Who's your favoritt male french skater?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SmallFairy, May 1, 2014.

?

Who's your favourite French male skater?

1. Philippe Candeloro

13.6%
  2. Eric Millot

9.1%
  3. Laurent Tobel

6.8%
  4. Brian Joubert

45.5%
  5. Frédéric Dambier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Vincent Restencourt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Stanick Jeannette

6.8%
  8. Yannick Ponsero

12.5%
  9. Alban Preaubert

1.1%
  10. Florent Amodio

2.3%
  11. Chafik Besseghier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other (please specify)

2.3%
  1. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I agree that Brian was more successful than most of his contemporaries, and people forget that. I think what some people are saying is that if he had done more choreographically and in terms of footwork and movement in between the jumps, he might have won another World title or had a better chance at getting on the Olympic podium.

Anyways, I'm glad he was able to do another Olympics this year and have a happier experience with it than in the past. :)

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I think Joubert, when he was on, was the best skater he could be. I don't think he could have become Buttle with a stable quad even if he'd tried very hard ;) His real chance at an Olympic podium was in the early years of the current system, before everyone figured out how to work the system. I think the best thing he could have done to improve his chances in that regard is go back to the Matrix before rather than after the 2006 Olympics. In 2002 he was too young and inexperienced, 2010 was a lost cause after he injured his foot and 2014 was always a lost cause.

Anyway, I like that Joubert didn't go too far in trying to remake his skating. That's one of the problems I have with the current system; I feel like it's pushing skaters into a very narrow range performance-wise, especially in the men's where you have to wring every last point out of the program. One of the things I've liked about many of the French skaters is that they tried to do things their way and find their own style - I think that's been missing from many men's programs in the last few years.

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

ITA. And 2006 was, IMO, the best shot at a medal for Brian Joubert. He is a very strong skater, but too much of 2-foot skating, too stiff in his step sequences, it got worse with time.

4. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

First thing i thought about when i saw this thread ;)

5. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

:swoon:
    Same here.

6. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Oh dear, don't even get me started on French male dancers.....:swoon::swoon:

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Olivier Schoenfelder :swoon:
    I would kill to dance an Argentin Tango or Paso Doble with him...too bad I'm also a male !

8. coraczek

coraczek Member

As far as I know there have been some male-male teams, at least at some ice shows:D

9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

For instance, here is the future French team A/J practicing twizzles and lifts :D

And of course, the best Carmen of our times.