Who would you pick for 2nd U.S ladie sspot to Worlds along with Wager

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Oct 29, 2012.

?

Which U.S lady will join Wagner on World team

Poll closed Feb 6, 2013.
  1. Gold

29.3%
  2. Nagasu

36.1%
  3. Gao

21.8%
  4. Czisny

6.8%
  5. Zawadzki

4.1%
  6. Zhang

2.0%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I know it is early but at this point who would be your pick as the most likely to make the 2 women U.S team for Worlds along with Wagner this year. Barring an epic meltdown Wager will definitely make the 2 women team and almost certainly defend her title. However the other spot seems fairly open at the moment with alot of people vying. Gold, Zawadzki, Gao, would be my most likely candidates now but there are probably some who view Zhang, Czisny, or Nagasu as having a chance also.

2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

all of those are inconsistent except Gold, she had a not so good GP debut but the rest she was solid this season
    Gao, Czisny, Zawadzki are all inconsistent, by far Gold is the best amongst them by talent and potential

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I hope Czisny, Gold or Nagasu.

4. judgejudy27

I went out on a limb and picked Gao just for the heck of it. As for my hope I would hope for anyone but Czisny, LOL! I cant imagine a bigger step back for the U.S than to return to Czisny at this point.

5. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

picking Czisny would be like shooting on your own foot at this crucial time :p

6. judgejudy27

Exactly. Which is why my personal opinion is even if she turned in a 2011 Nationals like performance, she still would be kept off the team this time around, and that even the USFSA which has been generous to her in the past feels that way this time around. They arent going to take any chances with Czisny ever again, unless the U.S has 3 spots for the 2012 Olympics, Czisny really nails Nationals that year, and the U.S depth does not build up as well as hoped in the interim. With Olympic spots on the line though, forget it, no matter how she skates at Nationals, IMHO.

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Gracie hasn't been consistent since she started competing at senior events, she was just okay at Japan Open, then earlier this season Hannah Miller beat her at Skate Detroit, Agnes beat her at USC, and she was only 7th with a very meh score at SC. She could definitely make the team, but she needs to step up her game big time and soon if she wants to have a good shot at being 2nd at Nationals and making her selection for the Worlds team seem like a good idea. Gao looked great at SA, but we'll have to see if she can keep that going, TEB will likely tell us more. Nagasu was good but not great at Finlandia, we'll have to see what happens at CoC to have a better idea. Agnes was pretty good at USC but then tanked at Japan Open a couple weeks later, the GPs should give us a better idea of which Agnes we should expect this season, or if there's no way of knowing. It seems like the second spot is a pretty wide open affair with the 4 ladies I just mentioned being the main contenders for it, each with relatively equal odds at this point. Czisny and Zhang have a shot but it's highly unlikely either will make the team IMO. There's also the possibility someone else could sneak in there, not likely, but maybe someone like Angela Wang or Samantha Cesario, or if we really go out on a limb, Hannah Miller, Leah Kesier, or Vanessa Lam.

8. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Gao used to have hard time adjusting and meeting the expectations for her and seems to end her struggles with new coaches and environment. Now Gracie's sort of having that time. Let's just give her a break for a while. It's too early to predict Gracie would just crack under pressure and hold "Go for Gao" bandwagon and the same goes for any other skaters, too.

9. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

If she's on (and that's a big if, I know), Nagasu is the best option. She has the most experience and reputation among the girls I consider contenders for the 2nd spot. If she pulls a Wagner and suddenly becomes a fierce competitor, the spot is hers. A fit and hungry Nagasu along with Wagner would be a good World team to finally get a 3rd spot for next year.

Gold seemed like a shoe-in but after SC, I would say her stock has gone down a bit. Come Nationals, that can be a good thing for her. Can you imagine the pressure if she dominated the GP? Maybe it will be better for her to go into Nationals with lower expectations.

Gao and Zawadzki will need to show more consistency and really prove that they are reliable. Gao is on the right path after SA but was that a fluke?

I see those 4 battling for the coveted World spot but things can change after the GP is over. Maybe we should bring this poll back after the GPF.

Zhang is a longshot and Czisny has about an equal chance to go to Worlds again as Rachael Flatt does.

10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I would rule out Czisny, Flatt, and Zhang (injury + other issues in all three cases) as well as Zawadzki (struggling with competition nerves last couple of seasons). Gao, Gold, and Nagasu are still question marks in my mind. Gao skated great at SA but can she keep turning in performances like those? Gold has had one good comp and one mediocre comp. Nagasu medalled at Finlandia with an okay score in a mostly weak field. I'm leaning towards Gao at the moment, but we'll see how the girls fare as the season progresses.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I picked Nagasu. She has the most talent and experience, compared to Gold, Gao and Zawadski. The USA needs to ensure 3 spots for the Olympics. Flatt is no longer the consistent skater she was two years ago. IMO Nagasu is the least risky selection. I would not select Czisny at all. She is the riskiest of all. I say play safe.

12. icellist

icellist Member

For me it's easily Nagasu too. With a meltdown, she still managed a top 10 at worlds. And we really need that 3rd spot

13. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

It's still too early to tell but based on these first two events, Gao is the #2 US lady right now. Rachael is a shadow of her former self; Gracie has been less than impressive so far this season; Caroline was solid at SC but solid for her isn't good enough to be competitive; and I just can't see the USFSA naming Alissa to another world team no matter how well she skates.

We'll need to see how Mirai handles herself at COC to get a better idea of where she is but I agree with Dawnie: if Mirai starts competing like she wants to win, she and Ashley would be a great combo to earn that 3rd spot. Even at her worst Mirai can manage a top 10 placement. She's shown some fight and a new attitude this season. If she's solid at COC and nationals, I'm sure she'd earn that spot...

Definitely too early to tell but we should have a better idea heading into nationals...

14. emma1227

emma1227 New Member

Easily Nagasu, most talent and like others have sides still has the ability to score even with a disaster. Christina..maybe, we will have to see how she does in Paris. To me it's who is ever the most consistent, but with our girls who knows lol!! Gracie needs more experience, if she can handle her nerves possibly!! Agnes, (who I love) has shown nothing (with the exception of some great shorts) since she has become a senior. Alissa wouldn't be ready, and frankly after last year's disaster...who needs that ulcer. No comment about Zhang.

But let's not forget about the "competition of my life" factor at nationals.

15. judgejudy27

Definitely a bit surprised Gao is running away with that poll. I hope people are right though. Would love to see her make it to Worlds if she mantains her consistency.

16. b-man

b-man Active Member

Its too early after 2 GP's. Many start the season slow. Just look at Zhang, gained about 25 points between Neibelhorn and SC. I would think Agnes, Gold, Nagasu are favorites with Gao a dark horse. It will be clearer after Nats, and I will vote then.

17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Who is Wager? Is this a yet undiscovered star who is going to unexpectedly crush everyone at US nationals? :p

18. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

She's the great grand niece of Matilda 'Tilly' Typo, who blitzed the 1955 Upper Great Lakes Regional Championships.

19. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:rofl: let's jump to conclusions about everyone's future performances based on the first two GPs of the season, and then guess how others who haven't yet competed would perform.

The lets create endless new polls when the tides turn with the skaters we've declared the next big thing/big failure based on their next GP outing.

Oh what fun!

20. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

It really to early to predict. But I was amazed at Gao's improvement, and almost voted for her, even if it was only one competition. I voted for Gold because she's such a natural jumper, but I know her results so far this season haven't been so great. I too hope its one of Gao, Gold or Nagasu. I'd even go for Flatt over Csizny.

21. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Could be anyone of them. If zawadski was able to put 2 clean programs together I would bet on her to make it. But we haven't seen a successful long program from her in a while. Obviously Gao put together a good performance at skate America but she has fallen apart many times. I wouldn't put any money on czisny or zhang. gold and Nagasu have the technical ability but they still have to pull it off

Obviously too early to predict anything but it really comes down to who lands the triples on the day, that includes Wagner

22. kwanatic

I still say Ashley's spot is locked, especially after Skate America. Even if she has an off night at nationals, the judges know what she's capable of. Plus the favor she has with the international judges is invaluable and not easy to come by.

Plus, she's proven she's a tough and reliable competitor and that reputation grows stronger with every competition she does well at. Ashley's been the most consistent US lady since Rachael back in 2009 & 2010. That's not to say she won't have an off night b/c she will (everyone does) but an off night by her is much more forgivable than an off night for anyone else b/c Ashley's the only one who has established herself as a consistent and reliable competitor.

23. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Based off what we have seen this year I would say Nagasu or Gao but it is still way to early. Gold has been less than impressive as a senior skater (the US B marks were inflated for both Agnes and Gracie). As a junior you can forgive the presentation but skating on the same ice as the seniors makes her stick out like a sore thumb.

24. kwanatic

Very, very true.

25. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I hope Nagasu makes it to Worlds.

26. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

I'm almost certain that yes Ashley will get her spot to worlds this year. but still, people have there bad days, and nationals could be one of them. If Ashley were to have an aweful skate, I'm sure all these ladies will fight to take her spot.

Obviously yes the way she is skating atm it is almost certain that Ashley will make it to worlds, but it is not 100% guaranteed

27. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I think it's a mistake to ever consider anyone a lock at Nationals. (A safer bet, maybe... a lock, probably not.) ;)

I don't think early in the season that most people would have predicted Weir to end up 5th at Nationals in '09 after medalling at Worlds the season before, or McLaughlin/Brubaker not making the Olympic team (also ending up 5th) in 2010.

28. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Very interesting question. I would say that the following skaters could be the US #2 lady, but they all come with a caveat. In fact, all things equal, I would put their chances at #2 in the following order:

1. Gold - Recent competitions would suggest she is more of a work-in-progress rather than a sequined steamroller. I think if she gets it together by Rostelecom next week and performs like she did at '12 JW, she will be the best bet for #2 US lady. Otherwise, she will be in a position where she must prove herself at Nationals along Nagasu, Zawadzki and Czisny.

2. Nagasu - She has had too many ups and downs to be counted on as #2 US lady outright. Cup of China is her only chance to grab the pole position as #2 US lady and she will be under a lot of pressure to do so. The clock is ticking. She definitely has the talent to do so. That was never in dispute. IF she just stays upright at CoC, she could score in the mid 170s and give herself a boost.

3. Zawadzki - She is still having the same issues this year: Incredible in the SP, and save for the SLC event in September, a disaster in the LP. Unless she improves her LP, I doubt she will be considered as the #2 US lady regardless of how big of a lead she can grab in the SP. She needs to be solid in her LP in the upcoming events.

4. Gao - Great start at SA, but she also needs to prove herself at the next GP event. IMO, SA didn't put her in as the #2 US lady but it did give her an even shot at it alongside Gold, Nagasu, Zawadzki, Czisny.

5. Czisny - Consider that she is and always will be a fragile performer in addition to her disastrous performance at '12 Worlds. I give her the smallest chance to be the #2 US lady. She only has 1 shot at NHK to show herself and that will be her debut performance, rust and all.

Zhang is better overall now, but she has been a bit subpar in competitions this season. Additionally, I don't see Zhang as being the USFSA's 'type' to qualify for Worlds as the #2 US lady. But, I admire her scrap and if others are a disaster, she could surprise!!

There are some Juniors in the mix but none will make it to the 2d spot on the podium, not this year.

29. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Don't forget Angela Wang! She made it to JGP Final and had some excellent performances so far this season, and verified triple-triples.

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I doubt Wang will get the PCS necessary to place in the top 2 at Nats unless a vast majority of the above contenders really don't skate well at Nationals and she does. I think Angela could definitely sneak onto the podium, but if she does, I bet it will be 3rd or 4th place. I would have thought Cesario might have a chance if she had qualified for the JGPF, but where she didn't and had to withdraw from her 2nd event, and seems to be battling an injury yet again, I think she's in the same boat as Wang. Plus she hasn't competed at Nationals in 2 years and the last time she did she was a no-name skater who placed 14th.

Caroline has improved but she still needs to land all her jumps to have a shot, her PCS aren't great and besides her layback her spins don't garner as much GOE as they used to or as much as someone like Czisny or Nagasu. Even with great skates, she might need help from some of the other ladies to end up 2nd.