Who will win the Ice Dance bronze medal at the Sochi Olympics?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Sep 26, 2013.

?

Who will win the Ice Dance bronze medal at the Sochi Olympics?

Poll closed Oct 27, 2013.
  1. Ekaterina Bobrova / Dmitri Soloviev

61 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. Anna Cappellini / Luca Lanotte

23 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje

58 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Nathalie Péchalat / Fabian Bourzat

37 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Madison Chock / Evan Bates

15 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. Maia Shibutani / Alex Shibutani

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. Elena Ilinykh / Nikita Katsalapov

13 vote(s)
    6.0%
  8. Other

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Didn't you all know that the Australians are going to cause a major upset and take the bronze!

2. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

P/B end up 3rd behind V/M and D/W they would not retire right away. They would go to 1 final Worlds without both to try and win, then retire. I dont think P/B will be 3rd in anymore major events, but just saying if they did they wouldnt leave without 1 try for gold after then.

3. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Weaver & Poje have a way better chance at the bronze medal than Chock & Bates do. So do the Italians.

4. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Why is everyone assuming VM and DW will retire right after the Olys? I know Olympic champions tend to skip the following Worlds, but they might as well participate, especially if one team retires, the other one goes to Worlds with a clear shot at their third World title.

Of course such situations always question the point of having Worlds in an Olympic season at all. Usually they end up having Olympic leftovers on the World podium instead of creating real deserving champions.

By the way, can anyone update me which of the teams from this poll have already debuted their programs? Of course I know D/W and W/P have and V/M debuted their SD, with FD to come at Finlandia, but what about the rest? C/B and B/S will also be at Finlandia if I'm not wrong. What about P/B, I/K, C/L and the Shibs?

5. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Well VM have said it is their final season for sure. They didnt say they wouldnt go to Worlds though so they still might go and finish the season. DW have not said anything about what they are doing.

6. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

P/B will debut their programs at French Masters at the end of this week (but videos are not guaranteed I guess, so probably we will have to wait until Cup of China), I/K will show theirs at the Cup of Russia this week (but, again, not sure about videos, and the next competition for them is NKH Trophy), C/L will debut at Ondrej Nepela Trophy (at the same time as Finlandia Trophy), Shibutanis were supposed to compete at US International FS Classic earlier this month, but withdrew due to slight neck strain for Alex Shibutani, so they will now debut at Skate America.

P.S.: Also, I read just now that it was written on a Russian forum that B/S won't compete in Finlandia Trophy, but go to the smaller Ice Star competition in Minsk, Belarus instead. Probably some fan videos will show up - last year I saw videos of Zlobina/Sitnikov from there.

P.P.S.: Another correction - apparently B/S will be at Finlandia Trophy according to the new press release.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  7. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Actually, V/M haven't said it's their final season for sure. They have said that this is likely their last season, but in one of the articles from the past few months, Tessa said that they make the decision on a year-to-year basis.

P/B have said that Sochi will be their last competition.

8. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Correction after correction - this time the final one: Bobrova/Soloviev won't compete in Finladia Trophy after all. Apparently Soloviev has strained his ankle, so, as I already wrote, they will compete at Ice Star in Minsk later in October (17 to 20) - http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20131001/691120046.html .

9. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Yes! O'Brien and Merriman for the bronze!

10. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

I would love to see W/P on the podium but I don't think there's a hope of a chance for three North American teams to be on the podium, even if it is deserved. (especially with the competition being in Russia) The bronze will likely go to the Russians or possibly the French.

11. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

The judges let the Shibutanis on the World podium for a North American sweep in Russia. The judges let that happen, they would have no problem letting Weaver & Poje, a more talented and better team, bet there if they deserve it.

12. mia joy

mia joy New Member

First off, there is a huge difference between a North American sweep at Worlds and at the Olys, mind you.

Secondly, back in 2011 no Russian team was a real medal contender, so the decision was whether to give the bronze to the French, the Americans or the Canadians. This time around not only is it the Olympics, but also Russian teams have moved up, won some medals inbetween and become real contenders for the bronze, especially that one of them has just won one at Worlds.

I will be surprised if the bronze doesn't go to B/S, even though I believe both P/B and W/P are more talented and more deserving.

13. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

B/S were a team That was in Vancouver and medaled at euros and lost to the shibutanis. They had some stature and it didn't matter in Russia worlds. They Werent bronze Frontrunners and couldn't even benefit from a mistake because they weren't even 4th. They benefitted from tons of injuries in 2013 and still lost he free dance to c/l.

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I&K and B&S were just as much medal threats as the Shibs in 2011. B&S had won a GP event and I&K had won the world juniors where the Shibs didn't even make the podium.

I am not a B&S fan, but I feel bad for their fans, who probably are sick of hearing "they will definitely win the bronze in Sochi, but so many other teams will be more deserving. I know I got tired of reading that DomShabs would win 2007 and 2008 Worlds and the 2010 Olympics no matter what (ironically 2009 was the year a lot of people though K&N would undeservedly win the gold).

15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I dont think people are saying B&S are undeserving neccessarily if they win it. Just that with all they have in their favor now (home ice, momentum, current 3rd in the World) it is hard to see them not getting it barring a huge mistake. That shouldnt interpreted as saying they automatically wont deserve the bronze if they win it. People are saying the same thing about V&T for the gold in pairs, but that isnt people implying they wont deserve it either. Yes I do remember alot of that type of negativity towards Domnina & Shabalin, and it was to the point of being unfair, but I dont sense it hear to the same extent.

16. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

When people say b/s have the advantage because it is russia it is not just about it being home ice. Maybe that is like 20% at most. 80% mean a political deal has been made that b/s will get bronze because Russia is hosting and hosts of figure skating events are given a medal by the Judges because that country is hosting. I read a lot that the judges have to give b/s the bronze in London so the politics of giving b/s in Sochi has precedent and it isn't so clear that an undeserving b/s were the vehicles to give Russia a medal in dance because they are hosting. This thread - it's just their skating is 80% irrelevent and is only relevant if like they don't do twizzles or miss an element.

17. dcnative

dcnative New Member

I hope P/B get the bronze in Sochi.

18. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Shibutanis have 4 votes? Amazing.

19. piano18

piano18 New Member

It will be I&K. Especially if they continue some more technical consulting with Igor Shpilband like they did this summer to get levels up to par because their PCS are already huge.

20. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I must have missed the competitions (I dont mean a B level international) where I&k have ever received huge PCS. Maybe it will happen this year for the first time, but it hasnt yet.

21. piano18

piano18 New Member

They were among top 5 PCS at Worlds 2013, even after getting disastrous scores of 11th and 15th in TES in SD and FD respectively. If they get levels and TES up, those PCS will surely go up. keep in mind they skated to that much-panned Ghost program.

They also won Europeans FD (in PCS and overall) over B&S...and did so with that Ghost program. They were only 0.11 points away from winning that title from B&S who eventually took bronze at Worlds

22. morqet

morqet Active Member

Their FD PCS last year, with a program that everyone agreed was appalling choreographically:

COR: 49.31
    NHK: 50.93
    GPF: 49.30
    Nationals: 55.46
    EC: 53.08
    WC: 51.80

Other contenders for the Bronze:

P/B
    COC: 52.75
    TEB: 53.53
    GPF: 52.70
    Nationals: 53.88
    WC: 53.60

C/L
    SC: 50.35
    TEB: 50.23
    GPF: 49.32
    Nationals: 53.63
    EC: 51.28
    WC: 51.82

B/S
    SA: 49.33
    COC: 50.64
    GPF: 49.03
    Nationals: 55.31
    EC: 52.83
    WC: 53.83

W/P
    SA: 49.94
    COC: 49.13
    WC: 51.52

P/B have the best PCS (they're 3-5 points off what V/M and D/W usually get) I/K and B/S are their nearest competitors with potential to get just as high marks, but they are more inconsistant. W/P and C/L a couple of points off the pace. Interesting to note that 3 out of 4 times that I/K went head to head with B/S they came out on top on PCS, being let down on the technical side. Will be interesting to see what happens now that I/K have a more interesting and coherent program than last year's offering, and claim to have worked more on ensuring they get the levels, particularly in the SD.

23. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I would say B/S if they skate the way they did last year. I think they're outskating W/P right now, and if D/W are going home with gold, it definitely won't be American. Home ice advantage means they'll likely skate their very best because it's a home crowd. Doesn't have to mean politics in this case.