Who will win 2011 Ladies World Championships Gold Medal?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Mar 23, 2011.

?

Who will win the 2011 ladies World Championships gold medal?

Poll closed Apr 13, 2011.
  1. Kim Yu-Na

132 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. Mao Asada

47 vote(s)
    19.9%
  3. Miki Ando

40 vote(s)
    16.9%
  4. Alissa Czisny

9 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Rachael Flatt

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Carolina Kostner

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  7. Kiira Korpi

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. Kanako Murakami

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ksenia Makarova

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  10. Alena Leonova

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Viktoria Helgesson

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  12. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Assuming 2011 Worlds go ahead, who will win the ladies Gold medal?

Note that the old poll has closed and took place before cancellation and need to reschedule (a delay that will obviously impact on skaters preparations). Worth running again with a wider choice of skaters to vote for

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

3. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

As stated, poll closed and took place before cancellation and need to reschedule. Worth running again.

4. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted Mao. You should have included Cynthia Phaneuf on the list though. If you include Helgesson you should include her since she probably has more of a chance of winning than Helgesson or even Leonova.

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

You raise a valid point. The last slot indeed came down to a choice between Helgesson and Phaneuf.

On a non-skating note, RIP Elizabeth Taylor. A very sad day.

6. neptune

neptune New Member

Where's "Mary Ann Summers"???? :eek: ;)

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I still say Miki. Her jumps have just been so huge and consistent this whole season.

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Yu Na Kim. Nobody in the field has any chance against her if she is even close to clean, especialy now with Worlds not even in Japan anymore. And with surprisingly 3 bad outings at Worlds in 4 years, she is due for a good showing, which can not be challenged by anyone in the field with Mao still not close to her best.

I think silver and bronze will probably go to Japanese women. Even if one of Miki or Mao have an off competition I have a feeling Murakami will step up in that case. I dont trust Kostner or Czisny to deliver at a Worlds. And I dont think Flatt or any of other European women can medal regardless how they perform.

9. pinky166

Not even pretty Kiira with her 3-3s and 7 triple FS? :)
    That is, if she ever manages to deliver in both programs at one competition....

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I dont know what Kiira's scoring potential is since like you said she has never gone clean. However her best free skate ever was her one in winning her first regular season grand prix this fall, and even that didnt exactly score huge.

11. neptune

neptune New Member

Perhaps she should consider using a professional courier. ;)

12. pinky166

True, but it wasn't clean. I guess it's good she plans to do 7 triples though because then if she messes up a couple of them, which she usually does, she's still left with around 5 which will allow her to score pretty well.

Alissa has done very well this season and I'm curious to see if she can keep the momentum going at Worlds. I'd could see her maybe winning silver or bronze here, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see her as far down as like 8th.

13. coolmoom

coolmoom New Member

14. sonya

sonya New Member

Yuna kim.....Go yuna!

15. sonya

sonya New Member

coolmoon....
    oh! thanks. Goooooood!

16. Aren

Aren New Member

Queen Yu-Na!!!

17. jatale

jatale New Member

If Yuna is in top form she will probably win. I say "probably" not "certainly" because I'm not sure how the judges will score her given that they haven't seen her skate in over a year and because they are not familiar with her new programs.

I think it shows Yuna's courage and commitment to skating that she is coming back to compete for the first time in a year at Worlds no less! Perhaps she is just happy to compete again and is not expecting to necessarily win. Personally, I think she is feeling renewed after a year off from competition and is excited about getting back into it. I hope so, she is such a gift to skating, and I hope she continues to compete through the next Olympics.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  18. icellist

icellist Member

I seriously think this year is Miki's year, but if she does falter, then the podium is up for grabs, most likely by Yuna. Mao's consistency at Worlds will help. I think whoever did this poll had a very good guess about who is going to be on the podium. except Phaneuf > Helgesson

I say:
    Miki 1
    Yuna 2
    Mao 3 - 4
    Czisny 3 - 11 (depends on watch Czisny we get. hopefully the good one)
    Murakami 3 - 7
    Kostner 3 - 10
    Flatt 5 - 10
    Korpii 6 - 9
    Phaneuf 6 - 10
    Makarova 9 - 10
    Leonava 9 - 10

But still really really really really really irked about Mirai not making Worlds. I think after both of their subpar performance at nationals. USFSA should have decided their world berths based on their performances at 4CC. She would have been 3 - 8 in my opinion.

19. icellist

icellist Member

oh yea the rest of the roster should be like:
    12 Helgesson
    13 Gede....
    14 Kwak Min Jung
    15 Helgesson
    16 Lee
    17 Vannut
    18 Hecken
    19 Samson
    20 McCorkell or Meite

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Very hard to tell. IMO, it's even harder than the Worlds as previously scheduled.
    I don't know how those girls who trained a lot for March will bear the pressure one month later !
    Maybe Carolina will be able to land a good 3 flip with one more month. And a beautiful 3/3 in the SP !

21. pinky166

Makarova and Leonova, especially Leonova, are capable of falling out of the top 10. I'd say the same is true for Phanuef and Korpi too, depending on which girl shows up at worlds. The results I expect are:

Places 1-3:
    Miki
    Yuna
    Mao

and maybe:
    Kanako
    Carolina
    Alissa

Places 4-6:
    Kanako
    Carolina
    Alissa

and maybe:
    Mao
    Kiira
    Rachael
    Ksenia

Places 7-9:
    Kiira
    Rachael
    Cynthia

and maybe:
    Ksenia
    Alena
    Alissa
    Carolina

Places 9-11:
    Ksenia
    Alena
    Elene

and maybe:
    Cynthia
    Viktoria
    Min-Jung
    Joshi
    Myrianne

Places 12-14:
    Viktoria
    Min-Jung
    Joshi

and maybe:
    Alena
    Elene
    Juulia
    Myrianne
    Sarah

22. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I think the fact that most of the skaters thinking Worlds being cancelled was a big possibility is going to light a fire under all of them. I think all 4 disciplines will be more competitive than they were before, I'm super excited.

23. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Amelie Lacoste is going instead of Myriane Samson now, apparently (Samson's injured). I read that in another thread.

24. icellist

icellist Member

i would be so surprised if minjung kwak got 12th and yuna kim got 1st. Then korea would finally have 3 skaters at worlds next year. There's going to be such a huge talent splurge from korea soon. I am really happy that other people like min-jung (I thought I was the only one). If she gets the PCS she deserves and skates to the best of her ability, I'd say she can get 10th but she, sadly, always misses one jump or element. Once again, so happy that someone thinks so highly of minjung to be put into 9-14 rank

25. icellist

icellist Member

oh yea btw, i'm not really informed with some of the canadian skaters

did mira leung retire?
    and who is better between Samson or Lacoste?

26. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Predictions are really hard, this time the advantage will go to those who don't fall too much out of shape once the season peak is over. Which can also be read: those who never particularly peak, or accuratly paln to.

I'll say what my dream podium would be though.
    Asada, Korpi, and then for third place I'd be torn between Murakami and Czisny. I think I enjoy Murakami slightly more, but I'd also love for Czisny to medal at worlds at least once.

-- Wishful thinking.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  27. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

I say right now advantage goes to skaters who are mentally tought and doesn't skate half their program on butt (Kim, Asada, Ando, Murakami). Others like Kostner, Cizney has potential to skates well, but the chances are like winning a lottery. Others like Korppi, Makarova don't have a chance even with ridicolous PCS and pretty bonuses.

Right now chances wise: Ando 30% & Kim 30% (both are already max out their score potential, unless they attempt the 3F and 3Lo respectively). Asada 40% (coz she has potential to outscore both of them). But then, ice is slippery so.

28. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Four of the last three world champions are in this event. :confused:

29. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Although I voted for Yu-na, I would be thrilled if Miki took the gold! :D

30. pinky166

Well Min-Jung just placed 8th at 4CC, ahead of Lacoste and Samson, and she's scored in the mid-high 140s at her past 3 competitions (4cc, Asian Games, Nationals) and her PCS have been improving. If she skates clean and rotates her jumps, she could probably score like 55 for SP and 105 for FS so around 160 overall, which probably could correlate to like 10th place.

If she skates like she did at her recent events, she'll probably finish more 12th-15th if I had to guess, but looking at the 4CC results, if you replace Akiko with Kanako and remove Mirai, and then add the European ladies likely to beat MJ at Worlds - Carolina, Kiira, Ksenia very likely (although not even considering how inconsistent those ladies can be...), that would put Min-Jung in 10th place, and then there's a group of like 5 ladies that could beat her but also might not, those skaters being Alena, Elene, Amelie, and both Helgessons. Skaters like Sarah Hecken, Cheltzie and Mae can be added to that group as well, though I think Min-Jung has a good shot at beating those three at Worlds this year judging from recent results. So if they all beat her, that would be like 19th place, but realistically they probably won't, so I still say 12th-15th is more realistically what she'll place. Maybe like 9, 10, 11 if she skates really well and/or others falter. I know last year she bombed at Worlds, but I tend to think that was because she was burnt out after the Olympics and that won't happen this year. Her URs seem to be less of an issue now, so there is a slim chance Korea could get 3 spots, although I think more likely is that they will just miss getting 3 spots.