Whose been the best since Katarina Witt retired?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Mar 17, 2011.

?

Who has been the best since Katarina Witt retired

Poll closed Apr 16, 2011.
  1. Mao Asada

28 vote(s)
    6.9%
  2. Oksana Baiul

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  3. Midori Ito

18 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. Michelle Kwan

176 vote(s)
    43.2%
  5. Tara Lipinski

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Irina Slutskaya

17 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Kristi Yamaguchi

11 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. Kim Yu Na

143 vote(s)
    35.1%
  9. Sasha Cohen

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. Shizuka Arakawa

7 vote(s)
    1.7%
  11. Sarah Hughes

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  12. Other

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't believe Witt ever attempted a 3flip at World. The only time I can recall her even attempting one was at 83 European, and that one was two-footed.

2. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

If we're talking about complete packages, the person most robbed in 1984 was Zayak. Her short and free programs were crowd - pleasing and dynamic. Her jumps and spins looked easy, and she had great connecting elements. She would have done very well under CoP.

As a professional, I loved Rosalynn Sumners. She truly grew into a show skater with a distinct look of her own. As an eligible, she gave off too much of a princess quality. Her triple jumps looked difficult and swingy as well.

Chin was great, too, but her music cuts were just god - awful.

3. miki88

miki88 New Member

Witt was like a modern Sonja Henie. She brought a lot of glamor and star quality to the sport. It could be argued that no one after her has achieved as much international fame for the sport. But of course her fame wasn't all due to her skating. ;)

I personally liked Tiffany Chin's skating the most from that era. Unfortunately, her potential was never fully realized.

4. floskate

floskate Vacant

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Beautiful explanation as to why Witt was a winner, even if a handful of other skaters were better!

Roz had beautiful basics, but she was not really a strong jumper. Her triples always looked 'eked-out' even when she was on.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I remember right but at NHK 87 didnt Witt also bomb the short program and end up 3rd ahed of a young Kerrigan who skated cleanly? If so she didnt even deserve to be in position to catch Ito after the short (not that she deserved to win the long program with that skate either).

I agree she was the consumate competitor, performer, and star though. She was the kind of star who transcended into the regular sports Worlds. That is why it is hard to define her as an actual skater, since it was those things more than her actual skating ability that made her such an amazing champion.

7. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

This excellent discussion on 1980's ladies figure skating has just reminded me of something. In 1990 Worlds, the person in second place going into the LP (and ahead of both Jill Trenary and Midori Ito who would end up in first and second places respectfully at the end of the LP) was Holly Cook! Remember her? She finished 4th in the free and that was enough to keep her ahead of Kristi Yamaguchi. Accordingly, she ended up winning the bronze.

What ever happened to Holly? She finished 6th in Nationals the following season and then just disappeared.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  8. judgejudy27

The death of figures was the death of Cook's career and many like her. She was never going to be competitive with Yamaguchi, Harding, Kerrigan, or Trenary in free skating. She wouldnt have even made the 1990 World team without figures since Kerrigan beat her in both the short and long programs at Nationals. Heck she wouldnt have even made it with figures had Harding not been sick and bombed her performance.

To be honest I was pretty stunned at her marks at the 1990 Worlds. I didnt see what was better about her performances than people like Lebedeva for example. She did a good job stepping in and being pretty consistent in all 3 phases when nearly all the favorites screwed up in one of the phases and that kept her in contention and ultimately put her on the podium. The margin in quality between her and Yamaguchi in the short and long programs was huge, but the field was so weak that year still nobody slotted in between them in either. I always was pretty sure her 90 Worlds medal was going to be a one off for her, especialy with figures gone.

I think she retired since the 91 Nationals showed she wasnt competitive anymore post figures.

9. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

It was a different class and school of skating than it is, today.
    There were figures being taught and less difficult jumps done in competition by most.
    Artistic was actually valued by judges. lol

Katarina & women like Midori Ito were different for their time.

10. Amy03

Amy03 Member

well there were many great skaters after witt, there is michelle kwan, midori ito, mao asada, yuna kim.... but the skater that moves me the most is definitly asada, so my vote goes to her...

11. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I'm quite amazed that Sasha Cohen, Sarah Hughes, and Oksana Baiul made this poll while the likes of Yuka Sato, Chen Lu, and Maria Butyrskaya didn't . . . just saying. :shuffle::slinkaway

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  12. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

^Yes! Lu Chen!

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Just wondering, was Katarina good at figures? Yes?

14. olympic

Eh. Not really good.

1983 - 8th
    1984 O - 3d
    1984 W - 1st
    1985 - 3d
    1986 - 3d
    1987 - 5th
    1988 O - 3d
    1988 W - 1st

15. judgejudy27

She was 3rd or higher nearly everytime which would suggest the judges rated her as very good at them. She never was below someone like Trenary who supposably had great figures. Whether she actually was in another matter perhaps.

16. miki88

miki88 New Member

She's in my top ten! :respec:

17. judgejudy27

LOL who would vote for Butyrskaya who was never a serious rival to Kwan or even Slutskaya and was also outshone by Lipinski, Hughes, Cohen, Chen, and others in her own era.

And Sato wasnt a great amateur skater, she won a B Worlds with all the big guns out and otherwise won no major medals. She was an amazing pro skater though.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Well, looking at these poll results nobody voted for Lipinski, Baiul or Hughes either :lol:.

I'm surprised that Cohen only got one vote though. I know she didn't have the most successful amateur career (though looking back, she got a respectable amount of hardware), but I was sure she had fans who simply appreciated her skating.

19. miki88

miki88 New Member

Hmm.. I think the OP should be clearer on what he/she means the "best". Is it best as in actual skating skills or competitiveness (as measured in medals)? Cause the list will change depending on which one takes more priority.

20. judgejudy27

Well you only needed 6 poll options anyway really. Kwan, Yamaguchi, Ito, Kim, Asada, and Slutskaya. The rest are redundant.

21. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Seems perfectly clear to me.

We are not voting on best vault or best beam... we are voting on best all around.

The best is just that: THE best. Not the best at one foot step sequences, or the best at COI spirals.

22. midas777

midas777 New Member

Even though I don't know exactly the difference between "the Best" and "the Greatest",
    for me, at least for now, "the best" is Kim Yuna and "the greatest" is Michelle Kwan".

23. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Probably a better way to do this type of poll then is to comprise a list of skaters we can nominate who were known to have the best jumps, the best spins, the best footwork, the best skating skills (speed, edges), the best choreography, and the best musical interpretation, and have the 12 skaters with the highest vote counts from each category meet head-to-head in a Best All Around Final Poll. :p

24. judgejudy27

I think the best is Kim or Ito and the greatest is Kwan or Yamaguchi. If they all were in their primes together at their best Kim and Ito would beat all the others, but Kwan and Yamaguchi have the best competitive records. The most talented overall is probably Asada but she hasnt fulfilled her potential as a skater yet.

25. miki88

miki88 New Member

Great idea. Although, I feel in the end, Michelle would probably win in the best all around poll, so the result won't change. ;)
    But at least, great skaters like Lu Chen, Yuka Sato, etc. can be mentioned.

26. olympic

Yes, but almost always behind Thomas, Ivanova, and Sumners

27. midas777

midas777 New Member

Haha I agree with you, judgejudy27. But Let's decide later who will be "the best and the greatest yet to come".

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  28. AnnieBgood

AnnieBgood Active Member

I almost voted for Sasha, but I couldn't ignore Yu Na.

29. judgejudy27

Sasha clearly wasnt better than Kwan who was the exact same type of skater and did everything better than Sasha (unlike say Irina who is a different type of skater altogether)
    so I am not surprised Sasha has almost no votes.

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I agree with you for the most part except that Sasha was clearly a better spinner.