Who will win the Ice Dance bronze medal at the Sochi Olympics?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Sep 26, 2013.

Who will win the Ice Dance bronze medal at the Sochi Olympics?

Poll closed Oct 27, 2013.
  1. Ekaterina Bobrova / Dmitri Soloviev

61 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. Anna Cappellini / Luca Lanotte

23 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje

58 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Nathalie Péchalat / Fabian Bourzat

37 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Madison Chock / Evan Bates

15 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. Maia Shibutani / Alex Shibutani

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. Elena Ilinykh / Nikita Katsalapov

13 vote(s)
    6.0%
  8. Other

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Recent blog article by Kaitlyn Weaver for CBC Sports. Reads:-

In their season debut (the first competition referred to above - the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic in Salt Lake City), Weaver/Poje went on to finish 2nd (with a score of 161.99) behind Davis/White.

Unless Davis & White and/or Virtue & Moir suffer a disaster, they will more than likely take the gold and silver medals at the Olympics (in either order). However, the battle for the bronze will be tight and I think at least 7 couples, including Weaver/Poje, have a chance of winning it. So, if hypothetically Davis & White and Virtue and Moir win the gold and silver (in either order) as expected, who will win the bronze?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I voted for Andrew and Kaitlyn. I realize this may be a pipe dream, but I love their optimism and graceful, elegant lines.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  3. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I went with Bobrova/Soloviev since the O's is in Sochi. But I also believe they deserved the bronze at last years Worlds. This team really grew on me...but I enjoy all the dance teams.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I went with Bobrova-Soloviev also. Home ice advantage, and more experience than I&K

5. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

I feel the same way, AliasJohnDoe. I love so many teams right now, and B&S have grown on this I&K uber. Part of me would love to see either of these two teams take bronze at home, but I still see P&B as the strongest European team, and i would love to see them end their career with an Olympic medal. I looooove their skating technique and their ability to really dance. Please, please let them have a healthy season.

6. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

I'm actually really excited about it, because I think it could go to any one of these teams! I voted I/K because I love them, and their programs look very promising this year (too early to tell, I know!) B/S don't really do much for me - I neither like nor dislike them. Glad they've changed that SD though! C/L are my second faves from your list. But really, I hope P/B come back strong and win it! :)

7. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I feel the same. I really would love to like B/S but they just don't do it for me either:rolleyes:
    They are just not exciting and their dances look all the same every year .
    I'm hoping P/B win bronze but having not seen their programmes yet it's hard to see what shape they're in .
    Seeing I/K YT their programmes look very interesting indeed :)

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Bobrova & Soloviev 50%
    Weaver & Poje 20%
    Chock & Bates 10%
    Capellina & Lanotte 15%
    Pechalat & Bourzat 4%
    All others combined 1%

Naturally I voted B&S.

9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

P/b if healthy but looking more like a Canada/us sweep every day!

10. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I would LIKE to see P/B win the bronze since they're the oldest of these teams and they have been at world and European top for a while now. My second choice would be W/P. I would also like to see C/L do well, but I don't think they really have a shot at a medal.

However, I think B/S have the biggest chance since they're Russian. It's really sad these things still matter in figure skating, but we all know they do. Just like D/S were pushed to the bronze four years ago, B/S will be pushed to the bronze this time, unless they really mess up.

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

The cynic in me thinks that if B/S mess up, I/K will be right on their heels for that bronze.
    I do like both teams though. And I like all the rest on the list too.

12. itoaxel

itoaxel Member

I think the poll results about sum up the teams chances. Weaver & Poje and Bobrova & Soloviev with the best chances by far and little Italians, French, and Chock & Bates very outside shots at the bronze. Why are the Shibutanis even on the poll, and with 4 votes no less, hehe. They will be lucky to even make the U.S Olympic team, never mind get a medal.

13. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I voted for B/S, pretty obvious why. But I hope that either The Baby Italians or W/P make the podium.

14. judgejudy27

Why do so many people call Anna & Luca things like baby Italians or little Italians. Arent they both close to 30 and they have been competing Senior since before the 2006 Olympics.

I also hope the Italians or Weaver & Poje get the bronze. Unfortunately I think B&S will have to make a major mistake (which they can make) for that to happen. Not that I have a problem per say with B&S. They are a quality team and deserved their World medal last year. They simply dont do much for me for whatever reason.

15. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

You know they C/L were in the shadow of F/S for so long and then even in 2006 F-P/M came back and overshadowed F/S who overshadowed C/L! They've been around so long but for many years second team.

Then you have people saying B/S can only win a medal because of corrupt home cooking judging and that's just a huge waste of a medal and spot and makes anything they do meaningless and scores suspect and I would personally almost prefer no Russian team to medal so you don't get all the " Ice dance is so corrupt Russians medaled posts!!!"

16. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Maybe you forgot the Shibutani's won the World bronze medal in 2011. A higher placement/achievement than most on the list.

17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

P/B or B/S, but I'm hoping P/B. They only got 6th at last year's worlds due to injury so people shouldn't be counting them out. I don't think it'll be any of the others on that list, unless Chock/Bates pull a surprise, but somehow I can't see NO European team on the podium.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Right. The Shibutanis enjoyed some success after that bronze as well until 2012 Four Continents. It seems like they went a little out-of-whack since then and haven't been able to consistently perform to the level to receive the high TES they used to enjoy.

19. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Why do Weaver and Poje have the most votes ???

Still shocked to see the little amount for votes for Pechalat & Bourzat. They had a bad skate and one competition and suddenly people think they are below W/P

CassAgain and (deleted member) like this.
  20. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Yes I can't wait to see Master's competition :)
    Remember P/B were at the top of their game before the injury so I'm not counting them out .They have had a run of bad luck with Nathalie's nose injury Fabian's injury and then the coaching change :(
    I'm really interested to see them under Igor .

21. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

But you are forgetting that they won that bronze with somewhere between 96 and 97 points in the FD. Last season five teams had more than that (C/L, B/S and W/P apart from D/W and V/M), Chock/Bates had somewhere around that, and two more teams are fully capable of more than reaching that sum (P/B and I/K).

This.
    And this.

22. judgejudy27

I am actually shocked at them having so many votes as they do.

23. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

The cute little Italians should take bronze. They are only getting better despite being older than some others and nearly got the bronze at Worlds. What I am sure of is that it will be someone who was 3rd to 5th at Worlds. It wont be Pechalot & Bourzat and it definitely wont be one of the U.S teams. I guess that other Russian team could get it if Bobrova & Soloviev skated before them in the SD, fell, and they had to quickly promote their #2.

24. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Other: Virtue/Moir. Russia will earn at least silver. It will be in Russia, remember.

I also have a feeling that the #1 Russian team in Sochi will be someone other than Bobrova/Soloviev, maybe the son of Bukin & his partner. Think of the 1994 surprise from 'unknowns.' Let's see what transpires during the Sr G-P season.

25. judgejudy27

LOL a team who didnt even skate Seniors before will never win Olympic Gold or Silver. Olympics are in Russia but it is still a sporting competition, not a reality TV show.

26. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Why are Weaver & Poje winning this poll? Are you people nuts. A team that has never won a World medal, is older than most of the top teams, and isnt even certain to make the Olympic tema for Canada.

27. Proustable

Proustable New Member

My thoughts in general.

1. Bobrova/Soloviev are the top picks, but not strongly. Of all the teams here, they are the ones mostly likely to make the visible points losing mistake as well as the invisible but major hits (losing levels on the step sequences). A hometown games certainly helps and I think they are solidly the Russian number ones at this point with I/K's struggles after Worlds 2012. This is one of those predictions that I wouldn't bet money on.

2. I'm finding the discussion surrounding Pechalat/Bourzat and Weaver/Poje pretty fascinating, actually.

I think those that are predicting P/B to fall behind the rest of the "next in line" pack are doing so based strictly on the feeling post-Nice that they had peaked. They were generously scored on home ice after a struggle of a season (seemingly forced to change coaches, withdrawing from Skate Canada because of his bronchitis, the broken nose (?) from practice, losing the SD at Euros to B/S). Given how closely they were scored to W/P all season, the huge difference in marks at Nice (which instantly saw a retraction at WTT) felt very much a congratulations to an old stalwart (they were by far the most senior team). Meanwhile, W/P had a sensational season. After firmly vanquishing Crone/Poirier at Worlds 2011, they had three straight silver medals on the GP circuit (beating B/S on home ice to boot), and had a very strong fourth place at Worlds with an emotionally thrilling FD. Worlds were in Canada, they were on their way up (B/S felt like they were on their way down after Worlds 2012, and I/K were their usually inconsistent selves).... the bronze medal was in sight.

But I think the beginning of the 12/13 season somewhat challenged those preconceptions (or at least, those were the ones I held). P/B took a massive confidence boost from those Worlds (she said straight up that she felt like she could challenge the Canton duo for gold) and they were VERY well prepared for the season - scoring the levels on the YP, and easily winning both of their GP events. Meanwhile, W/P struggled - they lost levels and lost to B/S (and when you lose to B/S because YOU can't score the levels, something's wrong). They didn't even qualify for the GPF.

Then both teams got injured. I think the fact that W/P were able to recover from injury more easily then P/B has rather skewed things (though P/B seem to be the ice dance team of the moment suffering the most from health concerns, so maybe not.). That stated, W/P have come off a well-scored at the US Classic and seem a lot readier this season then last. Right now, I'd slightly favour W/P between the two, but I think W/P are going to be more like Dubreuil/Lauzon - have a couple medals from a post-Olympics field and then retire before 2018.

CassAgain and (deleted member) like this.
  28. NarumiAyane

NarumiAyane New Member

FYI, Weaver and Poje were 4th and 5th (after only 3 weeks of practice) at the last two worlds, making them pretty darn close to the podium. Second of all, they are pretty close to guaranteed a spot on the Canadian team (barring a MAJOR disaster) and thirdly, they are the same age as V/M and D/W, younger than P/B and C/L, and slightly older than B/S.

29. judgejudy27

I would love to see Weaver & Poje win the bronze in Sochi more than words can describe. I am not sure how likely that is however. I still think they have as good a chance as most teams on this list but Bobrova & Soloviev would have to mess up pretty badly to not get it on home ice, and even if they do there are several teams who probably have roughly equal shots. I was worried seeing W&P lose to Chock & Bates at the WTT as that is another up and coming team on their heels.

30. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

If V/M D/W win olympics and P/B get bronze and all three retire after olympics . I can really see W/P as world champs :)