Who wins 1996 Olympic AA with everyone winning

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by judgejudy27, May 16, 2010.

?

Who wins 1996 Olympic womens AA with everyone hitting

1. Podkopayeva

21.4%
  2. Mo Huilan

78.6%
  3. other (Amanar, Miller, Dawes, Kochetkova, etc.....)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Who do you believe wins the 1996 Olympic AA with everyone hitting their best routines. It seems there are only 2 neccessary options for this poll.

2. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Definitely Mo. But the chances of her hitting 4 for 4 were slim to none. I found her almost irritating to watch because of that.

3. judgejudy27

This is how I think the judges would have scored them:

Vault- Lilia 9.825, Mo 9.850
    Bars- Lilia 9.850, Mo 9.850 (ridiculous but based on the scores they were giving)
    Beam- Lilia 9.850, Mo 9.950
    Floor- Lilia 9.900, Mo 9.775

So I think it could have gone either way with the judges. In the competition itself Mo lost any chance of AA gold with beam dismount since she was never going to be scored anywhere close to Lilia on floor even if she hit perfectly.

4. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

It's difficult to say with FX though. When Mo got 9.650 with her FX (with the out of bounds), I thought they took both an OOB deduction as well as one for the step itself (it was a fairly large step after all). Same with Gogean during the FX final, when she took a step OOB on her full in to close, they took both an OOB deduction as well as an additional one for lack of execution. I could be wrong though.

5. judgejudy27

I agree Mo could have gotten more than a .1 deduction. However in team optionals she hit her best floor routine possible and scored only a 9.775. Scoring was very high in team optionals too on floor as Amanar's 9.887, Gogean's 9.850, and Moceanu's 9.837 all show. Ironically she outscored Lilia in team optionals on floor when Lilia took a big step out of bounds for 9.762.

6. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

The scoring wasn't generous for the Chinese though (it never was during that time period). And the Chinese team only finished 5th in team compulsories due to some disastrous performances and so they competed in an earlier session when scores were generally tighter (and thus lower). Case in point, Mo's ridiculously low 9.800 for her stunning double twisting Yurchenko. In that era, not being Romanian or American usually hurt your score really badly.

7. judgejudy27

Yeah the Chinese were underscored in Atlanta even when they did well. I still cant imagine Mo getting the score she actually needed to win the AA on floor though (9.862). IMO where she lost the title was on her beam dismount just before that. Her floor error lost her a medal altogether unfortunately.

8. judgejudy27

Wow a clean sweep for little Mo so far. :)

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I just realized the title of this thread says "with everyone winning." LOL!

I gave the edge to Pod. I think it would have been a dead heat and could have gone either way but I gave her the benefit of the doubt from the judges because she was current World Champion and had proven herself whereas Huilan was always just waiting to get there....and never did.

10. Bryan

Bryan New Member

Sigh, Mo Huilan. One of my favorite AA gymnasts ever. What could have been...

I agree, her DTY was really underscored. Such a gorgeous vaulter, and her bars :swoon:

11. judgejudy27

One thing I am certain of is if Mo and Lilia had hit all their routines with the rotation order they were in Mo would have had a big lead on Lilia going into floor. They both made some mistakes in their first 3 events but Mo with a monstrous step backwards on her beam dismount still was leading Lilia was over 3 tenths. The question is if Lilia would have outscored Mo by enough on floor to overcome whatever lead Mo would have had. As it was Mo had no chance to hold off Lilia even had she hit floor, but she didnt have as much of a lead as what she would have had.

12. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

because of floor, I think Lilia would still take it. Mo would've been at least .1 behind there.

For some reason even with a stuck landing on beam, I don't think Mo would've gone much higher than 9.85 on beam. The judges gave her that score saying "we want to keep you in contention, and the only deduction we saw was your dismount" (much like how Lilia was scored that night on UB), had she stuck the dismount, I think they'd say "your execution was flawless, but your difficulty needs to be higher" and use that as an excuse to mark her lower (like Lilia on UB during EF and TF).

For some reason the judges did not want to go any higher than 9.9 throughout the whole games when they really had a few instances they could've (Mo VT TF, Kui BB TF, Miller BB EF, Lilia VT 2 AA) and I don't think a hit routine from Mo would've been the one to do it. Yet they set themselves up with some of the scoring throughout the games (Lilia UB and Mo BB AA, Amanar & Milo compulsory UB) making you think they would score VERY high for some routines to come later on that were better, yet they chicken out when it came right down to it.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  13. judgejudy27

Mo at her best would outscore Miller on beam IMHO. Kui got a 9.875 in team optionals (the highest beam score of the Games) too, and I see Mo also outscoring her. I am sure of atleast a 9.9 on beam for her hitting. Even with the false perception of landing deductions (like I said in another thread a regular hop is worth half a tenth at most on non vault events or not even that) the judges would have had to take atleast 1 tenth for such a landing, and probably were supposed to take 2.