Whose been the best since Katarina Witt retired?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Mar 17, 2011.

?

Who has been the best since Katarina Witt retired

Poll closed Apr 16, 2011.
  1. Mao Asada

28 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Oksana Baiul

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  3. Midori Ito

18 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. Michelle Kwan

176 vote(s)
    43.2%
  5. Tara Lipinski

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Irina Slutskaya

17 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Kristi Yamaguchi

11 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. Kim Yu Na

143 vote(s)
    35.1%
  9. Sasha Cohen

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. Shizuka Arakawa

7 vote(s)
    1.7%
  11. Sarah Hughes

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  12. Other

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  1. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

2004 Worlds was the beginning of Kostner being overmarked. Her winning bronze over Kwan at 2005 Worlds was a joke IMO. They were definitely grooming her for a medal for Torino.

I find it ironic the one time she skated a decent free skate at Worlds (2010, in Torino no less), she was not held up.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Re 2004 Worlds - didn't Shiz ur the back-ends of both 3-3s? Perhaps this and the fact she was the 1st skater are the reasons why no 6.0s were thrown out.

3. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Yes, to me they were underrotated but somehow they were ratified.

4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

And that was no slam. If it weren't for the questionable rotations, I'd rank her '04 Worlds performance as the performance of the past decade

5. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

At Worlds in 2004, Kwan lost the FS to Arakawa .. who did one of the most technically advanced programs ever done by a lady at Worlds. By 2005, Kwan's hip was shot.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Kwan could have won the free skate at the 2004 Worlds and she still would have placed only 3rd overall. She lost since she had bombed the qualifying round and not done as well as she would have liked in the short.

7. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Comparing basketball to running is not the same as comparing someone who does axels, toe loops, flips, lutz, camel spins, sit spins, same compulsory dances, pairs skating, school figures etc... You don't think these are similar? I'm so glad Yuna does the invert, as now more ice people will be trying to perfect it. That's called progress. There have been a few over the years on ice who have had great (almost) inverts, Yuna has the best I've seen on ice. Don't start with the "roller skaters can't edge" as that's simply not true. Of course they have to edge, some roller skaters may not be as deep as others, but this happens in ice too. Apart from the heel camel and the inverted camel, ice skaters can do more different positions that roller skaters in spins, so I'd be interested to know which positions are easier for roller skaters to take command of.

8. artsciboy

artsciboy New Member

I'm disappointed that Butyrskaya isn't an option. She delivered one of the very few 7-triple performances to win Worlds.

Her technique was also fantastic - yes, she let the nerves get to her in competition, causing her to have misses and stiff jumps. But when she was "on" like at '99 Worlds, '00 Worlds SP, '98 - '00 Europeans, etc. her jumps were awesome. She was also able to truly interpret the music. She gets my vote.

9. judgejudy27

Why would Butyrskaya be an option when she beat Kwan only 2 times in their 8 years competing against each other, was generally dominated in her own era by Kwan, Slutskaya, Lipinski, Chen, Hughes, and Cohen, was only even a contender for the gold medal 2 or 3 times her whole long senior career, won only 3 World medals and no Olympic medals, never won the GP final, was not a standout either technically, artistically, or in terms of consistency, was gangly and awkward overall, and blew it badly in her two of her three biggest long programs ever- when trying to defend her World title in 2000 and trying to win an Olympic medal in 1998. Even if she were more consistent she wouldnt be that great a skater though if she had defended her World title in 2000 her rep for the final 2 seasons might have carried her to a brighter overall career, especialy provided she miracelously pulled out some clean long programs which she almost never did anyway.

If you have Butyrskaya as an option you might as well have Jill Trenary or Surya Bonaly. They are skaters of about her level of success, importance in their own time, and overall ability and consistency.

10. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

^The 7 triple comment is pretty curious to me too. Hasn't every single ladies champ since 91 landed a 6 or 7 triple LP. Even if you include 89 and 90, wasn't Jill the only one with less than 6. One extra triple that plenty of others like Kwan, Lipinski, Meisner etc.. did anyway, just seems like such a petty detail to focus on. At that rate, why not just list Kimmie in the poll and give us all a good chuckle! :lol:

ETA: oh, maybe Baiul in 93 and Yuka in 94 only did 5? Lulu in 95 I guess was only 5. Boy, there really was a dip there.

11. duane

duane New Member

To many, Janet Lynn is the best skater who ever lived. We all have our own opinion as to what "best" means, and to some, it's not decided on medals.

12. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

ITA!

13. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Definitely!

But to be fair, Lynn pretty much won the free skate of almost every comp she entered with very high marks, so.... it's kinda sorta the same thing as going by medals as an indication of greatness. Now, had you said Kathryn Healey..:shuffle:

14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

1971 Worlds. The French people were so outraged that Janet didn't win a medal despite being clearly the best free skater that at the awards ceremony Janet had to take a bow as the crowd kept shouting her name. When is the last time you saw a skater who didn't even win a medal have to do something like that in an event like the World Championships? Now that's respect. Because of this incident they came up with the SP soon after. That's all you need to know about Janet Lynn. She changed skating forever.

15. fdevine

fdevine New Member

This is the most interesting, entertaining and informative thread I've read in a long time. Thanks everyone.

Frances

16. Ella-skater

Ella-skater New Member

IMO Katarina Wiitt has been the greatest skater, I totally loved her performance in the Olympics of 1988. http://www.olympic.org/figure-skating-individual-women
    It was BEAUTIFUL!
    But nowadays, I think Yu na Kim is the STAR. Her performance at the last Olympics brought me to tears.

17. judgejudy27

I am amazed Kim and even Kwan have so many more votes than Ito considering how popular Ito has seemed to be on this forum. Also Irina Slutskaya who is often ridiculed and dissed on this forum with only 1 less vote than Ito, wow. Maybe the Ito fan base have mostly jumped ship to Kim as their new favorite, while the Kwan supporters have remained intact. Also funny to see the Olympic Champions of 94-2002 with a combined 4 only votes (not surprising though).

18. Amy03

Amy03 Member

well i missed this poll but if i could still vote my vote would definitely go to Mao Asada, i simply LOVE everything about her skating her jumps, her spins, spiral, step sequence her lightness, flexibility, line, posture, graceful movement, everything about her skating is breathtaking and exiting to watch... Mao simply has the whole package, which is why i chose her....
    as much that i like all the other skaters they never really made the same impact on me that mao did!!

19. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I love Mao, but for this poll I would probably go with Michelle Kwan (I must have voted but I don't remember when or for who, but most probably it was Michelle). She was the most complete package, IMO. I adored Midori, but again for this poll my vote goes to Michelle.

20. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

There are some that think Midori bested Katarina before she retired, even if the scoring said otherwise ;)

21. Vash01

Midori placed low because of school figures. In terms of skating content, she was way ahead of her time. Her LP was much more difficult than Witt, who just posed in the middle of her program instead of skating. Those days ladies got away with it.

22. judgejudy27

Unfortunately Ito was much too weak at figures to have any chance of a major title before 89 despite her revolutionary free skating. Witt was really held up often in figures though. I have seen clips of her doing figures and they were often quite weak. I imagine there was probably a push to raise her up in figures so she could win major titles as she was the star the sport needed back in 84. Her figures placings from 83 and earlier and probably what she always deserved, as from the various clips of her doing figures I cant believe she was legitimately better than say someone like Jill Trenary who she always beat in figures placings somehow, always by several placings to boot. Her Calgary figures that they showed looked pathetic, she must have been held up to finish 3rd and be sitting 2nd midway through.

23. Vash01

OT: whatever happened to the return of figures as a separate discipline in the Olympics?