Who won the 1988 Olympic long program?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jul 20, 2013.

Who won the 1988 Olympic long program?

1. Katarina Witt

3.8%
  2. Elizabeth Manley

46.3%
  3. Midori Ito

45.0%
  4. Debi Thomas

2.5%
  5. Jill Trenary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Claudia Leistner

2.5%
  7. Other option

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

2. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Leistner, for squeezing 700 different music cuts into 4 minutes. Gotta love the 1980s.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  3. essence_of_soy

4. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

The actual LP placements in Calgary were:

1. Elizabeth Manley
    2. Katarina Witt
    3. Midori Ito
    4. Debi Thomas
    5. Jill Trenary
    6. Claudia Leistner

My rankings:

1. Manley
    2. Ito
    3. Witt
    4. Trenary
    5. Thomas
    6. Leistner

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

My rankings are the same but I have Ito winning over Manley in the LP. I think if the SP and figures results were the same Manley would have won with that scenario, not sure Ito could have won any medal though after her figures.

6. essence_of_soy

If the free skates were ranked by height, that awkward eight foot tall girl, Marina Kiellmann, would have won by a landslide.

7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Big, tall and awkward German ladies seem to be good at figures.

8. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

The final results in this scenario are:

1. Manley
    2. Witt
    3. Thomas
    4. Ito
    5. Trenary
    6. Ivanova

which does not look bad considering what actually happened on the ice over the three sections.

9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

That almost convinced me to vote for Leistner. That music edit really was an impressive feat.

10. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

:lol: :lol: pity the poor Skating Music Database that had to list all the music used

11. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

12. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I think if Ito had skated in the final flight and AFTER Witt we may have seen Manley win the whole thing with Ito bumping Kat down. Maybe...

Ito won that LP, my gosh. If Manley had skated the glorious long she skated in Geneva I would have scored it higher than Ito's skate in Calgary. Sorry but her 1988 "Best of" LP totally lacked sophistication and was too much of a collage to represent a cohesive whole that's olympic worthy. Mixing a concerto with cartoon music...I mean pleez...

Has anyone seen this? Manley at her very very best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRkq1kh8fTA
    To me this would be one of the very top ladies LP skates of the 1980s. Not much I'd put ahead of this and if you were to put something ahead of this it should have at least 4 different triples.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  13. essence_of_soy

Yeah. That tall awkward German gal got some votes!

14. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

Manleys 86 World long program was better than her Olympic one. Even she said so in her interview after. The 88 one just reached a much higher emotional pitch due to the circumstances.

I thought Ito had the best long but I would definitely put Manley 1st, Ito 2nd, Witt 3rd to get the correct result which was Manley winning. Ito had no chance of a medal anyway.

15. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

Manleys 86 world program was the best skate for sure at those worlds. Thomas and Witt were very good too, but their tech difficulty really was of lesser quality of Ito and Manley and Chin was past her prime. Its too bad she took herself out of the running after figures and SP.

16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Manley, but Ito is a close second.

17. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

She took herself out of the running when losing the Canadian title to Wainman. The judges were never going to take her seriously at Worlds that year after that, and probably had alot to do with her figures placing too.

18. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Manley's skate at nats must have been really bad that year because Wainman won with one heavily-stalked 3S as her only triple in the whole event!

19. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

It probably wasnt that bad as Wilkes mentioned Manley landed more triples, which to me implies atleast 3 landed. It was funny to see them shrieking in horror over Wainman's scores and even screaming out loud they were criminal when she had 5.6s and 5.7s for only one triple. What a joke. I think it was a sentimenal gift to Tracy to win that year. Manley probably had only one small mistake and that was enough of an excuse.

20. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGkTdPAwGZc

Here is Wainmann from that event, complete with the cheerleading Wainmann lovefest squad of Wiles, Pockar, and Essaw in the booth. I remember reading in the paper that Manley was extremely upset about the result and felt robbed even though she didnt skate her very best that night.

WTF at their reaction to her technical marks which were way too high, yet they call criminal and go beserk for being too low.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  21. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Ito by far. Manley was on that night but not only did Ito have more triples (and more in combination as well) but I really liked the way Midori's program was constructed (triple flip into a combination spin, spread eagle into triple loop into a spin, ina bauer into a triple triple combination, circular footwork into russian splits going into triple salchow, 2 falling leap jumps into double axel into a crazy fast scratch spin). Not to mention she had incredibly strong edges, fast powerful spins, and break neck speed. Combine that with her charisma made for a very charming and exciting program. I find it amazing that many on youtube only want to think she was only a jumper.

22. matti

matti Active Member

I would have given:

1. Midori Ito 6.0 5.9
    2. Elizabeth Manley 5.7 5.9 (no credit for her two-footed 3loop)
    3. Katarina Witt 5.4 5.8
    4. Jill Trenary 5.3 5.7
    5. Claudia Leistner 5.4 5.5
    6. Debi Thomas 5.2 5.6

My view on SP:

1. Caryn Kadavy 0.4
    2. Midori Ito 0.8
    3. Debi Thomas 1.2
    4. Katarina Witt 1.6
    5. Elizabeth Manley 2.0
    6. Jill Trenary 2.4

With this scenario, the final outcome would have been (CF+SP+FP):

1. Elizabeth Manley 6.4
    2. Katarina Witt 6.4
    3. Midori Ito 7.8
    4. Debi Thomas 8.4
    5. Jill Trenary 9.4

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Pretty much. Manley was on. Ito was ON.

24. lulu

lulu New Member

Well said. :) Both of her programs from 1988 were incredible, especially, IMO, her SP. As for Midori's other skating qualities maybe not getting their due respect, this is probably because her jumping ability was so outstanding it tended to overshadow her other excellent skating qualities.

25. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Her loop at Olys has been a source of controversy. I've looked at it a lot: I don't see a two-foot, just a low free leg.

26. matti

matti Active Member

IMO the double-footing was clear when watching it on TV/VHS back in the day, the free blade even left a mark on the ice (EBU signal/footage).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  27. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Ito: 3z; 3F; 3l; 2x-3s; 3t-3t; 3s; 2x
    Manley: 3z; 3l (2 foot); 3s; 3t; 3 2x and multiple 2F

Manley did not win the LP with her jumps if you compare them to Midori. Manley landed three clean triples, Midori landed seven with a combination and a sequence including triples. In regard to spins, Midori did a death drop, flying camel and a combination spin with Y-positions and features. Her steps were also acceptable.

Midori was the best that night.

28. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Manley since she had very strong technical and very strong artistic as opposed to Ito who had only the technical and Witt who had only the artistic.

29. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Midori wasn't un-artistic though. She was no ballerina and she didn't skate generically pretty programs but you don't have to in order to be considered artistic.

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I would rather watch Midori's performance over Manley's supposed artistry.