Who will win the ladies Grand Prix Final?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Jul 24, 2011.

?

Who will win the ladies Grand Prix final?

Poll closed Aug 24, 2011.
  1. Mao Asada

33 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. Adelina Sotnikova

49 vote(s)
    28.7%
  3. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

8 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Mirai Nagasu

33 vote(s)
    19.3%
  5. Rachael Flatt

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Alissa Czisny

18 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. Carolina Kostner

9 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Akiko Suzuki

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. Kiira Korpi

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. Alena Leanova

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  11. Kanako Murakami

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  12. Other

9 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

This season we have a potentially somewhat bizarre situation in the ladies section in which the Grand Prix final could be more competitive than the World Championships. This is because both Adelina Sotnikova and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva make there senior debuts in the Grand Prix, but will not be able to take part in the World Championships. Of course, Miki Ando and Kim Yu Na will be at the World Championships, but will be entering the competition cold without much competitive skating behind them. Kim was a completely different skater at the 2011 Worlds than the skater who won the 2010 Olympic title due to lack of competitive skating. This is an all too similar situation to what we had during the 2005/06 season in which Mao Asada was clearly the best skater, but was barred from competing at the 2006 Olympics and Worlds. In my view, the Age Eligibility Rules should be relaxed by 1 year as this is clearly an absurd situation - nevertheless, that's a subject for another time.

I think both Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are in with a very strong chance of winning the Grand Prix final - both have powerful triple-triple combinations. Whatever happens, I think this years Grand Prix is going to be far more interesting than last years due to their presence, as last years had to be one of the most boring ever. Whatever happens, I just hope Mao Asada is back to her best.

So who will win the Grand Prix final? Am restricted to 12 nominations so could not fit in Makarova, Phaneuf, Helgesson, and others (including Lepisto as she remains an injury doubt - although I read somewhere that she has now recovered - but seems to be some doubt) in to the list of nominations. Please vote 'other' if wish to vote for one of these others

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I think it's a bit too early to tell. Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva both have strong 3-3s and a lot of potential but their skating is still a bit juniorish right now. Who knows how (or if) improved the other senior ladies will be this season. The one thing they all have over the two new Russians is experience. I think we will have an interesting GPS this season but I'm not willing to make any bets on who will actually win the GPF until I see them skate.

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I am not sure. It is totally wide open, and would have been totally wide open even if Ando and a seemingly disinterested Kim had competed (of course the Kim of 2009-2010 would trash all current women including Ando and Sotnikova at this point but who knows when we will see that Kim again, if ever). Rest assured regardless who wins the GPF that Worlds will be wide open too, unless someone who is not underaged totally lights up the GP series and final.

I think Asada might be done although I hope I am wrong.

Will Nagasu finally fulfill her potential.

How will the Russian babies debut as Seniors.

How will the erratic European brigade pan out, especialy the elder Russians who are now feeling the heat from the Russian babies coming up.

I dont even really care who wins so much, I just want someone, anyone, to step it up and revive womens skating. Last year was the worst year for womens skating since 1982. Someone needs to step up and take control again, and set the bar for others.

4. Amy03

Amy03 Member

it's still to early to tell we haven't seen any off these skaters ad don't know how there condition is, but assuming everyone is in there best condition then i think it would be mao asada that would win it...

5. bek

bek Guest

The thing is in terms of maturity we need to wait and see what Adelina and Elizaveta's programs look like. I'm not so sold on the clip of Elizaveta's program.

Adelina though is already a very lovely skater for her age, and she might have some very big programs. I have no doubt that Sotnikova is going to be a beautiful skater

6. judgejudy27

I picked Kostner. I have a wierd feeling she is gradually gaining some consistency and hopefully she is now healthy enough to start doing all the big jumps again, including triple lutzes and triple-triples.

7. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I picked Mao. I think she'll come back with her jumps revamped and ready to go! Kostner and Nagasu are my other early picks for medals.

Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva will probably make the final, but I just don't think they'll score in the same PCS range as the above three. I could be wrong. They're both really solid.

8. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Wow, Sotnikova is the favorite to win the GPF even before she makes her senior debut. How about that. I must say I'm surprised.

9. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I pick Alissa, it's in Canada

10. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Gutted that Jenna Mckorkell didn't make the list :(

11. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

Well, I'm gutted that Joanne Conway lost the British title to Emma Murdoch during the 1989-90 season; there are some things one just has to live with. ;)

haribobo and (deleted member) like this.
  12. query5

query5 New Member

predicting before we see them skate--wow, can't believe it.
    i would like to see them skate in competition at least once.
    you can't judge by shows for some skaters-now it is too early, alot of them need work/practice.
    more like who would prefer /like to win the GPF final. not who will win based on competition.
    for that i would go i would like to see alissa, mao, both russian ladies win-like i don't have a preference but who will win, as i stated have to see skate in competition this year before i decide. for me too early.
    just anyone really as this point.

13. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Here are some links to Sotnikova's and Tuktamysheva's performances at the 2011 Junior Worlds and the 2010 Junior Grand Prix final:-

Adekina Sotnikova - Junior Worlds 2011 - LP

Adelina Sotnikova - JGPF 2010 - SP

Adelina Sotnikova - JGPF 2010 - LP

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Junior Worlds 2011 - SP

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Junior Worlds 2011 - LP

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - JGPF 2010 - SP

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - JGPF 2010 - LP

I think on the basis of these performances, they are going to be tough to beat in the forthcoming senior Grand Prix series

There are plenty of other videos of them on YOU TUBE in competitions going back several years

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  14. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I am looking for Mirai to medal- I hope this is the year when she starts fulfilling her great promise. Win? No clue.

15. query5

query5 New Member

things happen, things change from year to year.
    i still will wait to see everyone skate in at least one gp event this year before i make my decisions on who will win.

sometimes the skater and competition clicks/sometimes they don't.
    judging from junior gp events to senior while might be same, the difference is the senior gp event sometimes are judged a bit harsher/differently.
    while i agree the two young russian skaters will be competitive on senior circuit how well they do depends on how well they skate

like i stated anyone at this point. predicting is still to early for me anyway

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am betting on Tuktamysheva having a quite consistent 3axel in addition to her 3/3s next season and winning the whole thing.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I think Asada is done.

Although I probably should have more belief in Nobuo Sato.

17. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:rofl:

18. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I still have belief that if Mao can fix her edges and her rotation issues (I know it's a lot, but Sato is shooting for 2014, so we'll probably start to see a little progress soon and much more progress in 2013 and 2014) she can definitely be a factor for a medal.

BTW, besides the triple lutz triple toe, what others 3/3's does Tuktamysheva have?

19. Amy03

Amy03 Member

how can you say she is done when she proved everyone wrong and showed to incredible performances at nationals and 4cc!!!

and even a "done" Asada is still better the the rest of the field just compare mao's score at worlds where her psychical condition was horrible with the highest score someone like Tuktmashewa had scored and you will see that even when mao is in horrible condition she is still better then most of the others.
    especially now that she has had more time to adjust to all her changes, I really wouldn't rule her out, she really is one scary competitor...

20. miki88

miki88 New Member

Interesting to see the disparity between the votes given to Adelina and Liza, although I do feel Adelina is the better competitor as of now.

As for Mao, I just hope she comes back and prove her doubters wrong. :p

21. judgejudy27

If her incredible performances these days cant even beat Miki Ando then that isnt exactly promising.

22. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Miki Ando is world champion, so I don't quite understand your thinking.

23. miki88

miki88 New Member

ITA. Miki's performances beat everyone last season including Yuna.

24. Lookingood

Lookingood New Member

Im more curious about who will makes it to Grand prix Final in this year then Winner for now. Will Asada going to make it to final this year?

25. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I think it's too early too tell, but I want Mao to win. :D

26. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

I think it's too early, but I voted on Adelina, doing like Mao 2005/06 season!

27. judgejudy27

Kim skating incredibly would crush Ando. The Russian youngsters will too if they pan out as good as expected. So if Asada skating incredibly (previous posters words, not mine) cant even beat Ando anymore then that only further indicates how much trouble she is in going forward.

28. b-man

b-man Active Member

I know there is no direct correlation of scores from one competition to another. Yet Mao has a combined international personal best of 205, Mirai at 190, Kostner at 184, Czisny and flatt at 182. Sotnikova has slightly under 179. We all know any of the top skaters can have a bad day, but I can't see Sotnikova jumping over all these veterans.

29. judgejudy27

I would say those scores are deceiving to a point. Do you really believe Flatt would beat Sotnikova with both skating their best for instance. Juniors scores tend to be lower.

30. Amy03

Amy03 Member

Mao skated two incredible programs at 4cc but she still had mistakes and therefor didn't deliever her best, had she made just one or two less mistakes she would have won that competition.
    the same could be said about Kim if she didn't make those mistakes at worlds she would have won. but since neither asada nor kim where in there best condition last season so ando winning with two totally clean performance doesn't indicate anything.