Who will medal at NHK?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by icellist, Oct 12, 2010.

Who will medal?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2010.
  1. Dianne Szmiett

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. Kiira Korpi

63 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. Lena Marrocco

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Elene Gedevanishvili

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Jenna McCorkell

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Carolina Costner

47 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. Mao Asada

165 vote(s)
    85.1%
  8. Kanako Murakami

53 vote(s)
    27.3%
  9. Viktoria Helgesson

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. Rachael Flatt

94 vote(s)
    48.5%
  11. Ashley Wagner

79 vote(s)
    40.7%
  12. Caroline Zhang

15 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Meissner competed at NHK in 2005. She finished 5th.

2. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Okay, so she was the bronze medalist in the U.S. that year and she was 4th at Junior Worlds (since she wasn't old enough to compete at senior worlds), which would have been her last "big" competion before being able to do senior GPs in the 05-06 season.

3. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

We have been hearing reports all summer of Ashley and Caroline improving their jumps and other issues. As soon as a report comes out, some expert tells us how that's not possible in such a short time.

I guess we will find out in 10 days. :watch:

4. L'amour

L'amour New Member

Asada - I think she is the best on this field, I not a fan of hers but when she is on, she is the best.

Flat - not a fan at all, but I think she is medal contender.

Korpi - my personal favorite from this field. I think looks great this season. She recevid some nice scores and her LP still have room to grow. She just need to be ON! :D She is not very consistent but I think she migth have a chance to win teh bronze.

Wagner - I really like her and would be great to see her still a medal here.

5. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Didn't Ashley not get dinged for an edge call on her lutz at the summer comps she went to?

6. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Apparently at Liberty she didn't get an edge call but the lutz was 2 footed.

7. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

That's good news if Ashley can get a proper outside edge in a more pressure filled situation like competition, even if she 2-ftd. the landing!

8. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

But which is a worse deduction? ....... a 2-foot or a wrong edge?

9. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

I think its about the same. Hopefully the jump has just been getting stronger for her since then.

10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

What I mean is that an edge is probably harder to fix than 2 ft. If she gets a true edge, the 2 ft. will clear up with confidence and practice

11. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I posted my predictions over in the NHK prediction thread. There, you pick the top 6. My logic is that despite one bad performance at the Japan Open, it's still Mao’s to lose. The European ladies have been not been doing well for a few years, despite a few medals here and there.
    Caroline is usually top U.S. lady in ISU competition, whatever may happen at Nationals. She already has 3 GP medals, so I figure she can medal doing nothing more than recovering from her injuries. She and Ashley have reportedly been working hard on various aspects of their skating. Rachael has been weak this summer.

1. Mao ASADA
    2. Caroline ZHANG
    3. Ashley WAGNER
    4. Rachael FLATT
    5. Carolina KOSTNER
    6. Kanako MURAKAMI

12. pinky166

Kanako 6th on home ice is just not going to happen. I bet she places above Flatt, Wagner, and Zhang, and that none of the US ladies medal. Mao and Kanako will be on the podium along with a Euro lady, likely either Kostner or Korpi.

13. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

:lol:

14. pinky166

I still say it's crazy to assume she'll beat Kanako, who is so dearly loved by the JSF and can skate circles around Caroline.

15. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

The JSF is not judging this event.

16. miki88

miki88 New Member

Kanako is pretty consistent and as someone who swept the junior circuit last year, she has more favor from the ISU judges than many of the American skaters skating at this event. I think she is definitely a contender for at least a podium spot. Where she would place will depend on how Mao and the European ladies do.

17. pinky166

So? It's still in Japan. And she's junior world champ and a very good skater.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Kanako Murakami skated a strong SP (65.62) but only landed 3 triples in her FS (98.46) at Chubu Regionals earlier this month. She reportedly withdrew from Nebelhorn Trophy due to a boot problem.

Rachael Flatt had a rough SP (46.18) but a very good FS (117.21, 7 triples landed) at her 2nd of 2 summer competitions, Colorado Springs Invitational, last month.

Who knows what will happen next week? ;)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I chose Mao, Rachael, and Ashley. Possibly Carolina for the 3rd spot instead.

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Video of Kanako's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zldnLK2b2g0&translated=1
    She landed 3T+3T, 2A and 3F.

The JSF might not be judging, but judges of any nation tend to like skaters with great basics, effortless speed, musicality, charisma and expression - all of which Kanako has in spades, and Caroline and Rachael do not. I don't know what will happen, but if Kanako skates as well as she is capable of (and she's reportedly trying a 3F+3T in the LP this year), I think she'll be on the podium, making a big statement.

21. peibeck

Kanako's a very quick skater with lovely edges. Her presentation is nice but not exceptional at this point. I'm not sure if she has a 3 loop, and her lutz is not the stongest of her jumps. But the 3 sal/2 loop/2 loop combo she did at junior worlds was incredible. No one should underestimate how she could factor into this field.

22. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

peibeck, it looks like she'll be attempting a solo 3Lo in the LP, based on what was posted in the Japan national competitions thread in the K&C. However, she popped it to a single in this competition (along with several other jumps).

23. NMURA

NMURA Member

Maybe not as blatant as Skate Canada though, home favoritism is quite common at NHK trophy. And it's in Nagoya, not just Japan. I think GBR and CAN will be Japan's close allies in this event. That's one reason of inviting skaters from the alternate lists. As always there are majority European judges (six). They wouldn't want two Americans on the podium.

Since 2004, all Japanese ladies (except Shoko Ishikawa) have won NHK trophy medals at their first appearances. (Ando 2004, Nakano 2005, Asada 2006, Takeda 2007, Suzuki 2008). Murakami will win a medal by this rule.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  24. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I had a better impression of her last season. Here she has abhorrent choreography, and that kick into the flip is not a pretty sight. The baby doll costume has got to go, too. Her performance quality reminds me of Mirai's before she went to Frank in that it's overly cutesy and juvenile - this was the main reason why I couldn't warm up to Mirai when she was with Charlene, so I hope Kanako gets that sorted out. It's strange because I think she actually looks older in the face than even Mao (I don't know if it's due to her make-up or whatever), and yet her juniorish choreography totally plays against her facial appearance.

Minor gripes aside, ITA that she has better scoring potential than Caroline and Kiira (and possibly Rachael and Ashley, too, if they're both in an early season funk).

25. peibeck

Good to know she is adding it to the free program this season, thanks oleada!

26. pinky166

Cutesy works for Kanako, she's little and cute and good at skating to upbeat music, so I find no problem with her new program/costume. I was actually noticing how much taller and more mature she looks in that video, looks like she's grown a good few inches since last season.

27. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Kanako has some serious technical issues of her own (flutz, high kick into Lutz and flip, and some nervous UR tendencies). She's definitely going to be a podium threat here, but I don't think she's a lock to medal. There are lots of talented (and inconsistent) girls fighting for medals here.

28. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

It's not like other girls are perfect. All of them have their issues. Kanako is not the only one with the flutz and URs (though she usually gets less URs than Ashley, for example), she is more consistent than US girls except maybe Flatt, and more consistent than Kostner and Korpi. And she will skate at home, I think it's an advantage for her

29. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

When did I say this? I realize that the other ladies have their own flaws too, but some posters here are making it seem like Kanako is going to simply waltz in and take a medal unchallenged. I don't think it will be that easy for her, though I do think she has a good chance at a medal.

30. NMURA

NMURA Member

No one says "unchallenged", but I believe Murakami is in the position "to be challenged" in this field. Her flaws will be overlooked this time as a home advantage, but not for the Americans. That's my reasoning.

ETA
    Murakami is extremely consistent in the SP. She hasn't made any visible errors in past 8 or 9 competitions. Her 3-3 is now becoming perfect. I think no American can beat her in the SP. That will help her in the FS, especially in PCS.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010