Who's your favoritt male french skater?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SmallFairy, May 1, 2014.

?

Who's your favourite French male skater?

1. Philippe Candeloro

13.6%
  2. Eric Millot

9.1%
  3. Laurent Tobel

6.8%
  4. Brian Joubert

45.5%
  5. Frédéric Dambier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Vincent Restencourt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Stanick Jeannette

6.8%
  8. Yannick Ponsero

12.5%
  9. Alban Preaubert

1.1%
  10. Florent Amodio

2.3%
  11. Chafik Besseghier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other (please specify)

2.3%
  1. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Since there's a ladies thread I had to make one!

I miss so many of these guys SO much, so many voidy French men over the years, I don't know if I can choose one, but I'll think I may have to go with Stanick, his "Le Petit Prince" in 2003 is one of my favourite programs of all time.

When it comes to medals and titles, of course Brian is in a different league, but I always cared more for the others who really made me feel something special.

Candeloro- where to start? His d'Artagnan is to die for, though CoP would bury him and his technique was wild and wonky. His way of getting into character was amazing. Loved his Lucky Luke and Godfather too.

Millot- so stylish, cherised his tango. Never got the marks he deserved.

Tobel - got to see his Pink Panther live at worlds 99. He was really one of a kind!

Dambier - he was stiff and awkward, but I loved him regardless. He skated with his heart and had spread eagles to die for. His La Boheme was wonderful.

Preaubert - loooove cute guys with funny teeth and big personalities! Who cares about messy, French technique when I can luuuurve me some crazy programs?

Ponsero - so sorry he never held it together when he had the chance to take the big titles away, he really had it all. Those jumps were huuuuge, and what a text book perfect quad!

Amodio - I don't manage to dislike him. I don't. Morozov or not. Crappy programs or not. I always cheer for him. Maybe I'm the only one on the whole FSU who cheer for him??? He moves like (almost) no one else (Dai is always king, always!). His basic is to die for. I will never give up hope for him.

Stanick Jeannette - a guy who makes a program with the theme of American modernist sculptor Alexander Calder is so unique that we can only cry he didn't stay longer. But we will always have Euros 2003!

That was my men! The others were fine, just didn't catch me. I started following skating in 1994, so before that, not so acknowledged... and btw...I'm counting Contesti as Italian;)

2. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Olivier Schoenfelder. :)

3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

^Yes, him! :D

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Joubert still remains my most favorite French male skater. It's a pity he won just one world championship. He was good enough to win at least one more (2009, which he blew by using a wrong strategy). In his prime, and with the 6.0 system, he was an outstanding jumper and a charistmatic skater.

5. zebraswan

zebraswan Member

I voted for Joubert as he's the closest thing to the complete package, but I really enjoy Amodio and Besseghier for their unique styles. And Candeloro of course is one of a kind. I think the French men are pretty special in general.

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

In 2009 he came in 3rd after not doing a 3 jump combo, falling on a 2a, and ending with a level 1 spin- all others were 3 so he didnt go for 1's. He had the 3/5 jump layout so certainly knew all about cop he just made lots of errors.

7. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Forgot to give Restencourt some cred for the most psychedelic t-shirt ever. Don't remember the year or the program, just the crazy cool shirt. OES-voids!

Chafik did great at worlds, good for him, he seems like a nice fellow. His skating needs some more time to gel on me, though he's certainly not average;)

8. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

Laurent Tobel. I like different. And square pegs in round holes. And quirky. And ohmygodwhattheheckishedoing?? :p

9. Nours

Nours Active Member

Péra, Calmat and Giletti would deserve to be mentioned. Specially the last one, he was a special talent. European medalist at 14 ? I can only remember Hoffmann that tiny on the podium.

There's so many like Simond, Fernand Fedronic and Axel Mederic too.

If I have to chose, in the end, it's between Candeloro and Giletti. As the later was a way better skater skating-wise, I'll chose him. It's hard though as there's not much of his skating.

And Laurent Tobel... But he's off the race : automatic additional selection.

10. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Candeloro.

and Eric Millot

11. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Millot, who should have won the 1995 Worlds FS. :respec:

I also liked Joubert, who seems a sensitive soul underneath his poxy macho programmes.

12. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

1) Ponsero
    2) Jeannette
    3) Joubert

13. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I vote for Ponsero's buttocks.

14. Nours

Nours Active Member

How can I forget Ponsero and his body... of work !

Some meorable programs too, In the mood for love was breathtaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPtYs6po6OM

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Had to vote for Laurent if we are looking at favourite skaters. Saw him skate at 98 worlds and he just brought the house down. For such a big lanky tall guy, he could jump (although in a weird way) but he was also incredibly entertaining. In practice he fell and crashed into the boards (vanished from the view of those on that side of the rink). Then he just jumped up from behind the boards as if to say "Surprise!' and smiled at the audience.

16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted for Joubert, but I loved Preaubert too, and liked Ponsero as well.

17. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

This is a tough question, in general and by pure coincidence my favourite skaters are french and it's hard to pick one. On one hand my first ever favourite skater was Candeloro, I still rewatch his programs without a problem, the same with Jeannette, and then there's Brian who I've always rooted for since I first saw him but I really don't go back to watching his programs...

So it's probably 1) Candeloro, 2)Jeannette 3) Joubert for me.

18. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Macho, with a sensitive side. An attractive and intriguing combination for many women. :swoon:

19. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

My hottest male french skater is Yannick Ponsero. Oh wait...did you say favourite or hottest? The list could be either...or both... :grope:

20. Meoima

Meoima Active Member

Jourbert! Definitely!

21. orientalplane

If you're generalising about what women like, please note that I called his macho programmes "poxy". He could have been so much more.

22. The Observer

The Observer New Member

True - I think in terms of his skating, he would have won more world medals if he had focused more on his artistry and choreography. But that wasn't really Brian's style.

I wasn't really generalising about anything particularly serious - just saying that it can be a nice combination for someone to be both strong and sensitive. Joubert obviously had a very athletic, macho jumping & skating style (similar to Elvis Stojko), but it was also clear he had an emotional, sensitive side underneath (like his love for his Mom and moving in with her to provide support after his parents got divorced). :)

23. orientalplane

Yes, you're right. :)

24. zigzig

zigzig Active Member

Yes! That booty was big enough to represent at least Belgium, Andorra and Luxembourg in addition to France.

25. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. He was just plain goofy and interesting and eye-catchingly tall. Even though he never finished all that high at Worlds, he was routinely invited to tour because he was so watchable and completely the entertainer.

26. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

27. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

Since Paul Duchesnay was born in France, he gets my vote.

28. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I LOOOOOVED Philippe Candeloro! I have never seen a more artistic male skater who could hold his nerve at the Olympics!

29. orientalplane

He really went all out for it; you couldn't fault him for lack of effort. ;)

30. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Let us now recall a great moment in Yannick Ponsero history.

I disagree. Trying to turn yourself into a skater you're not doesn't turn out well for most skaters, and I doubt it would have worked well for Joubert even if he had put more effort into being IJS-friendly and/or "artistic". Whenever he tried challenging himself artistically (e.g. his 2011 SP, the Inception program), the judges basically told him to go do techno - is it any wonder that he did, and saved the more subtle stuff for the galas?

Joubert won six world medals and ten Euros medals - that's 16 senior ISU Championship medals, and you're not going to find any other active/recently retired skater with more. How much more could be expected of him in that regard? In the last few years he was obviously no longer in peak form physically, though I think one could make an argument that he should have won the bronze in 2012. So clearly his approach worked out well for him, even if he remained more of a 6.0 skater than an IJS one.

I refuse to vote in the poll on account of there being too many good French skaters.