifts, etc, but some of the pattern dances would be fun to try). And what's wrong with putting a smile on your face and gliding around the ice rink? :)

24. hertmirsh

hertmirsh Member

Sotnikova's win has caused such an enormous stink and is so completely accepted by most of the population even aware of skating to be so related to political non skating that it now carries the value of an Olympic silver at best (still probably more than the Olympic bronze which is what she deserved at best). Julia was so amazing and dominant over the other ladies, and her performances and results were so pivotal to Russia's team gold I would say her team gold is worth atleast an individual silver, if not slightly more. So all that said between the two I would say Julia's gold is worth more than Adelina's. If you disagree with me though, then I would say an olympic gold of any kind combined with a world silver, grand prix final silver, Europeans gold trumps a very bad and controversial Olympic gold with just a European silver.

Euros is not the same. A title always beats a couple silvers, especialy when you first in your first attempt. Worlds Julia wins silver in her debut and Adelina 9th in her only appearance, and too scared to make her 2nd.

25. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

^ you're right I'm just bitter that Julia gets unwarranted GOE (jumps) and PCS at all her events while skaters who have much better quality jumps and skating get hosed in comparison :p

Obviously I'm leaving out the Olympics from that because we all know Sot got the biggest cake of all in terms of inflated everything at that event.

26. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Julia! Way better wardrobe.

Actually, I think Julia has a great career in front of her. Unfortunately, Adelina will always be measured by her (suspicious) win at the Olympics. If she does poorly, it will be more ammunition for those who think she did not deserve OLY Gold, and if she does well, it will be viewed (unless she has one or two seasons of only Golds and Silvers) as an exception. (i.e. Michelle's losses were always an exception to her skating. A fluke).

Julia has none of that. She just takes the ice and is judged (by fans) for her skate and results.

As to her facial expressions. When she is skating I suspect she is concentrating. Has anyone considered that she is shy? I am shy. I can speak in front of hundreds, no problem, but don't make me go to a cocktail party! I am usually judged as haughty, snobby, stuck up, etc. But I know I am just scared and uncomfortable. Could be the same for Julia in the K&K. Just saying.

27. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Sotnikova. She has an Olympic Gold Medal, it is still what everyone trains for. Figure skating is such a precarious sport, who knows what the future holds for these two, but Adelina already has the biggest prize, regardless of how controversial it is. Honestly, I doubt she has any second thoughts about the win, nor do most of her circle and fans in Russia.

28. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Julia has an Olympic gold too. So that is no edge for Sotnikova. If she had no second thoughts about her win she would have showed up at Worlds.

29. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't think that is true. It is not uncommon at all for gold medalists to not show up at Worlds. She may be capitalizing on other opportunities that winning the medal brought her. The time to do that is very short for most Olympians these days, you have to strike while the iron is hot. I'm not sure we would have seen Hanyu if Worlds was not in Japan. We didn't see V/T or D/W.

30. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

This is not true at all. It is very uncommon for an OGM who is not retiring or injured to skip worlds. The only previous one who did that ever was Sarah Hughes, if she even counts given her pitiful 1 year return to competition. Everyone else was retiring (most) or in rare cases out with injury. V&T were injured. D&W are retiring. Granted Sotnikova might be retiring too, but if she does that says even more about the doubts she has of her own win.