Who Will Win American Idol Ten?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Mar 4, 2011.

?

Who Will Win American Idol Ten?

Poll closed Mar 9, 2011.
  1. Casey Abrams

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Haley Reinhart

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Jacob Lusk

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. James Durbin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Karen Rodriquez

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. Lauren Alaina

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  7. Naima Adedapo

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Paul McDonald

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Pia Toscano

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. Scott McCreery

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  11. Stefano Langone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Thia Megia

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I decided to put in order how I think this year's contestants will do. This list is not in order of who I like best (or least) but in order of who I think America will vote off first (sorry Ashthon, you're not even making the poll...) :wuzrobbed :D

Here are my predictions...what are yours?

1. Pia Toscano
    2. James Durbin
    3. Scott McCreery
    4. Lauren Alaina
    5. Casey Abrams
    6. Thia Megia
    7. Paul McDonald
    8. Jacob Lusk
    9. Haley Reinhart
    10. Karen Rodriquez
    11. Naima Adedapo
    12. Stefano Langone
    13. Ashthon Jones

P.S. I am setting this poll to close five days from today, the day of the top 13's first performances.

2. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Where's the poll?

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am torn on this one. I think Lauren Alaina will feel some backlash from being over pimped and could have one of the shock eliminations around the top 6 or so. Thia is very good but being so young will she handle the pressure? I don't think Pia has the same range as some other contestants so she could have some off nights. Scott would be the first male country winner so he may have an advantage but he is so one note that I think he will bore audiences by the time the final 5 comes around. If I have to narrow it down to 3 I would say:

Lauren Alaina
    Thia Megia
    Scott McCreery

The other option is James Durbin but he isn't nearly as good as Lambert and being on only a couple of years after him probably wont help, he should have waited another year or two if he could.

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

So AI fans, is this a good year for the top ten? Do we have another Kelly or Carrie or Adam or David C in the making?

5. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Right now Naima is my favorite. I love how she handles herself on stage & I love her voice. She is very professional. I don't think she is lounge-acty, I think she is a throwback to the amazing torch singers of the past like Lena Horne & Dinah Washington. I'm not sure there is a market for her, but consider how Norah Jones MADE a market for herself. So did Diana Krall. That said, I'm not going to predict that she will win (even though I voted for her) but I love her kind of music. I can definitely see her at a place like House of Blues.

6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I agree and think Scott will walk away with the win. Durbin isn't even close to Lambert vocally and doesn't have the stage presence. I figure he's mid pack at best. Thia can sing and is really cute and Lauren has an appeal that I think could take her as far as 3rd place.

To round out the top 5, I'd add Casey and Paul.

7. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I think the general level of talent is very good. But, I don't think there's going to be a standout coming out of the finale. Scott may be the closest, in terms to become a very popular country singer, but I don't think he'll have the crossover appeal that Carrie has. This year may end the WGWG run because Paul is too quirky and I can't see him suppressing his personality the way that Lee did. I also think a lot of people won't appreciate Casey's sense of humor. James doesn't seem as talented, creative, or smart and engaging as Adam. And Jacob's singing style doesn't have broad enough appeal.

Lauren, whom the judges have deemed a cross between Carrie and Kelly, doesn't have their vocal talent or poise and is far more annoying. I think that Pia is a good singer and pretty, but I'm not sure that, as a New Yorker, she can appeal to a broad AI audience like Carrie and Kelly did. Thia seems too young and boring. The other girls will be out of the competition within the first five weeks.

So, I don't see a breakout star coming out of this season and I'm having a very hard time predicting who will win.

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I voted Casey. I think vote splitting will leave him as last man standing.

9. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I really hope Scotty doesn't win. I can't stand country music unless it's crossover. His kind of voice & country is the type I dislike the most. Plus he makes funny faces when he sings & he's kind of nerdy. Of course, girls went for icky Lee so no telling what girls find hot these days. Of all the men, I like Casey the most & think Stephano is the cutest.

10. rfisher

The thing is, country is a big money maker. Big. While Kelly has done well, there's no denial that Carrie Underwood has done much better. I think Scott has the potential to do so also if he gets a hot song writer and makes a good video. He's very young, but he's got the looks and the voice to do very well down in Nashville.

Since they are supposed to really be working with vocal coaches this season, it'll be interesting to see who improves as the season progresses.

11. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I still don't know who 3/4 of these people are.

12. Allskate

I don't think Carrie has done better than Kelly when you look at the total internationally. Plus, I think Carrie has much more crossover appeal than Scotty. But, I can see Scotty having a great country career regardless of whether he wins. Casey James starts his gig opening for Sugarland tonight. I'll be really curious to hear about his new music.

I really don't know who is going to win. I'm going to go with Pia. My predictions:

1. Pia Toscano
    2. Scott McCreery
    3. Lauren Alaina
    4. Casey Abrams
    5. Stefano Langone
    6. Paul McDonald
    7. James Durbin
    8. Thia Megia
    9. Jacob Lusk
    10. Naima Adedapo
    11. Haley Reinhart
    12. Karen Rodriguez
    13. Ashthon Jones

13. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I can see Pia, Karen and Lauren being the top 3. They stand out the most to me...

14. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am a huge Kelly fan so I am biased but Kelly has probably sold as many albums just internationally as Carrie has sold in the US. Carrie has sold very little outside of the US because country isn't a viable market outside of the US. Carrie also benefits from being on country radio which gives almost everyone a turn at #1 so her #1 count is really skewed because of that.

15. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

It's way too early for me to pick a winner.

venja and (deleted member) like this.
  16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm quite happy with the final group, with a few exceptions. Jovany is the only one I'm truly miffed about not being in the top 13. It's possible we have a number of people who could do as well as Kelly or Carrie. Not sure if David Cook deserves to be in the same group as these ladies, guess we'll find out this year whether he sinks or swims...

I think if she continues to knock it out of the park, the general public will forget about the pimping and vote, vote, vote for her.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing the judges comment on how they are not seeing anything new from him. My guess is he'll keep doing the same kind of thing week after week and will go home somewhere in the middle of the pack. (Why did I put him as high as #3??? :confused: :lol:)

I'm wondering if Lauren and Scott will split votes amongst the country fans??

I'm wondering how the voting audience will deal with James' facial tics...seeing him live without editing, I'm seeing a lot of scrunching of his face as he squeezes his eyes shut. He is turning away from the camera often, I think the people behind the scenes have directed him to look away when he feels that coming on. Will the public feel uncomfortable with this (and vote less for him)? Or will they only care about his talent?

Polls are located at, or near, the top of the page.

:p

17. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

18. shuilee

shuilee New Member

Wow I guess I'm in the minority that thinks this year's top 13 finalists are just okay.

It's so obvious that we'll have 3 girls eliminated in the next 3 weeks....Haley, Karen and the black divas are clearly the bottom feeders. I have to say I'm disappointed because the girl finalists are pretty weak for a "girl's year". Only Pia and Lauren have winner's potential. It's eerily similar to Season 9 (the wrong girls got cut in the semifinals, so we're left with a bunch of girls that are destined for 10th-13th place finishes.) We'll end up with 6 boys in the top 9 once again. :(

Overall, this year's finalists are totally middle-heavy (we have 9 finalists who are all pretty good and would make excellent 4th place finishers, but I don't see ANY superstars like Kelly, Carrie or even David Cook/Adam Lambert level).

19. rfisher

TV Guide has a poll which has Pia winning with 21% then Scott and Casey with 17 and 16% gap James and Lauren with 10% each huge gap everybody else with 4% or less. I think the top 5 on that poll are correct except I think Thia will do better. It will really depend on what she sings.

James is planning on doing a lot of heavy metal if they get it approved: Black Sabbath, Ozzie, ACDC etc. So, lots of screaming from him. :lol:

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I put David C in there as someone who had a really exciting run through the top ten, as did Adam.

In both of those seasons, excitement here prompted me to check them out. :)

21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

To me, American Idol is all about finding the next big pop star. In the UK, the show that began it all, was even called "Pop Idol". Anytime a contestant chooses a song that would never get played on pop radio, usually my first thought is "GET RID OF THEM"!!! (Songs like Georgia On My Mind, Summertime, God Bless The Child, Someone To Watch Over Me....)

I think Scott's repetoire will be too limited to take him to the top. Plus in his first live performance, he kept doing these strange facial things...mugging into the camera slightly with his eyebrows going up. It's tough to describe. It came across as insincere, stagy and somewhat smug. Scott might get dumped on for this, like when people were ruthless with David Archuletta for actually audibly breathing between the lines of the songs.

Lee had a personality? Who knew? :p

Casey will not go as far as Taylor Hicks did because he is offbeat and quirky, which will divide voters (a love him/hate him thing is going to happen, I think). Hicks was cute and cuddly (relatively speaking) and enveloped the audience, whereas Casey likes to challenge people (which is a good characteristic in general IMHO, but will not pull in votes).

So Pia being a New Yorker is a detriment? :(

I think people might have seen Thia is too cool/sombre...to the point of coldness. But in the results show when she cried about someone else being eliminated...I still can see the tears coming down her face...this may have warmed the audience up to her. Thia needs to stick to some upbeat pop songs for a few weeks...dance around, have fun, joke a bit with Ryan and the judges - and America could really warm up to her.

22. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I agree that being a fantastic singer wouldn't make you win on Idol if you're not current. Hopefully Naima will sing something more relevant next week.

I hope you're right. I am not a Scott fan at all & his facial expressions really put me off.

:rofl:

I couldn't disagree more. Taylor was cute & cuddly? I thought he was very corny & was probably the least talented in that year's top 10. When he did A Thing Called Love I actually cringed.

I don't think being from New York will keep her from winning...but unless she shows that she can sing more current songs, she will have the same problem as Naima & Thia.

Agreed.

23. Allskate

Did Lauren sing any country songs before this week? I don't think of her as a country artist. Scott says that his early audition was with a John Mayer song. Maybe they've both realized that they can get more votes and have a better chance at a career if they go the country route.

It helps in this competition to suppress your pesonality and just pretty to a boring, happy, good guy.

Nobody from the Northeast has ever won. I can't even think of someone from the Northeast who has made it to the finale. The majority of the time, someone from the South or the Midwest wins.

24. rfisher

Maybe because that's where a majority of people who actually vote live. I suspect a lot of people watch who never actually vote. :shuffle: Like me. I have to really, really like someone before I'll bother.

25. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

One thing to remember about song choice is that, no matter what the judges say about how important it is to choose the right song, oftentimes there are only a few songs on the list that the contestants can pick from. An article from last year said there was something like 12 songs for 8 contestants one week - something like that.

When I saw the Idol tour this past summer, I was shocked that someone I didn't like during the show for being boring and not all that great - Katie Stevens - actually is a great female rock singer! Who knew? When I talked to her after the show, she said that she wasn't allowed to sing rock on the show, but that her album would have a lot of rock on it.

Just one small example of us not really knowing what happens behind the scenes, no matter what script Uncle Nigel/Producer Whomever has written for everyone to follow.

26. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

That's messed up about Katie. I remember her seeming totally out of her element once she got past Hollywood. She seemed not ready for prime time in terms of vocal ability and stage presence. Perhaps being pushed into a mold that wasn't really her was the root of the problem.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Allskate

I am very much aware that they have a very limited number of song choices, especially on nights when a particular artist is the theme. However, I'm totally not buying this from Katie. She may have wanted to be a rock singer at the time you saw her (or said so), but from what she said and did on Idol, I got the impression that she was all over the place and not particularly into rock. Whenever she was asked about her favorite singers, she was not mentioning rock stars. She was mentioning the likes of Whitney Houston and Andrea Bocelli and said that Carrie and Kat were her favorites among Idol contestants. I really doubt that she's going to put out a rock album. If Allison couldn't talk a label into producing a rock album, Katie won't.

But, I think her real problem on Idol was that the nerves got to her. It wasn't just the song choices. The singing itself was not very good.

28. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Here's what I predict will happen with Casey. Three weeks in, there will be a comment in our AI threads about him being a little "too" (quirky, smarmy, this, that...) The next week, a few more voices will chime in with similar comments, getting a little bit more biting and nasty. Others will voice the opposite, that he is an artist (and perhaps "misunderstood" :drama:).

Of course, the public will follow our thoughts and Casey will become a "love him" or "hate him" kind of performer. He'll get voted out in fifth place, I'd guess. I can't see him making the top three, even though he will be more talented than someone "less offensive" than him, who stays longer.

It's interesting that Scott is added to the mix when Casey James hasn't even released his album yet. If anyone has a shot at country super-stardom like Carrie Underwood, it would be Casey. He can sing, he did well on Idol, he is an amazing guitar player and is HAWT :swoon:. So if Scott does well, Idol will have two male country stars they are promoting at the same time... :confused:

Haven't they had vocal coaches since season one? Debra Byrd, specifically? She was the vocal coach on Canadian Idol and they let her sing live on one of the results show...for which she got an (extended) standing ovation:

Debra Byrd - I'll Never Love This Way Again

Just keep sleeping, sweetie. We'll wake you up for the finale in May. :p

29. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Name someone else besides Lee who "suppressed his/her personality". Kelly,
    Carrie, Ruben, David, etc, are exactly who we thought they were during the show. Maybe Lee doesn't have much personality. And even he did suppress during the show, he hasn't shown much besides hubris since the win.

30. Allskate

It's not just the suppression of personality that helps. Not having one also helps. :lol: Frankly, I don't think Carrie has much personality. I don't think Ruben showed much personality on the show and doesn't really have a strong personality. I also think that Kris was very quiet and didn't show a strong personality, though I do think he's naturally kind of quiet and that he wasn't really pretending. He actually has a really good sense of humor, though. And Lee definitely has a personality. His hubris is part of it. I definitely think that he was purposely suppressing his personality and trying to come off a certain way that was not him. For the most part, I don't think having a quirky or strong personality helps you win on the show. It may help you initially, but it eventually hurts. I totally agree with Peter on Casey. His personality, humor, and quirkiness helps him now, but it will hurt him in the long run. But, I think many contestants pretend to be someone they are not. There is definitely a pageant aspect to this show.